Todd's AG Trio G3 System -- it's about time

From a practical side the Mezzo bass cabinet has a larger footprint than the DuoGT. So, if you are concerned with space then the DuoGT will be a little easier to fit.
Thanks for that. In my room, although very large, I want as narrow a speaker as possible, as they are placed mid-room with floor-to-ceiling windows beyond, that offer fantastic views from my 19th floor flat overlooking the harbour and city.

For that reason I ditched the Duo XD "scaffolding" and replaced this with a top-mounted cradle on the lines of the Mezzo one, but with revised measurements provided by Avantgarde. This allowed the base frame to be rotated 90 degrees (as per SUB231) to further slim them down visually. With my earlier Duos, a back-mounted F-shaped bracket was made to support the 2 horn tubes. Both work well, with improved vibration control and the appearance of being considerably narrower. The Mezzos are losing their appeal!

Photos of Duo XD as supplied and as modified, and earlier Duos with F-bracket to support horn tubes

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

I’ll take your word on this, as you have far more experience/ expertise with precision speaker set up. But, as a former owner of the Mezzo’s, I can’t imagine that simply replacing the light weight horn would move the speaker. Maybe the driver housing could move a micron if not done with great care?I found that with two people, the big horn screws on/off very smoothly.

From my experience , I would definitely check out and compare the gloss with the Matt finish horn as I think the abs definitely has a sound coloration.
When you had the Mezzo, did you touch the upper horn with your hand during the playback to see if there was any vibration?

IMO, apart from the glossy or matte horn coatings, the type of horn frame construction is very important to minimize the coloration of the horn material itself. the weak and loose frame structure of the previous generations of AGs (especially trios) had a lot of resonance and transferred it to the plastic horns, which made the Avantgarde tend to sound a bit bright or with a bit of plastic coloration especially for those who are so sensitive to plastic coloration like you. It should be mentioned that to minimize these issues in the previous gen of AG, Jim Smith used the tweaks of Symposium platforms and sandbags.

But in the new generation of AG, these issues seem to have been solved, and with much more weight of the speaker (trio g2=53kg , trio g3=145kg) and a much better frame structure, much less vibrations are transmitted to the horns. this Japanese review of trio g3 also pointed out this point..

"The horn with an aperture angle of 180 degrees is made of ABS, but you won't feel any unnecessary resonance or resonance vibrations even if you touch it with your hands during playback."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing