To switch or not to switch? Melco S-100 or Innuos Phoenix NET switch?

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Greetings @shakti and @Hyperion, Thank you both for sharing your initial insights. By chance, any more updates or realizations as your PhoenixNET settles in with additional hours?

I am very intrigued with this new device, as my digital front-end is currently: Innuos Zenith 3 + PhoenixUSB. I also have an UpTone eRegen w/ JS-2 dual-rail LPS (powering the eR & my modem) ahead of the Innuos kit, and the possibility of inserting a PhoenixNET into the mix has piqued my interest. In my case, I would initially cascade: ISP Modem > eRegen > PhoenixNET > Zenith 3 > PhoenixUSB > DAC. Albeit expensive, I believe this addition could put me in the 'Statement' territory, but before I go down that path, I was hoping to learn more feedback on this device from you and other contributors in the WBF community.

When convenient, can you elaborate on your description of the sonic uplift when the unit is inserted. I am (slowly ;)) learning that the quality of the ethernet signal entering just prior to the server/streamer is very important, and I am hoping this ancillary unit (if inserted) will help with sonic clarity, from top to bottom (high Hz down through the lows Hz). I believe the Taiko Extreme is beyond my reach, so I am trying to maximize the Innuos path, where reasonable/possible.

Thank you!

Re-Tread

Last edited:
Reactions: dbeau

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
As a listener, you are a critical part of your hi-fi chain. Your system selects the musical material, streams it over the network, converts it from a digital pattern to an analog waveform, converts that into soundwaves and YOU, the listener, convert that pattern of sound waves into music, with pitch, rhythm, spacial presence, beauty and meaning. The better job your system does of accurately generating those 2 sources of sound pressure waves, the better job your brain can do in interpreting those sound wave patterns into music.
Stereo is an illusion and sound engineers use that illusion to generate music in the head of the listener. The illusion is created from 2 sources: the interplay of the 2 sets of physical soundwaves from the loudspeakers and the actual content of the waves. Its important to understand the difference.
The loudspeakers‘ location is fixed and provides the ability to deliver differential signals to the ears and its that differential information that creates the spacial illusion. But there’s more. The content of the signal also contributes hugely, so while the physical location of the speakers can only take the illusion so far, information embedded in the signal itself can take it the rest of the way.
The physical loudspeaker signal‘s spacial abilities are limited by the installation. 2 loudspeakers, on there own can‘t generate sounds outside of the triangle LS-Listener-LS, but as soon as you add additional information embedded in the signal, you can create an illusion of a venue of any size, from small and intimate to infinitely large. But the key, THE KEY, is to recover all this embedded information and the problem with digital is that this information is the first thing to disappear in the presence of noise and jitter. The more you can reduce these unwanted artefacts of networks and data streams, the more spacial, 3 dimensional, detailed and ‘real’ the music becomes. Now the word ‘real’ is really loaded. Does it mean ’lifelike’ or ‘natural’ as in “it sounds like a real orchestra” or does it mean ’real’, in the sense that “it sounds like it actually exists”. If you take the former definition, then electronically generated music can never sound ‘real’ but if you use the 2nd definition then electronic music that has structure, body, musical attributes and physical presence can sound very real in the sense that its able to completely convince your brain to generate beautiful feelings and emotions.
All this preamble is important, because what the Innuos PhoenixNET does it to make music sound more believable and more real. It is able to reveal more of the music’s inner beauty, make it more convincing, more present and able to generate intense feelings and emotions. It can create music with immense energy and Intensity. Not an in-your-face intensity, although it can do that, but rather the feeling of being overwhelmed by feelings and emotions. A really, really well optimized system can provide a sensual intensity of a level normally associated with ‘thrill seeking’. With the right music, emotions are strong enough to evoke cries of delight, tears of joy, huge silly grins....you get the idea.
I recently added a PhoenixNET to the input of a Statement server. What you get are all the hi-fi attributes of bigger soundstage, deeper, more palpable bass (bass you can actually feel), greater intensity and density of timbral colours and harmonic complexity, richer acoustic detail, increased PR&T. The sound becomes more enveloping, more immersive. You now sit somewhere in the middle of your soundscape, surrounded by music The instruments become more 3 dimensional, and you‘re listening to instruments making music, as opposed to hearing music made by instruments. The latter is a really big deal in terms of creating absolutely believable and thrilling music.
In summary, The PhoenixNET does all the hi-fi things you’d expect from a dedicated high-end switch, but that isn’t its main attribute. Its most overriding characteristic and for me its most important attribute is in revealing more of the music‘s inner beauty, the musicians’ intent and skill and the composer’s message....giving it the ability to strongly modulate your feelings and emotions.....like an interface between the music’s soul and yours.
Since I added the PhoenixNET I always get a little ‘fizz’ of anticipation before each listening session. An increasingly large percentage of my listening is via remote streaming. The fact I can spend hours totally absorbed in Swiss Radio Classics, a 128kbps radio station, should convey its own message. Switching to hi-res streaming is always a shock.... a ‘holy cow’ moment but there’s really no sense of being shortchanged while listening to SRC. For me, a pristine network feed is more important than resolution when it comes to actually enjoying the music and that’s exactly what the PhoenixNET delivers.

Last edited:

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
As a listener, you are a critical part of your hi-fi chain. Your system selects the musical material, streams it over the network, converts it from a digital pattern to an analog waveform, converts that into soundwaves and YOU, the listener, convert that pattern of sound waves into music, with pitch, rhythm, spacial presence, beauty and meaning. The better job your system does of accurately generating those 2 sources of sound pressure waves, the better job your brain can do in interpreting those sound wave patterns into music.
Stereo is an illusion and sound engineers use that illusion to generate music in the head of the listener. The illusion is created from 2 sources: the interplay of the 2 sets of physical soundwaves from the loudspeakers and the actual content of the waves. Its important to understand the difference.
The loudspeakers‘ location is fixed and provides the ability to deliver differential signals to the ears and its that differential information that creates the spacial illusion. But there’s more. The content of the signal also contributes hugely, so while the physical location of the speakers can only take the illusion so far, information embedded in the signal itself can take it the rest of the way.
The physical loudspeaker signal‘s spacial abilities are limited by the installation. 2 loudspeakers, on there own can‘t generate sounds outside of the triangle LS-Listener-LS, but as soon as you add additional information embedded in the signal, you can create an illusion of a venue of any size, from small and intimate to infinitely large. But the key, THE KEY, is to recover all this embedded information and the problem with digital is that this information is the first thing to disappear in the presence of noise and jitter. The more you can reduce these unwanted artefacts of networks and data streams, the more spacial, 3 dimensional, detailed and ‘real’ the music becomes. Now the word ‘real’ is really loaded. Does it mean ’lifelike’ or ‘natural’ as in “it sounds like a real orchestra” or does it mean ’real’, in the sense that “it sounds like it actually exists”. If you take the former definition, then electronically generated music can never sound ‘real’ but if you use the 2nd definition then electronic music that has structure, body, musical attributes and physical presence can sound very real in the sense that its able to completely convince your brain to generate beautiful feelings and emotions.
All this preamble is important, because what the Innuos PhoenixNET does it to make music sound more believable and more real. It is able to reveal more of the music’s inner beauty, make it more convincing, more present and able to generate intense feelings and emotions. It can create music with immense energy and Intensity. Not an in-your-face intensity, although it can do that, but rather the feeling of being overwhelmed by feelings and emotions. A really, really well optimized system can provide a sensual intensity of a level normally associated with ‘thrill seeking’. With the right music, emotions are strong enough to evoke cries of delight, tears of joy, huge silly grins....you get the idea.
I recently added a PhoenixNET to the input of a Statement server. What you get are all the hi-fi attributes of bigger soundstage, deeper, more palpable bass (bass you can actually feel), greater intensity and density of timbral colours and harmonic complexity, richer acoustic detail, increased PR&T. The sound becomes more enveloping, more immersive. You now sit somewhere in the middle of your soundscape, surrounded by music The instruments become more 3 dimensional, and you‘re listening to instruments making music, as opposed to hearing music made by instruments. The latter is a really big deal in terms of creating absolutely believable and thrilling music.
In summary, The PhoenixNET does all the hi-fi things you’d expect from a dedicated high-end switch, but that isn’t its main attribute. Its most overriding characteristic and for me its most important attribute is in revealing more of the music‘s inner beauty, the musicians’ intent and skill and the composer’s message....giving it the ability to strongly modulate your feelings and emotions.....like an interface between the music’s soul and yours.
Since I added the PhoenixNET I always get a little ‘fizz’ of anticipation before each listening session. An increasingly large percentage of my listening is via remote streaming. The fact I can spend hours totally absorbed in Swiss Radio Classics, a 128kbps radio station, should convey its own message. Switching to hi-res streaming is always a shock.... a ‘holy cow’ moment but there’s really no sense of being shortchanged while listening to SRC. For me, a pristine network feed is more important than resolution when it comes to actually enjoying the music and that’s exactly what the PhoenixNET delivers.
Hi, how did your switch solution look before Phoenix Net? I remembered you had a AQVOX SE ( like me) with a DC-3, correct? I recognize what you say, similar to my experience with Etherregen+ DC-3+ Afterdark external clock and DC-2.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi, how did your switch solution look before Phoenix Net? I remembered you had a AQVOX SE ( like me) with a DC-3, correct? I recognize what you say, similar to my experience with Etherregen+ DC-3+ Afterdark external clock and DC-2.
Well there’s a can-o-beans you just opened!
At least one positive from all this lock-down and pandemic is that my system has taken some further steps forward. The thing is, anything good that you do by way of upgrade anywhere in your network, be it a new cable, vibration control, better power supplies or whatever brings a reward, and the better your system gets, the bigger the reward becomes. No laws of diminishing returns , certainly not at the level I‘ve been working at. The other observation I would make is that in data processing, the role of the network is to move data. In audio, the role of the network should be two-fold, to move data AND to refine the signal.....regenerating finer and finer versions along the way. We know several things based on the improvements I mentioned above. We know that every stage of the network has the ability to improve the signal, proven by the fact that SQ improves, often markedly. It also proves that the improvement at one stage is passed on throughout the network which therefore must be based on ‘better signal in, better signal out’, which means that any improvement you’d hear is made on top of the improved input, which means that each and every stage has the ability to improve the signal and strongly contribute to the resulting sound quality.
Following the above, you’ll realise that a network should ideally be arranged in ever improving steps. That way its all gains with no or minimised limiting steps. So what have I done?
My system is Modem —>3 Band Router—Wi-Fi—> Ethernet Bridge—>AQVox SE—>Statement server. As you also know I had the AQVox connected to a Sean Jacob’s DC3. Adding that power supply brought such a huge uptick in performance that I added DC3s to the rest of the network. With the very generous advice and help of Nenon I then discovered the virtues and benefits of Mundorf Silver/Gold DC cables. I know some may be sceptical that a DC cable matters, but the improvement these JSSG360-format cables brought is way beyond ‘matters’; its really quite fundamental and massively improves the 3 dimensionality and unlimited spacial abilities, where the system can project an ‘any size the recording contains” acoustic venue with all the spacial ambient listening clues in place and 3 dimensional instruments playing music. With many good recordings the music is completely immersive. I was extremely happy with the way the system was sounding....it had SOTA PR&T, and generated incredible listener involvement. So naturally I wondered what even better power supplies throughout the network could achieve. A couple of calls to Sean Jacobs who‘s based in one of the Yorkshire Dales about 100 or so miles away and an upgrade path for all 3 DC3s was defined. A new, somewhat beefier ‘Statement-class’ transformer was fitted, regulation was upgraded to DC4 units, the case was lined with DC4 damping materials, iec sockets upgraded, 3 DC4 footers fitted and the units rewired with Mundorf Silver/Gold cable.
Installed and fired up, by hour 2 it started to make beautiful music with a wonderful energy and vibrancy. The system took about 3 months to reach a completely stable level of performance and I have to say, it was pure magic.....hugely spacial, 3 dimensional, pure, accurate, incredibly transparent with massive PR&T, with a soundstage as big as whatever was on the recording....sometimes small, sometimes huge, sometimes infinite.
So that’s where my system was when I added a well run in PhoenixNET. I always thought I’d like the chance to review a piece of kit, so I was pretty happy to receive this pre-production unit. I used the standard power cord and patch cord to connect from the PhoenixNET to the Statement. Remember what I said before about a network ideally being based on a series of improvements. Well that patch-cord wasn’t.....an improvement. It was exactly the opposite and proved very, very limiting. Into my attic to fetch the only extra ethernet cable I possess, a piece made and supplied by AQVox. It sounded like it sounded when it was last in my system but at least it allowed me to let the PhoenixNET do its thing, which is what I reported.
I now have my own PhoenixNET hooked up with Synergistic Research power and ethernet cables.
Several other network upgrades include the addition of a Melco S100 with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO and a dual rail DC4 with Mundorf silver/gold for all DC wiring to switch and clock. I also got hold of another Finite Elemente Pagoda Master Reference rack and some Cerabase footers for the 3 power supplies and 2 switches. So now the whole lot is again running in. Already sounds amazing but its still about 2 months for all the Mundorf content and cabling to properly condition.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Have any of you tried plugging your power supplies into a AQ Niagara 3000 or similar. I find it to be a profound improvement when I plug my DAC and server into it. Both of which are built with some of the best power supplies made. Makes me think it could do the same for my digital backbone.

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Greetings @Blackmorec -

Thank you very much for your extensive replies (post #23 and #25). They have been very insightful, and even inspiring ;) , for my use-case consideration. Your picturesque sonic uplift description of the PhoenixNET was exactly what I was hoping someone could provide, and you stated it so metaphorically and succinctly, that I now feel like I now understand (and can cognitively invision) what the PhoenixNET will/could bring to the aural table. I already have some (from my limited experience) effective upstream ethernet treatment implemented (with the UpTone eRegen + JS-2 LPS) - which made a very positive impact on my current system - which I hope will positively potentiate the ethernet signal prior to reaching a new PhoenixNET, when inserted and cascaded. I have attached my system FLOW diagram for an easy visual.

FLOW - 2021-04-13.png
Diagram Note: the items depicted above in 'Black' are current state; and the items in 'Red' are proposed future state (i.e., the PhoenixNET.)

I suspect I will soon make the necessary initial steps on price/delivery inquiries for a PhoenixNET with my Innuos dealer. Based on what I am hearing now (w/o the PhoenixNET) and what I anticipate the PhoenixNET would/could do, it could be a homerun for my set-up. Fingers crossed. Until then, I hope to continue to learn additional feedback about the PhoenixNET from you and others on the community board(s).

Thanks, again!

Re-tread

Last edited:

Griff500

Apr 10, 2021
I realise that the PhoenixNET is new but has anyone also tried the Ansuz Powerswitch and perhaps compared? I believe that these are similar products, although perhaps the Innuos might have more features?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Please correct me if I am wrong :
1. The PhoenixNET is 100M but not 1G. Pls make sure the home network and streamet/server are compatible with it.
Preferred to have home trial before purchase.

2. PhoenixNET employs a proprietary switch circuit board, whereas the ones inside Ansuz are from a consumer switch brand.
Of course both Ansuz and Innuos have their own powersupply sections and the former also contains some special coil-based anti-noise devices.

Last edited:

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Please correct me if I am wrong :
1. The PhoenixNET is 100M but not 1G. Pls make sure the home network and streamet/server are compatible with it.
Preferred to have home trial before purchase.

2. PhoenixNET employs a proprietary switch circuit board, whereas the ones inside Ansuz are from a consumer switch brand.
Of course both Ansuz and Innuos have their own powersupply sections and the former also contains some special coil-based anti-noise devices.
Hi CK,
According to photos of the Ansuz internals I found on German website Hifistatement.net which has reviews of the Ansuz A2 (€3,200) and the D-TC Supreme (€12,000), the Ansuz onboard supply is a universal, switched mode, 85-305 Volt unit supplying 15V and 1.4A. The manufacturer’s labels are clear to read, Mean Well Enterprises IRM-20-15 from China costing £8.28 if you buy 1 and £7.05 if you buy >100.

The PhoenixNET uses a Sean Jacobs designed dual rail LPS, with one rail powering the clock and the other powering the switch circuit. The PS‘s regulators are placed adjacent to the clock and switch, giving a direct DC feed, without the need for any cabling.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Another interesting comparison would be between PhoenixNet and M12 Gold. M12 is currently number one in my personal hierarchy of switches, but maybe Innuos switch is at the same level or even better?

Griff500

Apr 10, 2021
Hi CK,
According to photos of the Ansuz internals I found on German website Hifistatement.net which has reviews of the Ansuz A2 (€3,200) and the D-TC Supreme (€12,000), the Ansuz onboard supply is a universal, switched mode, 85-305 Volt unit supplying 15V and 1.4A. The manufacturer’s labels are clear to read, Mean Well Enterprises IRM-20-15 from China costing £8.28 if you buy 1 and £7.05 if you buy >100.

The PhoenixNET uses a Sean Jacobs designed dual rail LPS, with one rail powering the clock and the other powering the switch circuit. The PS‘s regulators are placed adjacent to the clock and switch, giving a direct DC feed, without the need for any cabling.
The Sean Jacobs association does make Innuos sound more attractive, although it's designed by rather than made by and I've no idea if the onboard supply used in the Ansuz is good or bad. For the money charged it would be nice if it was all in-house stuff but I guess performance is the most important thing.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CK,

Hi Blackmorec,
Yes, this is the reason why I don't have any interest to test/listen to an Ansuz switch.
They design their powersupply section basing on switching-mode modules sourced from Meanwell.
This is not of my taste/acceptance.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
The Sean Jacobs association does make Innuos sound more attractive, although it's designed by rather than made by and I've no idea if the onboard supply used in the Ansuz is good or bad. For the money charged it would be nice if it was all in-house stuff but I guess performance is the most important thing.
Here’re the details for the Mean Well Enterprises SMPS

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Hi from Greece.

Two days ago I received the two devices Innuos Phoenix, USB & NET.

I first connected PhoenixNET to my digital system.

What I liked.

1. More sile in playback - black background.

2. Appearance of small orchestral sounds that were not heard before, or were rarely heard.

3. No more annoyance at high (many db) playback levels.

4. Better separation of instruments as a whole, and high frequencies became sharper without disturbing.

5. The sound is less compressed and flows more easily.

What he did not give me (yet):

1. More 3d image than I already had.

2. I did not notice much change in the low frequencies (Bass).

I have a feeling that PhoenixNET focuses mainly on noise suppression of streaming services, modem routers, and internet, and in this area it does very well. Now I understand how bad network noise can be in digital streaming.

What I would like to say is this: it is not a device that will raise the quality of performance, someone will not say wow once they connect it, but will help individual parts of the sound that are very important. He will see details he could not hear before. I think the high quality devices will be helped by the Innuos PheonixNET.

Of course I will wait for other days, so that I have a complete picture, as I have only heard it one day.

Let me emphasize again that my critique concerns only innuos PheonixNET. I connected this to my system which consists of:

1. roon / qobuz / Tidal / spotify,

2. Chord Hugo tt2 Dac,

3. Streamer Auralic Aries G 1 (end point),

4. Nuc i7 8th gen (core),

5. Modem - Netgear router,

6. VDSL 50 mbps

7. Melco Ethernet cable,

8. Usb A - Usb B for connection between streamer & dac, tellurium q black,

9. Integrated amplifier Mcintosh MA 7900,

10. Sonus Faber Olympica 2 floor stand speakers.

Attachments

• 20210416_130533.jpg
    20210416_130533.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210416_130612.jpg
    20210416_130612.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: fizzletop

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi from Greece.

Two days ago I received the two devices Innuos Phoenix, USB & NET.

I first connected PhoenixNET to my digital system.

What I liked.

1. More sile in playback - black background.

2. Appearance of small orchestral sounds that were not heard before, or were rarely heard.

3. No more annoyance at high (many db) playback levels.

4. Better separation of instruments as a whole, and high frequencies became sharper without disturbing.

5. The sound is less compressed and flows more easily.

What he did not give me (yet):

1. More 3d image than I already had.

2. I did not notice much change in the low frequencies (Bass).

I have a feeling that PhoenixNET focuses mainly on noise suppression of streaming services, modem routers, and internet, and in this area it does very well. Now I understand how bad network noise can be in digital streaming.

What I would like to say is this: it is not a device that will raise the quality of performance, someone will not say wow once they connect it, but will help individual parts of the sound that are very important. He will see details he could not hear before. I think the high quality devices will be helped by the Innuos PheonixNET.

Of course I will wait for other days, so that I have a complete picture, as I have only heard it one day.

Let me emphasize again that my critique concerns only innuos PheonixNET. I connected this to my system which consists of:

1. roon / qobuz / Tidal / spotify,

2. Chord Hugo tt2 Dac,

3. Streamer Auralic Aries G 1 (end point),

4. Nuc i7 8th gen (core),

5. Modem - Netgear router,

6. VDSL 50 mbps

7. Melco Ethernet cable,

8. Usb A - Usb B for connection between streamer & dac, tellurium q black,

9. Integrated amplifier Mcintosh MA 7900,

10. Sonus Faber Olympica 2 floor stand speakers.
Hi Varadero
Very nice additions to your system.

FYI, a well run-in PhoenixNET will really start to blossom by day 3 of being continuously connected to mains. Running in will be semi-complete after around 10 days, but then you’ll hear another large hike in sound quality after about 2 months....that’s how long those Mundorf capacitors take and they do make a substantial difference. So if you’re pleased now, just stick around.
I’m going out on a limb here, but I’d be willing to bet good money that you’ll change the following opinion, “What I would like to say is this: it is not a device that will raise the quality of performance, someone will not say wow once they connect it, but will help individual parts of the sound that are very important. He will see details he could not hear before. I think the high quality devices will be helped by the Innuos PheonixNET.”
For sure its not going to make the orchestra play better....but sound better? Absolutely!
I’ll bet you’ll experience at least 2 “wow” moments during running in. Not when you first connect it, but one day you’ll sit down to listen and after the first 20 seconds there it is; Wow!

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
I wouldn't have the faintest idea what any of that would mean.
Understood. Essentially the output of a switch is a highly modulated DC stream of precisely timed voltage transitions, representing the digital bits, so the quality of the DC seems to have a major influence on the stream’s resulting sound quality. Other switches, for example SoTM, Melco, AQVox or Buffalo benefit greatly when the separate, standard SMPS is substituted with a very good LPS.....the better the LPS, the greater the increase in SQ. In the case of the Ansuz, the SMPS is soldered to an internal circuit board, so no substitution is possible without voiding warranty and disabling standard support. Now its entirely possible that Ansuz’s extra coils, wires and other tricks make further modifications unnecessary.; I cant say because I haven’t heard one in any system. My original aim was to point out that Ansuz‘s power supply is very, very different vs. the PhoenixNET, so with your help, mission accomplished

Reactions: Griff500

Griff500

Apr 10, 2021
Understood. Essentially the output of a switch is a highly modulated DC stream of precisely timed voltage transitions, representing the digital bits, so the quality of the DC seems to have a major influence on the stream’s resulting sound quality. Other switches, for example SoTM, Melco, AQVox or Buffalo benefit greatly when the separate, standard SMPS is substituted with a very good LPS.....the better the LPS, the greater the increase in SQ. In the case of the Ansuz, the SMPS is soldered to an internal circuit board, so no substitution is possible without voiding warranty and disabling standard support. Now its entirely possible that Ansuz’s extra coils, wires and other tricks make further modifications unnecessary.; I cant say because I haven’t heard one in any system. My original aim was to point out that Ansuz‘s power supply is very, very different vs. the PhoenixNET, so with your help, mission accomplished
Thanks for that. I believe that quality power is of significant importance for sound quality and it would make me lean toward the Innuos product.

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
Hello guys,
i have not posted since a long time. Glad to be back.
i finally decided to order the Innuos PhoenixNet, waiting now for the delivery.
i have a Naim Nds/555 dr, Melco N1zh2 used as a Nas. i went from direct to router, 4 years ago, to dedicated Netgear gs105 switch, then added a linear ps ( Uptone JS2). Then 2 optical cheap converters powered by linear ps, then a Cisco 2960 switch which replaced all these little boxes.
each step was an improvement.
finally, 10 months ago, I replaced the Cisco with the Etheregen and MCRU option 3 linear ps for the Etheregen. It was a real and big improvement.
i have an Entreq power cord on the linear ps.

i am amazed at how the network optimisation plays a great role in the sound quality of the streamer.
hope the Phoenixnet will still enhances the sound. If not I can hopefully return it without loosing money.
i don’t want to cascade the switches, just have one box and not many little boxes and running cables. The Phoenix seems to be probably the best for me, from all the different feedbacks I could have read.
the Anzus have SMPS , which disappoints me. The Melco seems to be a little soft and uninvolving for my kind of music ( Naim forum).

Etheregen , MCRU option 3 ( pinnacle version). 3 X audioquest Diamond 0,75m ethernet cables.
the MCRU has SR Orange fuse, Furutech plug, Oyaide silver dc cable, and Entreq power cord.
78DE8FD8-0323-44C2-9D6D-8897DBCF74E0.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing