There is a smarter way

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I haven’t been to fat duck yet. “Dinner” always has excellent starters and the mains disappoint.
Yup … pretty much sums it up succinctly on both occasions we have dined there.… Thankfully I wasn’t paying :D

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Keep in mind that the settings have not been changed since they were optimized several months ago and are consistent with all these recordings. One more example of the Remastering process on my WAAR system:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hey Carlos, just curious, with all your tweaky mastering techniques, can you explain how you reconcile the plethora of gear and row of speakers surely causing SBIR to achieve your purported great sonics? shit setup.PNG

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Hey Carlos, just curious, with all your tweaky mastering techniques, can you explain how you reconcile the plethora of gear and row of speakers surely causing SBIR to achieve your purported great sonics? View attachment 115375

I explained it earlier. I have been in this hobby for over 35 years and have now explorer every faction of the hobby. As a result I have collected some extremely rare and one of a kind pieces that I have no interest in selling. If you go to my old thread you can see and listen to some 70% of the equipment that I own:

Friday night listening

I have not posted any of my new acquisitions, for the last two or three years on that thread because of the site ownership issue.

When I left the audiophile world for 7 years and went to the high-end mastering studio world, I put together two very large and comprehensive Mastering systems with many unique and special processors, both digital and analog. For my new Remastering process, which I have implemented on my WAAR system, I have chosen to use only the minimum amount of equipment needed. This allows you to sequence a simpler chain but it is still powerful enough yo allow for a wide range of adjustments. The other difference between the Remastering system and my Mastering set ups is that the Remastering system is all done in the analog domain and all digital adjustments are done with HQPLAYER. This is a big deal as it simplifies things quite a bit.

As far as all the speakers having “SBIR” issues, well listen for yourself the proof is always on the resultant sound. I hear no issues, just the opposite, extremely great sounding music, which is my goal.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I explained it earlier. I have been in this hobby for over 35 years and have now explorer every faction of the hobby. As a result I have collected some extremely rare and one of a kind pieces that I have no interest in selling. If you go to my old thread you can see and listen to some 70% of the equipment that I own:

Friday night listening

I have not posted any of my new acquisitions, for the last two or three years on that thread because of the site ownership issue.

Carlos, what do you mean by "site ownership issue"?

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlos, what do you mean by "site ownership issue"?

For one, WBF owns what you post here and second Steve Williams has embarked on a series of unprovoked personal attacks on me. Steve Williams called me a blowhard and encouraged others to hit the ignore button on me as a few examples of his unprovoked lewd behavior towards me. And for that he gets the minimum from me, the greatest asset to this site.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
For one, WBF owns what you post here and second Steve Williams has embarked on a series of unprovoked personal attacks on me. Steve Williams called me a blowhard and encouraged others to hit the ignore button on me as a few examples of his unprovoked lewd behavior towards me. And for that he gets the minimum from me, the greatest asset to this site.

I understand. I think you are mistaken about your contributions being the greatest asset of this site. This site is not about what is best in audio, it is increasingly about what is best for the high end industry. It is about marketing new products and supporting the interests of the high-end industry. Though I find your contributions interesting, they present an alternative point of view and are not what this site is about right now.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I understand. I think you are mistaken about your contributions being the greatest asset of this site. This site is not about what is best in audio, it is increasingly about what is best for the high end industry. It is about marketing new products and supporting the interests of the high-end industry. Though I find your contributions interesting, they present an alternative point of view and are not what this site is about right now.

Peter you are correct. I stand corrected. Very well stated.

Reactions: PeterA

Republicoftexas69

Friday night listening

When I left the audiophile world for 7 years and went to the high-end mastering studio world, I put together two very large and comprehensive Mastering systems with many unique and special processors, both digital and analog. For my new Remastering process, which I have implemented on my WAAR system, I have chosen to use only the minimum amount of equipment needed. This allows you to sequence a simpler chain but it is still powerful enough yo allow for a wide range of adjustments. The other difference between the Remastering system and my Mastering set ups is that the Remastering system is all done in the analog domain and all digital adjustments are done with HQPLAYER. This is a big deal as it simplifies things quite a bit.

As far as all the speakers having “SBIR” issues, well listen for yourself the proof is always on the resultant sound. I hear no issues, just the opposite, extremely great sounding music, which is my goal.
I normally ignore your posts and could not help but notice the arrogance in the first paragraph of this post. I will now go back to ignoring your posts as there is nothing to see here. YT videos are not the benchmark if it is the bar is set quite low.

Reactions: sbo6

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I normally ignore your posts and could not help but notice the arrogance in the first paragraph of this post. I will now go back to ignoring your posts as there is nothing to see here. YT videos are not the benchmark if it is the bar is set quite low.

How can that factual information on the first paragraph be considered arragance? I’m at a lost here. I have no idea what you took offense to. YT videos are no benchmark but they are representative.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Friday night listening

Thanks for the reply.

I read the first paragraph as - Look at me, I know what I'm doing, I am a master tweaker.

I read the second paragraph as - I've discredited the first paragraph ignoring a well - documented and measurable deleterious sonic effect from speaker placement peppered with subjectivisms.

Can't have it both ways. ;-)

In any case, I was just curious as to your response, enjoy!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
A) "Owns" is a strong word, owns exactly what?
B) Before criticizing anyone for name calling and insulting, I strongly urge you to pick almost any of your posts and re-read them.
C) At the end of the day, if Steve and others are so unfair, why not just leave WBF? With all your purported tech knowledge, maybe ASR is a better fit? Lots of alpha males there ;-)

Reactions: Daverich4

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

I read the first paragraph as - Look at me, I know what I'm doing, I am a master tweaker.

I read the second paragraph as - I've discredited the first paragraph ignoring a well - documented and measurable deleterious sonic effect from speaker placement peppered with subjectivisms.

Can't have it both ways. ;-)

In any case, I was just curious as to your response, enjoy!

Fair enough. Please carry on as you are doing and let’s see how far that takes you and at what expense.

A) "Owns" is a strong word, owns exactly what?
B) Before criticizing anyone for name calling and insulting, I strongly urge you to pick almost any of your posts and re-read them.
C) At the end of the day, if Steve and others are so unfair, why not just leave WBF? With all your purported tech knowledge, maybe ASR is a better fit? Lots of alpha males there ;-)

A) Please read the WBF Terms Of Service agreement

B) I don’t mind trading blows with people that I engage. Just don’t care for comments from someone who I don’t engage with and who as an owner should remain impartial

C) I’m active on other sites and enjoy certain aspects of each one. We are all free to browse around and read & participate where we want to

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Fair enough. Please carry on as you are doing and let’s see how far that takes you and at what expense.

A) Please read the WBF Terms Of Service agreement

B) I don’t mind trading blows with people that I engage. Just don’t care for comments from someone who I don’t engage with and who as an owner should remain impartial

C) I’m active on other sites and enjoy certain aspects of each one. We are all free to browse around and read & participate where we want to
Carlos, you're a pip! You must not own any mirrors. No worries, it's all good, enjoy my friend!

Reactions: Carlos269

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlos, you're a pip! You must not own any mirrors. No worries, it's all good, enjoy my friend!

It’s all good here!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Peter, my various DHT-SET systems are world class and I have not heard better; that is why they are used as the reference to judge the other videos by. The DHT-SET systems also benefit from the contributions from the upgraded plasma super-tweeters tweeters, which after implementing the Remastering process are no longer needed with the WAAR system.

Having said all the above about my DHT-SET systems, there is no denying the power and resolution of the WAAR system with the Remastering process.

You are classical music lover so perhaps this video will get the point across to you and others of the power, scale, and resolution of the WAAR system with the Remastering process:

Carlos - would you please re-record the Shostakovich 8th Symphony 3rd movement. The full movement is ~7:30, yours goes to 5:58. Yours cuts off right in the middle of the drumroll that precedes the ciimactic peak with the gong strikes. I want to compare yours with mine which at 6 months old is still very much a work in progress.

I'm assuming yours is also Haitink with the Concertgebouw. Tia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee and PeterA

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlos - would you please re-record the Shostakovich 8th Symphony 3rd movement. The full movement is ~7:30, yours goes to 5:58. Yours cuts off right in the middle of the drumroll that precedes the ciimactic peak with the gong strikes. I want to compare yours with mine which at 6 months old is still very much a work in progress.

I'm assuming yours is also Haitink with the Concertgebouw. Tia.

Tim, I stream through Tidal. Can you send me a link to the Tidal track that you want me to record. I want to make sure that I record the correct version as there are many versions available.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, I stream through Tidal. Can you send me a link to the Tidal track that you want me to record. I want to make sure that I record the correct version as there are many versions available.

I know nothing about Tidal. Use what you did in the video that you already posted. It Shostakovich Symphony 8 movement 3.

russtafarian

Jul 11, 2012
Mid-side processing is a powerful tool. I'm curious to know what you use to move from stereo to M + S and back. You can message me if you don't want to get into it here. Thanks.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Mid-side processing is a powerful tool. I'm curious to know what you use to move from stereo to M + S and back. You can message me if you don't want to get into it here. Thanks.

There are a number of devices but M+S alone will only let you edit the stereo field width. You also have to maintain phase or you will cancel out information when you collapse it. Need to be very knowledgeable when using these types of tools.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing