This is my system.

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
This is my system. There are many like it. But this one is mine...

I know I don't have the best system in the world, but I love what I have built. I didn't build it alone. I am indebted to the knowledge, expertise, passion and generosity of the few people I have been fortunate enough to meet and call friends and who helped me figure out how to build a system that's right for me. Like a lot of people my age, 57, I heard a friend's Dad's McIntosh/Klipsch system back in the 70s and was blown away. I had no idea that the thing I already loved - music - could make me love it even more. I was hooked. Specifically I was hooked on that big, immersive, dynamic, warm, human sound. But back then I'd probably just say that it was so loud and so killer. Experiences like that don't leave you. I can't discount the fact that what drives my current system is in part driven by trying to do the impossible - that is, re-capture that overwhelming love of music that I first felt back in the day.

My system is about energy and emotional engagement. It's purely subjective criteria.

David DB48D7B7-BBB1-4B68-B12B-19FC5569C89F.jpeg FAA4686E-0BA5-4112-B7A0-429D7D06D473.jpeg A4C0EFAC-C4B3-4A68-B938-8A017F870288.jpeg F3B5071C-5478-410C-852E-5E220E8BBB12.jpeg EF4522B4-2ECC-40D3-AACC-A903C9BB819D.jpeg 03E31134-F238-4B1D-A2AB-BA3FA82DF466.jpeg C2204D21-3F27-4C8D-AD01-A6333C217DA8.jpeg

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

I know I don't have the best system in the world, but I love what I have built. I didn't build it alone. I am indebted to the knowledge, expertise, passion and generosity of the few people I have been fortunate enough to meet and call friends and who helped me figure out how to build a system that's right for me. Like a lot of people my age, 57, I heard a friend's Dad's McIntosh/Klipsch system back in the 70s and was blown away. I had no idea that the thing I already loved - music - could make me love it even more. I was hooked. Specifically I was hooked on that big, immersive, dynamic, warm, human sound. But back then I'd probably just say that it was so loud and so killer. Experiences like that don't leave you. I can't discount the fact that what drives my current system is in part driven by trying to do the impossible - that is, re-capture that overwhelming love of music that I first felt back in the day.

My system is about energy and emotional engagement. It's purely subjective criteria.

David View attachment 103470 View attachment 103465 View attachment 103466 View attachment 103467 View attachment 103468 View attachment 103469 View attachment 103472
Very cool pared back setup and also like your design philosophy… nice!! Congratulations n+1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello David,

Welcome to WBF!

Energy and emotional engagement are fantastic subjective criteria! Congratulations!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

David View attachment 103470 View attachment 103465 View attachment 103466 View attachment 103467 View attachment 103468 View attachment 103469 View attachment 103472

Nice, n+1. So you have Altec woofers in an Onken cab with 288s and MK horns, and TAD 2001 tweeter. Did you build this yourself? Is it all passive crossover?

I see that you additionally have a smaller set of MK horns which are on the floor, which would have the same dispersion as your 1505. Is there any reason you did not prefer them and they are on the floor?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You're too modest. Welcome to WBF and congratulations on your accomplishment.

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
Nice, n+1. So you have Altec woofers in an Onken cab with 288s and MK horns, and TAD 2001 tweeter. Did you build this yourself? Is it all passive crossover?

I see that you additionally have a smaller set of MK horns which are on the floor, which would have the same dispersion as your 1505. Is there any reason you did not prefer them and they are on the floor?
Hi bonzo75. Thank for the questions and comments. The woofers are Altec replicas from Great Plains Audio. They are mounted in Onken Grande cabinets. I used the plans that Jean Hiraga wrote: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/Hiraga-Onkens-English.pdf. I worked with a local woodworker. We followed the plans as closely as we possibly could. The crossover is a passive series design. I made two sets of crossovers with modest but respectable parts - one parallel and the other series. I prefer the series. I have two Dave Slagle speakerformers for each crossover. One on the MK1505 and the other on the tweeter/HF. They really help with dialing in a smooth integration of drivers. As for the smaller set of multicell horns, per Markus Klug's recommendation, he suggested using them on the TAD2001 for high frequencies, it was too much treble energy. It just sprays it everywhere in my room. They're only on the floor because, well, I just haven't picked them up off the floor yet.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK

Very nice system do you have a list of items in the system

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
Very nice system do you have a list of items in the system
Thank you Lee. Here's the list:

Sources: I have two turntables for a total of 3 arms. Turntable No. 1 started out as a Verdier. I kept the platter and sub-platter assembly and bearing. I liked what J Weiss at OMA was doing with massive slate plinths and armboards. He made me a 120 lb slate plinth with a set of slate armboards. This turntable is around 165 lbs of caveman mass sitting on four Fabreeka pneumatic isolators. I retained the original Verdier motor. I like it. This turntable has two arms. The first is an Analog Magik re-built FR-66s. Mounted to it is a Koetsu Jade Platinum. The second tonearm is a Dynavector DV507II. Mounted to it is a Myajima Infinity Mono. Turntable No. 2 is a Foundation Turntable by Azzolina Audio. You can see in the picture that it pays homage to the granite plinth of the Verdier Granito. I have a Kuzma Stogi 313 Reference mounted on this TT with a Dynavector XV-1s.

Preamplifers: TW Acustic RPS & RLS 100.

SUT: Consolidated Audio Monster Can

Amplifiers: GM70 monos, designed and built by Matt Kamna.

Wire: Triode Wire Labs

Loudspeakers: Onken cabinets with GPA 416-8b woofers. MK 1505 horns with GPA 288 compression drivers. Custom 3D printed JMLC horns with TAD2001 compression drivers.

Custom series crossovers using Slagle speakerformers, Jantzen and Mundorf inductors, and Duelund copper cast capacitors.

Rack: DIY - A 350 lb slab of Oregon Black Walnut mounted to a massive workbench.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Thank you Lee. Here's the list:

Sources: I have two turntables for a total of 3 arms. Turntable No. 1 started out as a Verdier. I kept the platter and sub-platter assembly and bearing. I liked what J Weiss at OMA was doing with massive slate plinths and armboards. He made me a 120 lb slate plinth with a set of slate armboards. This turntable is around 165 lbs of caveman mass sitting on four Fabreeka pneumatic isolators. I retained the original Verdier motor. I like it. This turntable has two arms. The first is an Analog Magik re-built FR-66s. Mounted to it is a Koetsu Jade Platinum. The second tonearm is a Dynavector DV507II. Mounted to it is a Myajima Infinity Mono. Turntable No. 2 is a Foundation Turntable by Azzolina Audio. You can see in the picture that it pays homage to the granite plinth of the Verdier Granito. I have a Kuzma Stogi 313 Reference mounted on this TT with a Dynavector XV-1s.

Preamplifers: TW Acustic RPS & RLS 100.

SUT: Consolidated Audio Monster Can

Amplifiers: GM70 monos, designed and built by Matt Kamna.

Wire: Triode Wire Labs

Loudspeakers: Onken cabinets with GPA 416-8b woofers. MK 1505 horns with GPA 288 compression drivers. Custom 3D printed JMLC horns with TAD2001 compression drivers.

Custom series crossovers using Slagle speakerformers, Jantzen and Mundorf inductors, and Duelund copper cast capacitors.

Rack: DIY - A 350 lb slab of Oregon Black Walnut mounted to a massive workbench.
Thanks for the update that’s an impressive set up you have

n+1

Jan 4, 2023

More photos

In color… 44A5B74F-3E52-47F6-B57A-D68B6670C5F3.jpeg 05026908-B133-4D96-8851-D9BD6B704043.jpeg 6559BBFA-1850-4320-AFD3-7EA96798C304.jpeg E1D17268-CA3E-470B-8AF8-7ED8AB5C36DD.jpeg F5C158E2-BDD0-4D45-92F6-8D8EFFBBF470.jpeg D102987B-1527-4017-8F54-3DDABBBAE70C.jpeg 90AD8067-C6A3-492A-BE4F-02C322B19DEC.jpeg C5189941-B50F-4AE8-A953-90AFAF98DF42.jpeg EDC1AC6C-132F-462E-98D1-1A9E97BEF6BC.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi n+1, this forum has a lot of Altec videos playing classical, jazz, and rock. Feel free to contribute, most are recorded by just pointing an iphone and uploading to youtube. You also have some excellent amps, TW 300b and GM70, would love to hear compare videos on classical.

You will see this thread https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zero-distortion-altec-assault-redux-orchestra-and-rock.35975/

russtafarian

Jul 11, 2012
Hi David,

Nice to meet a fellow Klughoener owner.

Russ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing