TT upgrade, about time...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo,

What's this TT? is Schopper 124 the brand/model of the TT? Not too sure whether this is available in Aus mate...
RJ

You will have to get it from UK / EU.

Schopper is a third generation restorer of thorens so this is a restored TD 124

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think the best you can get for your budget is a schopper restored 124 used with fr64s arm. You can get the combo for 5k GBP used, with special power supply. I found this better than two Garrards, 401 and 301 (the latter being the top UK restore from audio grail, my friend who owns it likes it better too and preferred it to his Shindo Garrard, Brinkmann Lagrange, and SME 30/2. With the brinkmann he had a Da Vinci grandezza arm

I am sure this is fantastic sound quality/value per dollar. But is this a tweaky or a DIY-ish sort of thing to evaluate, buy and maintain? (I ask only because I have a feeling that Big Dog wants a straightforward, no fuss/no muss, turnkey solution.)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No it's straight forward, also good resale at that price at least in EU

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Try looking at avid as well. Well engineered, great sounding and excellent customer support if required

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, that's correct Ron, a TT with the least amount of set up, and adjustments, and something that will play decent for a long time until a new cart is required... Which leaves me to a wonderful surprise, the RP8!

I spent the whole day going around yesterday, evaluating TTs based on my proposed list. I have not omitted the Music Hall & the Mac. I then inquired about the Linn and came across something I was expecting but not quite the pricing structure. So it happens to be just the deck in its own, either the Majik or the Sondek LP12, now I forgot what the name was, and then the top of the line Klimax to full spec. Anyway, either of these comes without the arm & no cart. Add these items on and it goes up to nearly 15 grand. Now that is something I don't want to engage in just at this stage but I realized for that added refinement in quietness and performance, this is probably the price range.

Then I managed to get hold of the RP8 on loan for the night, and hooked it up, they were also kind enough to change over the BM cart. Very very nice and mighty fine! Now it's 3:46am and I've been listening since 9pm last night! I have to return this in the morning and then I'll make a decision later. It's not the new Planar 8, which is even better in terms of further minute improvements but the RP8 suited just fine, and most of all the price is outstanding value!

I will retain my good mate's, Kostas, Linn Sondek LP12 as a reference point, simply because we're both using the same speakers, CLX's! With such full range stats, every minute level of detail is reproduced flawlessly, therefore it's very easy for me to evaluate these TTs, unlike before.

The place I inquired about the Linn and further investigated don't have CLX's on demo, rather it was the ML Ren15A's, which are similarly priced to the CLX's now in Aus. So for serious comparison just to get a better idea, I sincerely feel that Kostas Linn setup is the reference point for me at this stage.

I now see two options:
1. Go for either the RP8 or planar 8, and be happy!
2. Go for the Linn but I would need to wait a while until I've settled house building matters, which won't finish until end of this year. And then be happy!
3. Bonus option: not upgrade at all, just retain the RP3 and make the wifey very very happy
Oh well, I'll give it some thought...

Bonzo: I appreciate your suggestions but I'm not too keen on importing from overseas, especially when it comes to items like these, unless there was someone locally based to represent the brand of TT.

Kostas: it's certainly great to see you're back! Much appreciated and always learning from the guru of CLX's and TTs!

Cheers for now, I'll report back if I can get hold of the planar 8 for a spin. Also need to listen more closely to the entry level Linn majik, which I actually quite enjoyed!

Big woof! RJ

Reactions: DaveyF

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
RJ,

I have a very experienced a'phile friend who agrees with me that the new Rega Planar 8 is a superb table...and not just for the money! He currently owns a Planar 6 and was using a RP3. The new Planar 8 would be worth getting over the older model, IMO.
We both agree that the new model can compete with tables that are far more expensive...and is very easy to live with.( Plus the arm it comes with is very good..and here in the states it can be bundled with their MC cartridge for not a lot more money, making for an even better deal!)

As to your thoughts on the Linn, I think you are spot on. The new Magik is an excellent choice, and will allow you to enter the Linn hierarchy.
When funds allow, upgrading it is no issue.

Reactions: mulveling

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Davey mate,

If you were to choose, I know this is probably a hard question but may seem biased towards a current Linn owner; between the Linn Majik and the Planar 8, what would you end up with?

I'm trying to get some direction here in terms of sound and price wise, of course the Rega beats all. I also checked out the Avid range recommended by Nemal, but they're way over my budget. Very nice though the Avids...

Cheers, RJ

Reactions: DaveyF

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
RJ,

Kind of depends on your future plans and budget. To add to that, the appeal of total plug and play to you.
The Linn Magik gets your foot in the door of the Linn platform, allowing for considerable upgrades as budget and funds allow, leading towards a table that I think easily trumps most others on the market.
OTOH, if you want a more simplistic platform, a less costly platform , and one that allows for you to set up the table yourself and get good SQ, then the new Planar 8 would be my suggestion. Realizing that this option locks you in somewhat and will place you at a level that isn’t going to allow for improvements unless the table is replaced. Having stated that, the level that the new Planar 8 gets you to, very well might be all that is needed....that’s another personal factor.

Hope this helps,

Oh, if it were me, well I think you can see the choice I made, and I have not regretted it, please remember YMMV.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: paolo

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Hello DaveyF,

No modifications were done to the suspension. The SME V was fitted on the Kore sub-chassis with the proper SME V cut-out by a technician who used to work for Linn.

Sometime this year, Mark Dohmann will be fitting the Koetsu cartridge and will also inspect and evaluate the Linn and the SME.
With the two-box Allnic phono stage and a proper inter-systemic gain structure between the various components, the synergistic symbiosis between the system and my room more than fulfil my very high expectations of playback performance.

Cheers, Kostas.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
OK that makes sense.
As far as my perspective on this upgrade path is at the moment, I see probably two major factors at this stage:

1. Getting hold of the RP8 or planar 8, seems like a short term upgrade. No doubt I will enjoy the combination of Rega's TT and the Aria phonostage, which is basically a very good Rega phonostage!

2. For a significant upgrade and purer sound, further refinement and resolution in all areas, just upgrading the TT won't do justice. I think I'll have to change the phonostage as well, And the vicious cycle begins...

3. Referring to point 1, will probably maintain the marriage with a few minor qualms. But activating point 2 will definitely end up in the dog house.

I'll have to play it safe and sound and attend to the family priorities first rather than focus on an analog rig overhaul.

For now I'm still looking around, taking in whatever suggestions you all have provided so far, which has been invaluable! If something fantastic comes along with a solid justification in price vs performance then I'll close the deal. I'm aiming for around end of the year, will see what's awaiting.
Cheers to all, RJ

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
OK that makes sense.
As far as my perspective on this upgrade path is at the moment, I see probably two major factors at this stage:

1. Getting hold of the RP8 or planar 8, seems like a short term upgrade. No doubt I will enjoy the combination of Rega's TT and the Aria phonostage, which is basically a very good Rega phonostage!

2. For a significant upgrade and purer sound, further refinement and resolution in all areas, just upgrading the TT won't do justice. I think I'll have to change the phonostage as well, And the vicious cycle begins...

3. Referring to point 1, will probably maintain the marriage with a few minor qualms. But activating point 2 will definitely end up in the dog house.

I'll have to play it safe and sound and attend to the family priorities first rather than focus on an analog rig overhaul.

For now I'm still looking around, taking in whatever suggestions you all have provided so far, which has been invaluable! If something fantastic comes along with a solid justification in price vs performance then I'll close the deal. I'm aiming for around end of the year, will see what's awaiting.
Cheers to all, RJ

Makes sense. I think you really do need to see if you can hear the new Planar 8 in that case. WAF should be very high!

KostasP, whenever I have heard the SME/Linn match, unfortunately, I have never liked the pairing. There are a number of threads on the web as to why this isn't the ideal match. A pity, because I very much like the arm and the table, just not in combo, obviously YMMV. This is one of the biggest issues with the dear little fruit box, she's VERY persnickety as to what arm you can use!:rolleyes::)

What power supply are you using?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Thorens TD150 sorry meant Linn LP12 with 40years of modifications & upgrades to fix a flawed budget design

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Apolyt , Vertere , Techdas, Grand Prix Monaco
sold my LP12 decades ago

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
LP12 Klimax £ 18670 + Kandid £ 3210 = £ 21,880 total
bought mine new for £279 in 1981
Vertere RG ,Techdas AF3 , grand prix Parabolica , SL10R are all much cheaper

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
LP12 Klimax £ 18670 + Kandid £ 3210 = £ 21,880 total
bought mine new for £279 in 1981
Vertere RG ,Techdas AF3 , grand prix Parabolica , SL10R are all much cheaper

Once again...and again and again, same old 2 cents!:eek:...I last owned/ heard the LP12 in 1981 or IOW decades ago!:eek::(:(:( Nonetheless, you are 100% certain that the new LP12 Klimax sounds EXACTLY the same as your 1981 model!o_O....Right!

The only similarity between your 1981 model and today's Klimax...is basically the name, they are both Linn LP12's. That's about it!!

Do any of the tables you happen to mention include the cartridge and/or the arm in the price??? The Kandid is a cartridge and the Ekos SE arm are both included in the price you quoted, just FYI.;)

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Linn certainly is a venerable brand. What would say are one or two fundamental differencex between the early models and the Klimax?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Linn certainly is a venerable brand. What would say are one or two fundamental differencex between the early models and the Klimax?
The fundamental difference between the new models and the older models lies in the ability of the newer models to bring about a much much quieter background. I think due to the increased inter note silence, we hear a much greater dynamic envelope. Linn have gone to great lengths to reduce the sound of the table, they have engineered a better more rigid subchassis, much more precise motor and speed control and have improved the bearing immensely.IMO, just the Cirkus bearing upgrade alone was very substantial.

When you add the whole addition of these upgrades, the sum becomes much greater than any individual part.
The old models with the Valhalla Power supplies, or even the early Lingo power supplies and the old style motor and bearing where vastly inferior in SQ to what is possible today. Even the latest plinths have been improved greatly, the new Booplinth is another large step up. ( I wish it wasn’t so darn expensive!).
Therefore, those that are comparing their old (in many cases decades old) remembrance of their vintage 80-90’s era LInn LP12 to the new and full Monty Linn Klimax, really have no clue as to what they talk about, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing