The Vintage PIONEER Thread!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I received the Pioneer SG-9800 Graphic Equalizer from Mark this week and installed it in my rack this morning. It is however not yet hooked up as I need another pair of IC's...I thought for sure I had 2 pair. No biggie though as I'll pick some up this week.

Here are a few shots. I still need to give it a good cleaning, but I'll do that once it no longer needs to be moved.

Now I'm thinking of adding a Pioneer Cassette Deck into the equation. Any recommendations as to Models?

001..JPG
002..JPG

NOTE: Many people have commented to say that my right Totem speaker is not centred on the Bamboo plinth. It's an optical illusion...I assure you it is. ;)

Primare

Apr 24, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Vintage system

Hello,
One year ago I decided to create a vintage system. To complete some dreams from my youth.
I have started with Technics components but switch to Pioneer recently. So far I have a r2r deck, a tape deck and an amplifier from the late 80s. And I really like them.
Have a nice week!
BR,
Ivo image.jpg
Sorry for the picture - couldn't attached it properly

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would have killed for that system in my youth. You are tempting me to go and build one now. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I know you are tired of seeing it but this seems like an appropriate place to leave this! :)
I had no idea a cassette could actually be listenable, impressed with that player. Mostly use it for books on tape, but snagged a couple music cassettes and was pleasantly surprised!

20141229_114603_zpsqhsnyomd.jpeg

20140519_121410_zpsjcbdtizt.jpg

specrackopen_zps9e56cbe3.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
With exception of my Pioneer RT-909, all of the other pieces are gone. I just don't have the room for 2 systems.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I have been considering the 909 just to have one, after hearing the Studers I am afraid.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have been considering the 909 just to have one, after hearing the Studers I am afraid.
Obviously no comparison, but I can't afford a decked out Studer.

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
My "vintage", largely Pioneer rig: SX-1980 receiver, DSS-9 speakers, RT-707 RTR, SD-1100 scope, SR-303 reverb amplifier, RG-3 dynamic range expander. Also in shot is a TEAC 3340S and a Sansui SE-8X EQ.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That's one big receiver! Introduced in 1978 and weighting 35.4 kilos!

? http://www.vintageaudioaddict.com/pioneer_sx1980.htm

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing