Transparent Audio: Gen 6 Announcement

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco,
You are probably correct. However my use of the word "mainly" comes from some some informed users; Dave Wilson, Bruce Brisson, Keith Johnson and Paul McGowan among others. So I'm comfortable with my descriptive terminology yet acknowledge it is hardly fully accurate. Again, it matters little. "Electrical properties" covers a lot of descriptive ground and seems perfectly acceptable. I couldn't care if networked cables were filled with Snicker bars and fully explained string theory. Let those who like them use them. Cables are one of dozens of sonic preferences we all make when we voice our systems. Discussion of their respective technologies and pricing is moot.

I still think this thread is something i'd find if I took a time machine back 20 years and opened TAS or Stereophile.
Marty

Surely I agree on your main idea, but I would like to refer that as far as I can remember the informed users did not say that the networks are "mainly impedance matching devices" - but for example they said that the networks can be adapted to the impedance of the amplifier and speaker. MIT has been particularly careful to say, for example that variable impedance switch can tune the cable to maximize performance for each component’s specific impedance”.

BTW, impedance matching devices are technical words referring to some specif circuits and functions - IMHO figurative use can be misleading. And sorry I think fair and serious discussion of cable technologies and pricing is a valid subject in WBF - we had plenty of interesting discussion about them in other threads. Surely MHO, YMMV.

Reactions: ack

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
IMO adjustable impedance matching is critical for networked cables, and they should vary by cable length like MIT and Transparent. But that’s the requirement that comes by sheer virtue of the rest of the network and the wires’ electrical properties combined.

ski nut

Oct 19, 2020
I write with interest on this thread on cables; having started with monster then music hose (no networks) on to TA until I had a disagreement with Karen. I thought the Ref XL (valve or SS) was better than the first offering of Opus. My cables were a part of the usual reference products of AR, CJ, Levinson, CAT, Wilson, Vandersteen, Genesis.... I then went into the wild working directly with bespoke electronics, handmade speakers, modified everything and so many different cables I cannot remember them all. The quest for sonic nirvana over 5 decades has lead me to two conclusions. 1. the Audio system is exactly that; a system - meaning every part counts to create the whole and can one find synergy in the system. 2. Does the system create musical satisfaction/euphoria AND can you afford it. The rest to me is irrelevant. Since I am the ski nut I will borrow from Doug Coombs who said the "best" skiers on the mountain are the one's having the most fun regardless of expertise. If you enjoy your system and have the emotional engagement that music brings then it is the "best" for you and the rest is irrelevant.

ski nut

Oct 19, 2020
I forgot to add on the previous thread; I have returned from the wild and the following is my current system with the exception of Wilson Alexx V's showing up next week.

Table: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0, Tri Planar U-12, MB LPS.
Phono amp: VLT TP 6.5 Series II
Line Stage: VTL TL 7.5 III.
Amps: VTL Siegfried II.
Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Interconnnects & Speaker.
Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexia 2.
Power: Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolator (front end).
Rack: GPA Silverstone F1 (x4).
Platforms: GPA under all components and speaker cable network.

Reactions: Bobvin and jfrech

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I forgot to add on the previous thread; I have returned from the wild and the following is my current system with the exception of Wilson Alexx V's showing up next week.

Table: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0, Tri Planar U-12, MB LPS.
Phono amp: VLT TP 6.5 Series II
Line Stage: VTL TL 7.5 III.
Amps: VTL Siegfried II.
Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Interconnnects & Speaker.
Speakers: Wilson Audio Alexia 2.
Power: Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolator (front end).
Rack: GPA Silverstone F1 (x4).
Platforms: GPA under all components and speaker cable network.
Beautiful system! Curious - I have managed to speak with Jfrech about his experience going from Opus to Magnum Opus. Did you ever compare the two lines? Any listening notes or impressions?

ski nut

Oct 19, 2020
Copied from a thread on transparent Jan 5 of this year.

I though I would add to the link regarding Transparent cables. I will qualify myself as a believer in cables and the overall sonic palette. In the 80's I had big ARC mono blocks and bi wired MIT shotgun to a Vandersteen 2c - crazy, but the sonics were spectacular. I transitioned with equipment to Reference XL years ago. When Transparent went to the first introduction of Opus ; I did not think they were significantly better than the Reference XL and I left Transparent on a quest for something better. My equipment got more exotic with one off hand built stuff and a variety of different cables. When Gen 5 arrived I thought it may be time for a re-visit to Transparent.

I started with Reference XL speaker cable; then phono, then the long lead from the preamp to amps on the other side of the room. Each step provided an upgrade to the sound (all the usual - transparency; sound stage; dynamics etc. - just more live). However, when the entire run from the source to the speaker was all Reference XL the synergy was significant. I replicated this exercise with Opus - same sequence same result - better. I then went to all Opus power cords and an Opus Power isolator on the front end. I was not prepared for the the startling improvement. Dumbfounded. So much better, the kind of 2+2 = 5 experience.

I then went to Magnum Opus same sequence same result - better. The lesson for me with Transparent is a all in proposition. One may gain improvements selectively with speaker cables and some interconnects, but the real punch comes when the total system is integrated. Therefore, it becomes a value question at what level of Transparent is one willing to spend and experience. I would take an all Gen 5 Reference XL system over selected Opus pieces. You get the idea.

Reactions: Mdp632

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
One may gain improvements selectively with speaker cables and some interconnects, but the real punch comes when the total system is integrated. Therefore, it becomes a value question at what level of Transparent is one willing to spend and experience. I would take an all Gen 5 Reference XL system over selected Opus pieces. You get the idea.

Oh I agree with you. Regardless of the brand one chooses, best to use the same brand and class of cable for synergy.

However, given the subjectivity of the hobby, I'm willing to bet this approach is in the minority.

Many users would rather chase the impossible dream by mixing and matching cable brands with different technologies.

The irony, is that the best systems I've personally heard have all used a loom (interconnects and speaker cables) of the same brand and level.

Last edited:

ski nut

Oct 19, 2020
Would agree. I would provide two corollaries to my two conclusions listed above. 1. On synergy - I look at reviews as everyone does, however I find " best in sound" at shows helpful. More importantly is determining or talking to the designers to find out what they have in their reference/home systems ( i.e for Luke and Bea at VTL what speakers and cable do they use..etc.). 2. On musical satisfaction and affordability - every piece of gear whether from a dealer, direct from the manufacture, or designer is predicated on listening to the piece in my home system before the final sale. Reference rooms and other peoples home systems are good for exposure, however your particular room (size, content, etc.) is part of the sonic palette as well. If it's "better" it stays.

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Say what you want about the prices, but one advantage I found with Transparent Cables is that the longer lengths don't cost too much money over the shorter lengths. This increased the freedom of equipment placements. Try that with silver cables...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Say what you want about the prices, but one advantage I found with Transparent Cables is that the longer lengths don't cost too much money over the shorter lengths. This increased the freedom of equipment placements. Try that with silver cables...
Interesting...Franc Kuzma (Kuzma Turntables) once told me the same thing.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Received these, but my MBL speakers require biwire so I may have to wait to try these momma's out!

Attachments

• TransparentXL1.jpg
    TransparentXL1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Received these, but my MBL speakers require biwire so I may have to wait to try these momma's out!
Hi, You can custom order these in a biwire configuration, I suspect they can retrofit a biwire option. I am sure they will sound spectacular.

Reactions: gfroman

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, You can custom order these in a biwire configuration, I suspect they can retrofit a biwire option. I am sure they will sound spectacular.
Hey Jfrech,

Are you planning on auditioning the Gen 6? (Note: I did not say 'purchase' Gen 6...that is my NEXT question!)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
And don't forget MBL want you to use 2 cables per side, not internally bi-wired in one cable ! ;)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hey Jfrech,

Are you planning on auditioning the Gen 6? (Note: I did not say 'purchase' Gen 6...that is my NEXT question!)
Yes. But I’ve already bought the upgrade on my digital to pre xlr interconnect. I’ll get to hear gen 5 vs gen 6 (magnum opus) with that being the only system change.
I’m pretty confident that it’s going to be a nice step up given my previous Transparent experience on version or level upgrades. It’s might be a few weeks before I get a upgrade slot however. Stay tuned

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes. But I’ve already bought the upgrade on my digital to pre xlr interconnect. I’ll get to hear gen 5 vs gen 6 (magnum opus) with that being the only system change.
I’m pretty confident that it’s going to be a nice step up given my previous Transparent experience on version or level upgrades. It’s might be a few weeks before I get a upgrade slot however. Stay tuned
Fantastic!

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
Transparent audio doesn’t know if he can develop an" 50 ohm audio interconnects cable" for Dartzeel gear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing