Tidal or Competitor Without a Computer (like Spotify)

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Aurender A10 with Tidal full subscription.

You only need this:
aurender a10  s.jpg

Works great straight to Line-stage.

I have an Aurender for 7 years now. First the S10 and the last 4 years the W20.
I never had any problem. And the App is fantastic, with great Tidal and/or Qobuz integration!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, audioquattr! That seems like a simple solution!

Alex, does the Innuos Zenith have a DAC built in (like the Aurender) which I could use initially, and add an external DAC later if I wanted to?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
No, the only Innuos with a built-in DAC is the Zen mini mk3, which is mostly geared for entry-level systems. From the Zen upwards, they assume folks will be using with a dedicated DAC.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Alex.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How do I figure out if I want the MSB ProUSB module, the MSB ProISL module or the MSB Renderer module?

What are the pros and cons and the differences in sound quality between each solution?

Assuming I do not have an ethernet jack near the source components, which is the highest sound quality interface solution if I use an Innuos Zenith Mk. II server which is streaming Qobuz (no Roon) to an MSB DAC and the Qobuz is displayed on an iPad?

What is the highest sound quality interface solution to get Qobuz into the Innuos server?

What is highest sound quality interface solution to get the digital stream from the Innuos server into the MSB DAC?

Thank you!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
The ProISL is a proprietary interface in MSB dac’s for connecting CD transports.

The Pro USB module allows you to connect a remote server USB output to this ProISL interface over fibre cable.

The MSB renderer is a mini computer built into the DAC with an Ethernet interface.

The easiest to use all in one interface is Roon.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

We don’t want noisy, digital-carrying ethernet wire near phono stages, correct? So is that why we keep the server far away and we use the MSB Pro USB to take the digital signal out of the streamer’s USB port at the server end, and send the digital signal to the MSB Pro ISL at the MSB DAC end, and then we connect the Pro ISL to the MSB DAC?

This lets us use fiber optic cable from the Pro USB all the way to the DAC. Do I understand this correctly?

Or is the Pro ISL used only if one is using a physical media transport?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I would vote it's the opposite of what you say. It appears highly fragile, unable to be stable signal wise. It's distinctly for curtailing the sound in some way as far as I can tell. I'm not saying that's wrong, it might be exactly what someone is looking for in sound. But, as I sorta said already, I think introducing these extra variables creates a tail chasing scenario.

On the other hand the Innuos looks legit.

Please could you explain (provide some details) your statements above about the SGM Extreme?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I stream from my phone to my televisions which are connected to my hi-fi systems.

I use TIDAL to do it by sharing to BubbleUPnp.

Then just connect the television's optical out to your DAC.

Super cheap solution.

See attached pic. The price of BubbleUPnp for Android and you are done. Providing you can connect the TV to your DAC easily.

It's lossless and therefore cool.

Kedar thought it sounded OK when I played him some music that way. And so do I. But TBH I usually use a laptop in my main system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190313-210501.jpg
    Screenshot_20190313-210501.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I stream from my phone to my televisions which are connected to my hi-fi systems.

Super cheap solution.

See attached pic. The price of BubbleUPnp for Android and you are done. Providing you can connect the TV to your DAC easily.

Kedar thought it sounded OK when I played him some music that way. And so do I. But TBH I usually use a laptop in my main system.

Justin - have you tried a dedicated audiophile type server / streamer with your Lampi?

Best.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Super cheap solution.

Yes but the upgrade from a proper streamer and proper rips is huge

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yes but the upgrade from a proper streamer and proper rips is huge

Bill - no. But I have tried a few different interface methods and USB devices etc. Ked brought a USB one round that I thought was pretty dire.

Anyway it's just a cheap solution anyone can try.

Ked. Bring one round. I bet you £1k you cannot reliably tell me the difference at better than 7 out of 10 tracks blindfolded.

Make that £2K.

Up for it?

I am.

:)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bill - no. But I have tried a few different interface methods and USB devices etc. Ked brought a USB one round that I thought was pretty dire.

Ked. Bring one round. I bet you £1k you cannot reliably tell me the difference at better than 7 out of 10 tracks blindfolded.

Make that £2K.

Up for it?

I am.

Isn’t seven out of 10 statistically significant?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Make that £2K.

Up for it?

I am.

I can easily though in your system as long as long as you underdrive apogees it is tough to tell anything :p

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
BTW all. I don't spend much money on hi-fi.

Hey Ron its a "huge" difference so 8/10 should be easy.

And I'm simply looking to increase my financial wealth. I promise to put the money into Bitcoin and if it goes up I'll give Ked 10% of the profit as a good will gesture:D

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I can easily though in your system as long as long as you underdrive apogees it is tough to tell anything :p

I put the Accuphase's in thermal shutdown after 3-4 hours of hard driving the other day. Really.

Better than the Ayon managed, though. Next time get me a valve amp that is up to the job. 400 Watts is just pussy.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I put the Accuphase's in thermal shutdown after 3-4 hours of hard driving the other day. Really.

Better than the Ayon managed, though. Next time get me a valve amp that is up to the job. 400 Watts is just pussy.

I bought the Ayon to try. It didn't work. It sounded better than both your amps which don't work either. I would have bought more and sent you to try but now I prefer modded vintage tannoys to apogee duettas (though not to Christoph's scintillas, Henk's FR, and his grands (Which I like after Mike's, generals, and Pietro's systems)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I bought the Ayon to try. It didn't work. It sounded better than both your amps which don't work either. I would have bought more and sent you to try but now I prefer modded vintage tannoys to apogee duettas (though not to Christoph's scintillas, Henk's FR, and his grands (Which I like after Mike's, generals, and Pietro's systems)

Well you can thank me for introducing you to Tom's Tannoys.

They are good, I'll give you that. I won't be changing to them, though. They just aren't as mind bogglingly entertaining. They don't put you in the listening chair thinking "WTF"?

I need that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well you can thank me for introducing you to Tom's Tannoys.

They are good, I'll give you that. I won't be changing to them, though. They just aren't as mind bogglingly entertaining. They don't put you in the listening chair thinking "WTF"?

I need that.

Tannoys, Lampi, apogees... Just trying to repay you by trying to set right your amps, Lampi, and music tastes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing