Tres Amigos Meet Again-A Brief But Wonderful Interlude In New Jersey

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Steve,

great report. I'm sure Marty's place and system is awesome. love the pictures. the Tres Amigos ride again!

as far as Rhodium GTX verses Gold GTX I do have an opinion. I noticed Marty uses a generic plastic outlet cover and likely no robust frame. not sure what you use. however; the Furutech outlet and frame do make quite a difference in how the outlet sounds. without those optimal frames and covers you are hearing the sound of generic covers and generic box added to the GTX outlet. that is significant.

the more neutral Rhodium outlet will expose more of the character of the generic cover and lack of robust frame than the warmer sounding gold. whether that would be enough to change the net result is a question; or maybe even a system to system variable.

and no doubt the NCF upgraded GTX outlets (Rhodium only so far) are a whole different ballgame.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah always great to hear of fine systems-especially for us not so fortunate in remote area of the World!:)

Hope you don't mind Steve --thought to show little more of the Goldmund--my good friend Richard Krebs-he of the famed SP10 Mods--this was his first TT

I'd heard his workings on it from the beginning and it was indeed Wonderous

Thank you for the entertaining Thread:D

BruceD

IMG_4602RET.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The funny thing is, when I tell people about this room they naturally assume that if it sounds so good it will be a Goldmund Reference. And I tell them no, it is a Goldmund studio, used price 2k with the arm, and an ASR. And they look at me as if I am mad, how can such cheap components make a system sound good. But *that* is the art.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The funny thing is, when I tell people about this room they naturally assume that if it sounds so good it will be a Goldmund Reference. And I tell them no, it is a Goldmund studio, used price 2k with the arm, and an ASR. And they look at me as if I am mad, how can such cheap components make a system sound good. But *that* is the art.

Ked

His turntable rig was superb and yes under $2500 used although Marty has had it I bet for over 20!years. Did you all see the photo of his motor

Steve Williams

Steve,

great report. I'm sure Marty's place and system is awesome. love the pictures. the Tres Amigos ride again!

as far as Rhodium GTX verses Gold GTX I do have an opinion. I noticed Marty uses a generic plastic outlet cover and likely no robust frame. not sure what you use. however; the Furutech outlet and frame do make quite a difference in how the outlet sounds. without those optimal frames and covers you are hearing the sound of generic covers and generic box added to the GTX outlet. that is significant.

the more neutral Rhodium outlet will expose more of the character of the generic cover and lack of robust frame than the warmer sounding gold. whether that would be enough to change the net result is a question; or maybe even a system to system variable.

and no doubt the NCF upgraded GTX outlets (Rhodium only so far) are a whole different ballgame.

Interesting thought Mike. My question is that the same plate was used for both Rhodium and gold so I don't know how to answer

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Interesting thought Mike. My question is that the same plate was used for both Rhodium and gold so I don't know how to answer

the more neutral Rhodium GTX will reveal more of the 'distortion resonance' of the generic cover and frame.

I can tell you that those Furutech frames and covers make significant differences.

but I would stop short of knowing whether that difference would make up the whole preference difference. I would guess that answer is system dependent.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What a wonderful read Steve, and I applaud your admiration of your friends' systems

PS: Milos is also one of my NYC restaurants

Last edited:

Steve Williams

My it is tough getting old as I neglected to post the album that cinched it for me as this ranked for my number one aural experience and I heard it the second night of listening

This record and this version played in Marty's room, with his system as I heard it, was truly an unforgettable experience. Marty and I both play at realistic levels and with an orchestra and choir as I heard it,was truly a being there dead center orchestra experience. You nailed it for me with this one Marty

IMG_4616.jpg

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Hi Steve
Any pics of Marty's listening room and speakers?
Cheers, T

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, seems like you liked the cartridge that Marty and I both use...the Benz Ruby 2. This cartridge is really special...although I am wondering how it compares to some of the current 'uber' cartridges. I suspect that the bottom end is actually a little less resolving than those cartridges:confused::D. However, the balance that the Benz brings to the system is pretty good.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Thanks for the many kind comments Steve. I was occupied all day since your post so if I may respond, in no particular order, to some very wonderful and thoughtful comments,

Steve and Ked. Puhleeze. You both know no system is perfect and mine is far from it. The deviations from "perfect" can take up too much of my thinking on occasion but then again, that's what the hobby is all about. Yes, I can think of a few things that can be improved. Taming the vertical comb filter effect has been an effort whereby I think I have more to do. Its a limitation of the speaker's line source approach using the 4 wide-band midrange drivers. The line source design also has tremendous advantages, but that comb filter thing can be better engineered. I also have to remember the speaker is nearly 10 years old and component technology has changed, particularly in capacitors. Do I want to change out my caps to Dueland or Mundorfs?? Will that matter? Perhaps so, but I’m not crazy about taking this project on.

Steve, what you are seeing is not the turntable motor. That is in the table itself. What you see is an industrial B&K low noise, low ripple power supply. I threw away the Goldmund piece of crap that was basically a simple diode half wave rectifier years ago. The B&K PS is an important key to excellent image stability. (BTW, I was delighted to visit David K and see that he too, uses mostly industrial power supplies for his gear. I honestly don't know why more audiophiles don't do this. They are inexpensive and often far better than what comes with "hi end" gear. )

Steve, post #11. Holy crap. I have got to clean my damn volume control. I’m embarrassed but in my defense, I rarely see it in bright light! Thanks a lot for making me vomit at my own system…….

Microstrip. I used the auto tuning feature of the Gotham v2. In fact, you only have two choices, turn it off, or use it according to their calibration. I believe their engineering is very effective. I’m generally very sensitive to low frequency performance that isn’t relatively linear and smooth. Sometimes, horrible notches or augmentation results. This occurred even though I had precise control with my previous TacT unit. With the v2, the bottom is refreshingly linear, suggesting their 18 point dsp EQ system works quite well.

Mike L. You know I love you buddy but we will have to respectfully agree to disagree on the rhodium vs gold issue. However, I want to be clear about any implications regarding my preference as it applies to other systems. Remember, Steve did not do the actual experiment of flipping between R and G outlets in my system. Rather, he did a change on one set of outlets in his system (and his considering changing more). In my own system, my preference remains for G based on many switching experiments repeated for weeks and which are easily accomplished. But as we all know, what may work well in any system may be largely due to the associated gear that is used and the sonic signature that is sought. I have no doubt some folks may prefer one over the other. In the scheme of things high end, making changes like these are relatively cheap. It will be easy for anyone who wishes, to do the experiment in their own system. The other comment I would make is that the plastic covers are intentional. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to use metal over non-conductive material but perhaps that’s just me. One might argue that if the entire casing were a Faraday cage, that could be of benefit. But other than that, I just don’t get the attraction to metal covers.

Steve, that is NOT the Camina Burana I played (That may be what Shazam turned up in error). Rather it was this one with Eugen Jochem conducting the Berlin Opera Orchestra and Chorus.

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 12.31.07 AM.jpg

You cannot hear this and fail to grasp why many considered Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau one of the greatest baritones whoever lived. The recording quality, the imaging and the dynamic range are indeed truly spectacular.

Davey F. Totally agree about the Benz Ruby II. To be honest, I’ve had an LPS sitting on my shelf for about 6 months because I’m afraid of losing the sound I have with the Ruby II. I think all audiophiles have had the experience of getting their system to the sweet spot, only to lose it with some small change that for the life of you, you can’t get back, sometimes for a long time; and sometimes, never! That’s what I am up against at the moment. But suspect I will take the plunge shortly.

Marty

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Marty, I'm with you regarding changing cartridges. However, I'm fairly sure that today there are cartridges that are far more resolving in the bass... I think??:confused:The new LPS ( is it the MR version?) may not be one of them...? Purely due to the age of its design.( although I suspect it should be more resolving in the top end). I'm in the process of looking for a replacement cartridge.. And like I said,like you, I'm a tad concerned that the next one will be as great as the Ruby2!
Have you listened to any of the current Lyra's?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty, I'm with you regarding changing cartridges. However, I'm fairly sure that today there are cartridges that are far more resolving in the bass... I think??:confused:The new LPS ( is it the MR version?) may not be one of them...? Purely due to the age of its design.( although I suspect it should be more resolving in the top end). I'm in the process of looking for a replacement cartridge.. And like I said,like you, I'm a tad concerned that the next one will be as great as the Ruby2!
Have you listened to any of the current Lyra's?

Davey, the Lyra's are just not my cup of tea. The Benz is, above all , a musical cartridge. Its gets the music right for so much of the range, that I have no desire to listen to more sterile cartridges. The other cartridges that I could probably get into are the Ortofon Anna (just to die for in Lavigne's system), the Ortofon A95 (perhaps the Barolo to the Anna's Barbaresco?), and perhaps the Universe ZYX. I'm sure there are others, but I'm just not motivated to keep searching. I've been a Benz fan for so long I'm going to get off my butt, try the LPS and see where that takes me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I liked the A90, A95 and Anna whenever I heard them, but Steve's Zyx Universe Premium was easily better than his Anna imo, though at much higher cost.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, the Lyra's are just not my cup of tea. The Benz is, above all , a musical cartridge. Its gets the music right for so much of the range, that I have no desire to listen to more sterile cartridges. The other cartridges that I could probably get into are the Ortofon Anna (just to die for in Lavigne's system), the Ortofon A95 (perhaps the Barolo to the Anna's Barbaresco?), and perhaps the Universe ZYX. I'm sure there are others, but I'm just not motivated to keep searching. I've been a Benz fan for so long I'm going to get off my butt, try the LPS and see where that takes me.
Interesting Marty...
Right now my system has been described as incredibly musical by a couple of a'philes who I trust... But, I know that the Lyra's are far more resolving in the bass...( at least the Etna and Kleos were that I have heard).. Are they as musical....that's the 64k question.
Have you heard one of the Lyra's in your system? I have heard them, but not in my system. Remember, to most people the Benz's are considered very warm...and to some, lacking in resolution! I think this is possible in the bottom end, at least it would seem to be the case compared to the Lyra's I have heard. However, I question if our systems are synergistic to a warmer front end??? Maybe our ears are also, lol:confused:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Microstrip. I used the auto tuning feature of the Gotham v2. In fact, you only have two choices, turn it off, or use it according to their calibration. I believe their engineering is very effective. I’m generally very sensitive to low frequency performance that isn’t relatively linear and smooth. Sometimes, horrible notches or augmentation results. This occurred even though I had precise control with my previous TacT unit. With the v2, the bottom is refreshingly linear, suggesting their 18 point dsp EQ system works quite well.

It is really impressive that an automated system can result is such good results. The CR-1 attracted my attention since I read the TAS review. It looked like the crossover to own, the confirmation of your system is great. Are you using the same frequency for high and low pass?

(...) Steve, that is NOT the Camina Burana I played (That may be what Shazam turned up in error). Rather it was this one with Eugen Jochem conducting the Berlin Opera Orchestra and Chorus.

I feel really better now. When I saw the picture of the DG Levine version, my first thought was to post a suggestion to try listening to Jochum next time ...
I have both the LP and the CD of this version. During a long period, I considered the CD almost unlistenable. However as my digital system improved I started appreciating the CD and curiously the last time I listened to it was also to the CD ...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Great stuff, Steve Williams. Glad you had fun with your friends. Also glad we all get to see some fine audio gear in the bargain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing