There is a new king in town! Motorola Droidx

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, the fact that desktop Chrome browser works and that doesn't, I say the bug is in the Droidx. That said, every browser had a ton of bugs and web software is designed to work around it. In that regard, I say vbulletin needs to work around it.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Amir, have you tried/downloaded any other browsers on the phone? FWIW, I use Dolphin HD on my Droid and it works fine.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hate to mess with our software to fix that single bug.
We wouldn't be doing the messing. They would have to roll it into one of their future releases.

When I get time I will also search to see if they have already seen this problem and are working on it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, have you tried/downloaded any other browsers on the phone? FWIW, I use Dolphin HD on my Droid and it works fine.
No, I have not. I like Chrome on desktop so didn't feel the need to switch until I ran into this issue. Compatibility has been really good and performance excellent. Is Dolphin free? And have you tried to post with it?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Dolphin is free. I also downloaded Opera which also is free but I haven't played with it much. I can't remember if I have tried to post with Dolphin. I'll give it a shot this evening and let you know.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Why the HD in the name Ron. Is it only for droid phones
There are 2 versions of the Dolphin browser program and one is "HD" which is a higher resolution version.

Thanks Ron. Which option did you use for posting? I found one that worked (plain "Reply") but the other two would not.
I think I first hit the Go Advanced button and then hit submit.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
FYI I woke up this morning and a new version of the software pushed to my phone. Not sure what it is supposed to fix.

Related to this, I find this version of the Android OS quite a bit more reliable than what ran on my last Droid. Email for example is rock solid but used to crash before. There are other usability also. For example, it used to be that if you had the touch keyboard up in portrait mode, rotating the phone would make it go away forcing you to bring it back up again. Now it stays there. All of this was true before this morning's upgrade btw.

On battery life as with computers, it is highly dependent on how you use the phone and what networks you use (wifi, BT, etc.), how close you are to cell towers, etc. I need my phone working all the time so I have not yet let it go to empty but will run a test at some point.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, the honeymoon is over with this phone :). Battery life is disappointing. It lasts a day and half and it goes abruptly from ample power to warning that it is too low. A caveat though: when I bought the phone the battery that came with it was dead and the sales guy went in the back and got another one. So maybe that one was more abused.

Second problem is pairing with my car's Bluetooth. The old Droid was pretty reliable. This one has problems often, requiring that I turn BT off and on. Nothing else gets it to talk to it. Mind you, the old droid had problems once in a great while too. But this one seems far worse. It is amazing that Motorola would produce the same phone with the same OS and create regressions like this. Next to HDMI, BT is one of the worst interoperability "standards" created. So many years after introduction and simple stuff like this doesn't work. Worst yet, are the obscure error messages: "Your phone is paired but not connected." Come again? Would my next step be reading the source code and protocol spec for BT to know what is going on? Some engineers should have no business creating user interfaces...

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
...Battery life is disappointing. It lasts a day and half and it goes abruptly from ample power to warning that it is too low...

I don't find this too bad. If I leave the Blue Tooth on that would be the result with my BlackBerry Storm 2 which otherwise is very good on power consumption.

Doesn't one expect a well-used modern 3g smart phone to require charging once per day?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That has been the old standard. But the guy told me this has better battery life and what I find is that it is somewhat shorter than my Droid. That said, I am using the fixed mail app now instead of a different program so maybe it is polling more often.

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
Well I am sorry to hear of your problems surfacing, but I am waiting for mine to be delivered on 8/3 as they were out of stock. I'm quite excited. The battery issues don't surprise me, its a fact that the bigger the screen the shorter the battery life, and that sceen is sweet!! I've read the new Droid update was a big fix, including BT issues. Have you tried the BT since the upgrade? Did the BT in your car work with other devices well? You might consider calling VZ on that.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
amirm, Are you a pretty heavy power used? Are you using the phone an awful, awesome amount?

I maybe should pm you but today my wife (Sarah) is expressing some frustration with her new iPhone 4. It probably has worse reception in our house than her original iPhone from 2007. She sees me wandering around the house with my BB Storm 2 on Verizon with 3 bars while she is getting dropped calls. I think the main problem is AT&T which is the reason I switched to Verizon. She is now thinking about taking up Apple's offer to return the phone and go to an Android on Verizon. She is already synched with Google on the web. She uses the web (more and more now that she has 3G), GPS and navigation and really loves the stargazer programs. I suspect if she had something like the X she would use it.

So, your comments--particularly on battery--are pretty important to my advising her since we may make the switch in the next couple of days. Are you saying that the original Droid is more usable than the X for mortals? What would be your advice? The Incredible? Which Android phone should she get?

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
FWIW, I played with both in the store and the touch screen on the X was far better than the Incredible. The Incredible seems hard to use for my big fingers, but the X was fine and this was the basic reason I chose it over the other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing