There is a smarter way

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I watched the videos and I liked the first one (DHT/SET/HORN). It sounds more intimate, open, natural and totally different than other two to my ears.

I love the sound of my DHT/SET/HORN and completely agree with your characterization of the sound of that video. Having said that, yes I agree that it’s not an exact replica but my big system with the remastering sounds simply phenomenal and checks all my boxes. It is nice to have all these options available in the same room.

Reactions: mtemur

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I love the sound of my DHT/SET/HORN and completely agree with your characterization of the sound of that video. Having said that, yes I agree that it’s not an exact replica but my big system with the remastering sounds simply phenomenal and checks all my boxes. It is nice to have all these options available in the same room.
Your DHT system is really nice Carlos. Can you list the components?

Reactions: Carlos269

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
It sounds really good. Congratulations.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Your DHT system is really nice Carlos. Can you list the components?

Thank you for the nice comment. The DHT/SET/HORN featured in the video is as follows:

ROON (streaming Tidal) =>> HQPLAYER 5 ==>> DSD512X48 ==> custom bespoke ValveDac - RAW DSD version ==> custom bespoke Radu Tarta Ultimate DHT (01A drives 71A) ==> (1) custom bespoke Radu Tarta Ultimate SET (EML 20A MESH drives 300B) ==> Loth-X Polaris back horn loaded cabinets with SEAS full range high efficiency drivers (2) Intact Audio (Dave Slagle) custom autoformer volume control ==> custom DIY First Watt M2X+ ==> TBI Audio Systems Emperor custom subwoofers (pair) crossed-over at 80Hz (discrete LC)

Hopefully that is clear and easy to follow.

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
It sounds really good. Congratulations.

Thank you for the nice words. I have been enjoying it. The power dynamics, in terms of the sheer amount of headroom available, that the big system brings to the presentation is really impressive. It is almost impossible to strain this system within the context of my listening environment so having the tools in place to sculpt and dial in the sound to one’s satisfaction without real concerns that you will cause damage to the drivers or overload the upstream electronics is very liberating in terms of what you can do, how far you can push it and not in loudness terms. Thanks again for the nice comment.

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I wonder if you ever compared Audirvana to HQPlayer.

No, I have not. I have never used or tried Audionirvana.

I started on HQPLAYER with HQP 3, and have become more and more impressed with Jussi Laako’s work as the years have gone by. Jussi is one of the current marvels in the world of digital audio. He ports technology and techniques from his classified background work to create filters and modulators that extract additional fine details out of the information available and presents it to the dac in a form where the dac can do the least harm to the data-stream. As you can tell, I’m a big fan of the work that Jussi does with Signalyst.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
No, I have not. I have never used or tried Audionirvana.

I started on HQPLAYER with HQP 3, and have become more and more impressed with Jussi Laako’s work as the years have gone by. Jussi is one of the current marvels in the world of digital audio. He ports technology and techniques from his classified background work to create filters and modulators that extract additional fine details out of the information available and presents it to the dac in a form where the dac can do the least harm to the data-stream. As you can tell, I’m a big fan of the work that Jussi does with Signalyst.
I remember trying HQPlayer but I did not compare it to Audirvana either. I'm a long time Audirvana user. It sounds very good especially when filter is set to minimum phase.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Results with lastest Remastering process configuration on the big Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush reference system:

Reactions: cjfrbw and dan31

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Watch the 60 Minutes segment and you will be surprised by what he has to say. I agree that he’s a genius but not in the way that I had anticipated. He did change the course of the music world single handedly. Love his work with Slayer. May Rick Rubin always Reign In Blood forever! The best speed metal and thrash metal/core album ever!!!!!!!!!!
Always wondered what Rubin would have done with Rush...

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Results with lastest Remastering process configuration on the big Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush reference system:

Keith Don’t Go….
I’m a little disappointed, Carlos!

How about something to test your skills and WAAR system?

X—The Hungry Wolf
from Under the Big Black Sun. Quboz streaming.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Keith Don’t Go….
I’m a little disappointed, Carlos!

How about something to test your skills and WAAR system?

X—The Hungry Wolf
from Under the Big Black Sun. Quboz streaming.

Will unfortunately in order for the track to allow for meaningful comparisons it must be one with a good number of other videos of high caliber systems playing the same song. I would have loved to have posted a video of “Juana” by Bomba Estereo but who would have noticed the quality right off the bat? What are you thinking when you write a track that is a test of my skills and the WAAR Remastering system? I’m curious to see how original your suggestion is.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Will unfortunately in order for the track to allow meaningful comparison it must be one with a good number of other videos of high caliber systems playing the same song. I would have love to have posted a video of “Juana” by Bomba Estereo but who would have notice the quality right off the bat? What are you thinking when you write a track that is test my skills and the WAAR Remastering system? I’m curious to see how original your suggestion is.
I'm suggesting this track for several reasons:

1. I think it's thrilling music -- and outside of the oh so carefully picked audiophile low hanging fruit that presents no challenge to any system.

2. The X recordings are a good example of interesting music that I don't often listen to because there are serious flaws in the sound quality.

3. I would like to see if anyone out there can make a video of this track where it's flaws are ameliorated. Maybe impossible! The guitar and drums are great, but there is harshness when the vocals get amped up (particularly Exene). I suspect it's poor recording/mastering -- and why much digital sounds do bad.

4. And mostly, I'm curious if your deployment of the mastering tools at your disposal could make improvements in this flawed recording.

I don't think we need to listen to "Keith" anymore. Let's try something new. There are a number of people here interested in using video to analyze and compare their systems. Mine is in flux now but I can make a video of this track sometime next week.

For all I know, maybe my system is more at fault than the recording. This would be a good way to find out. I'd like to see the same Qobuz version compared, but if anyone has a good vinyl pressing to share with us, I'd love to hear that as well.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Got it. If I get a chance I will make a video for you with my current settings, I’m enjoying them too much to make any changes as everything sounds so much better, to me, with these remastering techniques and settings right now.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I'm suggesting this track for several reasons:

1. I think it's thrilling music -- and outside of the oh so carefully picked audiophile low hanging fruit that presents no challenge to any system.

2. The X recordings are a good example of interesting music that I don't often listen to because there are serious flaws in the sound quality.

3. I would like to see if anyone out there can make a video of this track where it's flaws are ameliorated. Maybe impossible! The guitar and drums are great, but there is harshness when the vocals get amped up (particularly Exene). I suspect it's poor recording/mastering -- and why much digital sounds do bad.

4. And mostly, I'm curious if your deployment of the mastering tools at your disposal could make improvements in this flawed recording.

I don't think we need to listen to "Keith" anymore. Let's try something new. There are a number of people here interested in using video to analyze and compare their systems. Mine is in flux now but I can make a video of this track sometime next week.

For all I know, maybe my system is more at fault than the recording. This would be a good way to find out. I'd like to see the same Qobuz version compared, but if anyone has a good vinyl pressing to share with us, I'd love to hear that as well.

Will, I’m turning in my test, here is the video of X’s “The Hungry Wolf” played on my big Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush system, with the Remastering process:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Will, I’m turning in my test, here is the video of X’s “The Hungry Wolf” played on my big Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush system, with the Remastering process:

Thanks! Very interesting. I don't hear the higher frequency harshness that I get on my system, but it does sound relatively muddy/bass heavy.

That said, it's more listenable (ie better) than what I hear currently. Did you make any particular adjustments through your re-master setup for this recording?. To me, it sounds like it was "softened" to make the high frequencies more palatable.

If you have the time, I'm curious how this track translated through your DHT/Horn system?

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Thanks! Very interesting. I don't hear the higher frequency harshness that I get on my system, but it does sound relatively muddy/bass heavy.

That said, it's more listenable (ie better) than what I hear currently. Did you make any particular adjustments through your re-master setup for this recording?. To me, it sounds like it was "softened" to make the high frequencies more palatable.

If you have the time, I'm curious how this track translated through your DHT/Horn system?

No adjustments were made for this recording. Let me reiterate, my REMASTERING process is not aimed at remastering individual recordings, although it is certainly capable of that. The objective of my REMASTERING process is to tailor the sound of the system to achieve all the sonic objectives associated with my individual preferences. I hope that is clear.

I have to be honest with you, I don’t like this song. It is not a song or band that I would normally listen to, but next time that I’m listening to one of my DHT/SET/HORN systems I will record a video for you, if I remember.

Reactions: wil

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
In a concise way, what I’m doing by turning knobs, moving sliders and pressing buttons is to achieve the same objective that the constant buying and “upgrading” in doing equipment, cable, isolation/coupling/grounding by trial-and-error is attempting to achieve in the conventional approach, but with a more predetermined, scalable, defeatable/by-passable, recallable, more cost effective and overall smarter manner than the traditional audiophile high-end audio method.
Although both are aimed at a more enjoyable sonic experience, tweaking the frequency response (maybe phase also) of your system does not equal upgrading components for better sonics. Related but different.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Although both are aimed at a more enjoyable sonic experience, tweaking the frequency response (maybe phase also) of your system does not equal upgrading components for better sonics. Related but different.

Care to elaborate? How does it differ? In what way do you think that upgrading components is different?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing