Thieliste's new Reference system

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Very nice. Always good to find something better for less money.

Reactions: christoph

PabloHoney

Apr 10, 2023
Hi guys, been working on my Thiels this weekend with a friend of mine replacing the stock binding posts for Mundorf gold plated OFC copper ones, the same ones i have on my Vitus SIA-025.
We used Mundorf 10% silver wire for soldering.
View attachment 100274 View attachment 100275 View attachment 100276 View attachment 100277 View attachment 100278
Were these a direct fit or was modification needed to be made? I see you are running Cardas speaker cables, what was your decision in going with the Mundorf versus Cardas speaker posts?

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Were these a direct fit or was modification needed to be made? I see you are running Cardas speaker cables, what was your decicion in going with the Mundorf versus Cardas speaker posts?
Well the Mundorf binding posts are the exact same ones as the ones on my Vitus SIA-025.
They are much better built quality than the Cardas ones.
It was not very difficule to fit them on the Thiel acrylic plates, just had to drill bigger holes.
Got the Mundorf binding post at a really good price from a friend who was selling his own.
The soldering was done with Mundorf 10% silver soldering wire.

PabloHoney

Apr 10, 2023
Well the Mundorf binding posts are the exact same ones as the ones on my Vitus SIA-025.
They are much better built quality than the Cardas ones.
It was not very difficule to fit them on the Thiel acrylic plates, just had to drill bigger holes.
Got the Mundorf binding post at a really good price from a friend who was selling his own.
The soldering was done with Mundorf 10% silver soldering wire.
Sounds good, thanks for the information!

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Since my great experience with Furutech DSP 4.1 PCs i decided to go further and ordered 2 Furutech FP-S55N equiped with the same FI50 plugs for my Aqua LinQ streamer and Formula xHD DAC.
The result is night and day better compared to my ex Audioquest Firebird Source PCs.
The FP-S55N are even more musical and full body compared to the DSP-4.1s, they have tube like warmth.
Consider this cable if you think your source is a little too analytical you will be amazed. Furutech 1.jpg Furutech 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PavelDosko

M2M

Nov 23, 2021
Since my great experience with Furutech DSP 4.1 PCs i decided to go further and ordered 2 Furutech FP-S55N equiped with the same FI50 plugs for my Aqua LinQ streamer and Formula xHD DAC.
The result is night and day better compared to my ex Audioquest Firebird Source PCs.
The FP-S55N are even more musical and full body compared to the DSP-4.1s, they have tube like warmth.
Consider this cable if you think your source is a little too analytical you will be amazed. View attachment 109339 View attachment 109340
Is it possible FireBird did not break-in completely? It may take one month or more to fully break in.
I love to know because I'm interested replace my old Furutech PC (FI-50 with Alpha-3) with FireBird.

Also, would be interested to know what did you found more about the difference between DPS-4.1 and FFP-S55N.
Thanks!

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
No it’s not possible because they were more than 18 months old.
I think it’s more a matter of synergy.
S55N is more organic and has more meat on the bone than DSP 4.1
Great cable for source and DSP 4.1 better for pre-power.

M2M

Nov 23, 2021
18 more than enough!
No it’s not possible because they were more than 18 months old.
I think it’s more a matter of synergy.
S55N is more organic and has more meat on the bone than DSP 4.1
Great cable for source and DSP 4.1 better for pre-power.
18 months should be more than enough!
Please enjoy and have fun.

Reactions: Thieliste

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, did a little shootout between my Vitus SIA-025 Mk2 and a Jadis DA88S equiped with 8 KT120s.
First time i try tubes on my Thiels, what a big surprise, i found the Jadis to be a better match than most SS i tried including my Vitus.

Jadis 3.jpg Jadis 2.jpg Jadis 1.jpg

Reactions: tom539 and thomask

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'm glad you did this experiment! Thank you for the report!

(Of course from the point of view of my parochial listening preferences, I am not at all surprised at the outcome.)

Can you please describe in what sonic ways you are finding the Jadis to be a "better match"?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

(Of course from the point of view of my parochial listening preferences, I am not at all surprised at the outcome.)

Can you please describe in what sonic ways you are finding the Jadis to be a "better match"?
Let me guess..."breathe of life", possibly a greater depth of midband power and color? Very much looking forward to reading more about Thieliste's experience here!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

Ron … I may be reading @Thieliste ’s post incorrectly , however I interperated it as more of the fundimental disparities of topology between Solid State Vs Thermionic … rather than one of a particular manufacturers valve based amplification technology .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...I think I took it like Ron did...that Thieliste was surprised that the Jadis sounded better on this speakers than other SS amps including the Vitus. Lets see...in any event, more color about his experience will no doubt be interesting to read.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron … I may be reading @Thieliste ’s post incorrectly , however I interperated it as more of the fundimental disparities of topology between Solid State Vs Thermionic … rather than one of a particular manufacturers valve based amplification technology .

I'm a simple guy. I interpreted his post as comparing his Vitus SIA-025 Mk2 solid-state incumbent to his new Jadis DA88S tube contender.

Obviously, the Jadis, being a tube design, is going to offer some characteristics of tube topology.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Most interesting indeed @LL21 … curiously you are the only respondent thus far to use the descriptor “Color”’d wheras @Thieliste has not ! Merely posting his initial thoughts on what may be for him … something of an epiphany .

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I'm a simple guy. I interpreted his post as comparing his Vitus SIA-025 Mk2 solid-state incumbent to his new Jadis DA88S tube contender.

Obviously, the Jadis, being a tube design, is going to offer some characteristics of tube topology.
You may be entirely correct Ron , hopefully the corespondent will clarify his initial post in due course.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
As some of you know Thiel speakers are pretty difficult to match with the right amp, they are ultra revealing, easily become harsh in the trebel if the amp is not smooth.
I have tried many SS amps and the only one that is really refined and musical with my Thiels is my Vitus SIA-025 Mk2.
This is definitely the most musical SS i have ever tried.
But i said to myself if i want to push further the musical engagement factor i have to try a good solid Class A PP tube amp.
I happen to live 3h away from the Jadis factory therefore it was easy fo me to get a unit in for audition.
The DA series is the best Jadis integrated series they have ever made therefore i asked for a DA88S, the most powerful one.
I was expecting a very high level of musical engagement but not the level of handling of my Thiels.
This Jadis handles my Thiels just as good as my Vitus if not better, the bass is not muddy at all it is fast, crisp and very solid.
The level of clarity of this Jadis is insane with so much more density and fullness than the Vitus.
The mid range and trebel is leagues ahead of my Vitus in terms of emotion, liquidity and smoothness.
To sum up the Jadis sounds like real live music on my Thiels, SS don't even come close.
I'm sure Jadis amps would also be spectacular on Magico speakers.
Hope that helps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As some of you know Thiel speakers are pretty difficult to match with the right amp, they are ultra revealing, easily become harsh in the trebel if the amp is not smooth.
I have tried many SS amps and the only one that is really refined and musical with my Thiels is my Vitus SIA-025 Mk2.
This is definitely the most musical SS i have ever tried.
But i said to myself if i want to push further the musical engagement factor i have to try a good solid Class A PP tube amp.
I happen to live 3h away from the Jadis factory therefore it was easy fo me to get a unit in for audition.
The DA series is the best Jadis integrated series they have ever made therefore i asked for a DA88S, the most powerful one.
I was expecting a very high level of musical engagement but not the level of handling of my Thiels.
This Jadis handles my Thiels just as good as my Vitus if not better, the bass is not muddy at all it is fast, crisp and very solid.
The level of clarity of this Jadis is insane with so much more density and fullness than the Vitus.
The mid range and trebel is leagues ahead of my Vitus in terms of emotion, liquidity and smoothness.
To sum up the Jadis sounds like real live music on my Thiels, SS don't even come close.
Hope that helps.
It helps tons. Thank you! And congrats! It sounds like you have discovered new magic! Always great enjoyment when that happens!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Funny you should say that. The most I ever enjoyed Magico was when it was driven by Jadis. KeithR will remember this, too.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Very Nice Indeed , In no small part due to the quality of the Jadis *In house* wound Output transformers :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing