TIDAL - The hidden gems

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Acapella
These Bones -Fairfield Four

A simple song with one of the better bass voices you will hear.

Reactions: treitz3

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
One song I have used as a "reference" song to test the capabilities of the streaming aspect of the rig is a song by Marianas Trench called, "The Killing Kind". Song 10 off of the Phantoms album. It will let you know in a heartbeat if anything is amiss with your streaming system. It should have zero congestion, no digital glare and it doesn't play around either.

The beginning of the song is fairly simple but when the passages get heavy? That's when the nasties either appear or if you have nailed this aspect of your streaming rig, it's all gone. I have gotten to the point to where there is nothing but music, with regards to this song, on my rig. Repeatably, this is the end result of hearing it...I listen loud to this one and it's not available on Qobuz. Only Tidal.

1671332445740.png

Tom

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sara K.
All your love(turned into passion)
Water Falls

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Tom,
I realize now I have been approaching this the wrong way. I have been looking for music to post here. The correct method is to just pursue my normal listening habits. I'll know when something is worthy of posting hits my fancy.
I am sure most jazz fans are familiar with:
Sonny Rollins
The Bridge
It has been remastered and given Master treatment. If you are not a hardcore jazz fan, it might be a bit much for you.

Reactions: treitz3

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The spirit of this thread is not for folks to waste their time looking for the greatest. What the spirit is? When you DO run across something that sounds incredible and is a "Hidden Gem" off Tidal.

I thoroughly enjoyed that song. This, in turn will lead me (and possibly others) to explore what else is out there that may or may not be "the norm" of what they listen too. The discussion(s) of what you hear, perhaps a little bit of history is always welcome. In fact, not only is it welcome? It is preferred!

I am actually listening to the very next song on that album and I am in sonic bliss. I would have not discovered such a good recording/musical selection, had this conversation not happened.

Quality over quantity.

This is an aspect many forums do not get when people post what it is they are listening too. Threads like that bore me and after some time, I stop following because some of the music flat out......well, we are all adults here. It flat out sucks.

Your suggestion (at least on my system) has new to me to new music that I wouldn't have known about orherwise.....but am currently really enjoying!

Thank you!

I never expected this thread or even the sister thread to rhis one have many posts. In fact, if one wants quality over quantity? Well, there won't be many posts. I am fine with that. We all should be. It gives us time to listen and possibly discuss what we are experiencing when it comes to the playback, history of the recording or the artist.

In other words, share the "Top shelf" recordings that Tidal (at least in this thread) has to offer.

Now, off to enjoy the music....

Tom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
About 653,000 resultsAny time
  1. Williamsburg Bridge
    • According to 10 sources

Its name comes from one of Rollins’ peculiar practice habits during that time. As legend has it, the saxophonist would take his horn to the Williamsburg Bridge to play in solitude for up to 16 hours per day, serenading only himself and the wind. The experience had a profound impact on Rollins’ sound and style.

Sonny Rollins – “The Bridge

jazziz.com
    Sonny Rollins on the Williamsburg Bridge in the sixties. The Williamsburg Bridge is a fine name for a bridge, especially when one half of that bridge ends in Williamsburg. But not every Williamsburg Bridge has given a safe harbor to one of the greatest jazz musicians in history—and say one had?

The Paris Review - Sonny R

theparisreview.org
    Sonny Rollins plays his saxophone on the Williamsburg Bridge in New York. Photograph: New York Daily News Archive/NY Daily News/Getty Images It’s one of the most romantic stories in music: the jazz star rejecting fame to practise on a New York bridge for

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
Le Vent Nous Portera by Sophie Hunger.
The album is 1983

It starts off simple and she is just in the room with no electronic artifice. It builds but never gets congested, just loud.

One of my references and a great tune IMO

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I know, I know...

This is her best album. Performance and recording quality. It is rare that I listen to an entire album anymore.

Diana Krall
Turn up the Quiet.Link th (2).jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Reactions: amey01

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:
Reactions: bryans

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Can I be a 3rd fan? Truly great instrumentation supporting her every delivery. Every song. Try her Essentials II album, Shape of My Heart, really special. A huge fan.
Could not have said it better. Welcome to the club. Try her New Year's Day on Sunday

Reactions: Hobblecreek

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Police and Thieves 1280x1280 (1).jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Veteran audiophiles will rember this classic. RIP HP.
1280x1280 (3).jpg

Reactions: Audire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You can it here
This is a four volume se provided at the master level. It covers the gamut from hard core blues to crossover with various pop artist. My favorite is Boom Boom.
1280x1280 (4).jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing