TIDAL - The hidden gems

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Okay folks, I am going to try something off the beaten path. Something that hasn't been tried before and hopefully, something that will ensure a great discussion on the one thing that has alluded many a forum.

That being the actual "discussion" of the music!

What this thread is meant for is those rare gems (NOT just what you like to hear) that you discover on Tidal that are worthy of someone else reading this thread to listen too.

A great recording.

Genre's do NOT matter in this thread. If you run across something that is simply the crème de la crème of audiophilia?

Post it here.

Caveat - It MUST be available on Tidal.

Any history about the song or album, please share with us. Any history about the singers, players, special equipment or recording techniques, please share that with us.

This is NOT the, "What are you listening too" thread. This is a thread to where we actually share and discuss the music....the one thing that we all enjoy. Please be respectful and don't just post what you are listening too. If you want a post count? Move to one of the other threads.

This is a thread to find those hidden gems of music that we all can enjoy and talk about.

Tom

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Caveat - It MUST be available on Tidal.

Any history about the song or album, please share with us. Any history about the singers, players, special equipment or recording techniques, please share that with us.

This is a thread to where we actually share and discuss the music....
If the last sentence is valid, may I ask why it must be on Tidal? If it's a particular piece of music that others here may enjoy or appreciates, why not Qobuz or other streaming service, or CD or even vinyl?

If Qobuz is used, a click on the 3 dots will open a webpage (often Wikipedia) where the artist and / or the music are described. I can't remember if Tidal offers this too. Or AllMusic of course will give valuable information if it's popular music.

Reactions: XV-1

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
If the last sentence is valid, may I ask why it must be on Tidal? If it's a particular piece of music that others here may enjoy or appreciates, why not Qobuz or other streaming service, or CD or even vinyl?

If Qobuz is used, a click on the 3 dots will open a webpage (often Wikipedia) where the artist and / or the music are described. I can't remember if Tidal offers this too. Or AllMusic of course will give valuable information if it's popular music.
There is also a Quobuz dedicated thread. I think it's a good idea. It allows people to explore music on their platform of choice.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011

Hello and good morning to you sir. I understand where you are coming from. Just Google it or look it up.

That's not the spirit of this thread.

There are two main streaming subscriptions that offer high fidelity music. This one is dedicated to Tidal, the other (sister thread) is dedicated to Qobuz.

Looking up things is educational but what I have found throughout my audio journey is that a simple conversation and sharing of music between those trusted ears and great audio aficionados can REALLY open up one's knowledge and music base much beyond what "researching" can do.

This conversation is for those that truly appreciate the music.

Tom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For that matter Amazon Prime has some great music. Not that it is any of my business. The beauty of WBF is anyone can start a thread. It will flourish as long as it is of interest to the members.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Youn Sin Nah
Calypso Blues, Voyage
Seoul Korea

I don't know much about her.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Blues
BIG THINGS GOING DOWN
DAN PALANTSKY

Move Over Tin Pan Alley and Stevie Ray Vaughn

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello again and good evening to you, gentlemen.

@Gregadd - Your first selection, while a great recording? It wasn't my style of music but thank you. I have friends that would really dig that. With that said? "Big Things Going Down" by Dan Palantsky was off the HOOK awesome and right up my alley for some damned good tunes!!! I see what you mean about Tin Pan Allley and SRV "moving over", even with the best of recordings. That was simply sublime. Thank you sir!

@bryans - it took me a bit to find it (for some reason) but I did listen to the longest version I could find. Man, the texture in that man's voice! This version of "Brothers In Arms", along with the recording quality is almost, if not equal to the original.

THIS right here is why I made this thread.

Quality, not quantity. From what I have listened too so far? This is the essence of quality and are definitely, "Hidden Gems".

Thank you.

@Brucemck2 - I ran out of time to listen to your suggestions tonight. But trust that I will definitely give them their due.

Tom

Reactions: bryans

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hello Tom,
That selection was sent to me by Tidal in "My Daily Discovery." Believe me that group of recordings is not always a pleasure to listen through. It helps that I can listen quickly in both solid state and tube amplification.
Thank you

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Blues
BIG THINGS GOING DOWN
DAN PALANTSKY

Move Over Tin Pan Alley and Stevie Ray Vaughn
I’ve added quite a bit of his music to my playlists over the last 24 hours. Great recommendation!

Reactions: treitz3 and bryans

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
In case you did not know, I use Hi-fi plus.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think we all love Chriss Isaak. He has a great voice and is a great guitar player. IMO a classic fifties sound. Wicked Games is a favorite.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The wife and I listened to "Wicked Games" tonight, albeit hours ago.

Please forgive my ignorance.....what is "Hi-Fi plus"? Is it better/same/different/on par to Tidal/Qobuz?

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Ah, gotcha. Already there....

I thought it may have been a new streaming service that offered "Better". Thanks.

I am always on the look out for better....

Tom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Like most apps Tidal has different tiers. Hifi plus is substantially better.
Thanks, bryans for clearing that up.
Chris Isaac
Alas, his hit, She DId a Bad, Bad, Thing, was a video and not nearly as good as the you tube rendition.
Edit: There is a basic version present.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing