(Tube) phono stage with multiple equalization curves

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Urs, thanks
I also had this Swiss mono phono on my mind.
But since I am only interested in mono vinyl and not the old Coarse groove, the additional 3 equalisations AES, Columbia LP and CCIR for mono vinyl, were not enough for me.
Unfortunately, I cannot correctly equalise my monos from Decca, RCA, Phillips etc. and so on, with it. The possibility of being able to operate all 20 different EQ curves was to me as a Mono Record collector simply too tempting for me.

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Music collectors have very individual demands when it comes to authentic reproduction. The TechDas PLayer was only the beginning. Since recently, a second tonearm has been mounted especially for mono playback. Add to this the AS Monophonic - True Mono - from Audiospecials, german manufacturer for professional solutions, and the journey into music history could begin.

What was immediately noticeable was that the old Blue Notes Records can now finally be heard with the appropriate treble reproduction. With stereo phono stages, the treble was always too weak and underexposed. No wonder, 3.7 dB treble drop is no pleasure and there was simply missing the charm of the old Rudy van Gelder recordings, which are otherwise so great. Similar with my DG Classic records with there CCIR EQ Curves.

_DSC0871_1.jpg

groovemaster

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Music collectors have very individual demands when it comes to authentic reproduction. The TechDas PLayer was only the beginning. Since recently, a second tonearm has been mounted especially for mono playback. Add to this the AS Monophonic - True Mono - from Audiospecials, german manufacturer for professional solutions, and the journey into music history could begin.

What was immediately noticeable was that the old Blue Notes Records can now finally be heard with the appropriate treble reproduction. With stereo phono stages, the treble was always too weak and underexposed. No wonder, 3.7 dB treble drop is no pleasure and there was simply missing the charm of the old Rudy van Gelder recordings, which are otherwise so great. Similar with my DG Classic records with there CCIR EQ Curves.

View attachment 73763

groovemaster
Wow with a Derrenville LT arm and a Kuzma, nice ! How do they compare ? How is operation of the Derrenville arm ? No WBF members have reported real live experience yet, please elaborate ! :)

Reactions: Derainer

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
groovemaster, which mono cartridge(s) are you using?

my2sons52

Feb 11, 2017
Maryland
I own an Allnic 7000v phono stage in excellent condition, which I can sell for 7500 pounds with the KR 5u4g special rectifier. You can take the stock rectifier as well but the performance boosts with the Allnic.

I am selling because I don't have a system. I buy to send around to friends and do compares. For example, I bought this to compare with Ypsilon phono. I have already compared the 3000 with trulife and zesto and heard it many times, so bought the 7000v. You can see a long history of posts from me of praising Allnic provided the recti is rolled
Bonozo- where can i read about your review comparison between the Ypsilon phono Allnic 7000?

Reactions: Aj123

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Wow with a Derrenville LT arm and a Kuzma, nice ! How do they compare ? How is operation of the Derrenville arm ? No WBF members have reported real live experience yet, please elaborate ! :)
Well, the Dereneville Arm. Not easy to describe this outstanding beauty.

Here it fits perfectly on the TechDas drive, which is not a matter of course with such a technical tonearm work of art. There are photos that show the successful proportions of the tonearm to the turntable.

The sound.
The direct comparison to the Kuzma is not entirely fair because they are very different constructions and price ranges.
With same cartridges the Dereneville is even more holographic, more transparent, better localisation with even more bass control. I have never heard a better arm. A class of its own.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Here it fits perfectly on the TechDas drive, which is not a matter of course with such a technical tonearm work of art. There are photos that show the successful proportions of the tonearm to the turntable.

The sound.
The direct comparison to the Kuzma is not entirely fair because they are very different constructions and price ranges.
With same cartridges the Dereneville is even more holographic, more transparent, better localisation with even more bass control. I have never heard a better arm. A class of its own.
Danke für die Beschreibung ! :)

Reactions: Derainer

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Meanwhile, the first feedbacks come from the experiences with the new AS Monophonic -TRUE MONO- phono amplifier from Audiospecials , Germany.
Here a user shows really exemplary, as it is rarely found, how the classic mono record with today's high-end equipment can be raised to a whole new level. Completely unbelievable, what potential is already slumbering in a Microgroove on the recording side. It just wants to be awakened.

Really interesting Blog:

groovemaster

Monophonic_2.jpg

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
groovemaster, which mono cartridge(s) are you using?

I myself use Ortofon, Miayima and Grado.

Btw.
Mono fans often have vintage classics. Here the AS mono amplifier with a real classic. An Accuphase C-200X preamplifier. The champagne-coloured fronts of the ACCUPHASE are always a challenge to combine with other brands. This music collector is a mono fan with a focus on classical music. These are many records from the fifties, Deutsche Grammophon and some DECCA cut with CCIR distortion. The AS Monophonic can do that because of its customisability. Loudspeakers are Quad ESL-57. Very fine resolution and also sounding out the depth of the orchestra. A beautiful vintage chain in my opinion.

Monophonic_1_210421.jpg

groovemaster

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

The sound.
I'm very familiar the sound of AF2P and AF3P but I had no clue about how Dereneville Arm sounds. thank you for sharing your experience.
Btw I saw that a Kondo copper interconnect connected to Dereneville Arm. instead of that I highly recommend using silver cables from Kondo brand. Ls-41 in this case.

Coltrane23

Aug 9, 2019
Thanks to all for your additional valuable input !

BruceD -
===
....consulting with AMR there could be a cracker stage in the works soon--worth a listen then maybe ?...
====
THIS is interesting news indeed :cool: - as a matter of fact, I was surprised to learn that AMR should stop their successful road on a “high-end Multi-Curve Phone Stage”. (They are also selling a somewhat budget-class “Ifi” Phono stage)

AMR are located in the UK and are "sort of close to home" - makes it attractive for me.

As to the choice of non-RIAA EQ-curves, below my impression with the Lab12 MELTO2.
Once you are seriously infected by the incurable "True Mono Bug", ;) other EQ-curves become an addiction….
(Below a lengthy thread, copied & translated from the German AAA-Forum)

Regards
Urs

PS: The NEW "multi -curve phono-stage " would / should replace my complete current phono-pre system in one unique device
===========
Lab12 MELTO 2 - a “MONO –friendly” tube phono preamp
A few months ago I bought a mono (“microgroove”) cartridge ("True Mono Generator") and I found that a suitable phono preamplifier is required, so for some days now I've been using the Lab12 MELTO 2 tube phono preamp.

WHAT makes a "mono-friendly" phono pre? In my opinion, it needs:
- Different equalization characteristics (EQ curves): The MELTO has, in addition to the RIAA, Decca and Columbia as alternatives.
- It has a mono / stereo switch, e.g. for those who don’t have a true mono cartridge.

For more features and details, I like to refer to the homepage, with the technical specifications.
https://www.lab12.gr/melto2

In short, the MELTO is equipped with:
- Three RCA phono inputs and two outputs, 1 x RCA and 1 x XLR.
- Various comprehensive customization options for fine tuning MC and MM pickups.

And everything can be adjusted via remote control - this is probably a novelty in this price range !

Before I go into the sonic advantages, I have to explain my initial situation.
All my stereo pickups are "Very Low Output" and have been chosen to work well with a step-up transformer (SUT) .This applies also my new mono cartridge from Ikeda. The SUT usually connects into my "big" MM tube RIAA stage. (I deliberately refrain from naming brands – suffice to say that both the SUT and MM stage individually cost more than the MELTO2 - so I couldn’t speak of a fair comparison anyway)

Back to the MELTO: I have actually listened to only “half of the device”, since I have retained the SUT and only used the MM input. And of the MM tube half, I was again only interested in the part, which concerns the mono playback with RIAA and the two alternative EQ curves.

(BTW: the MC part consists also of internal SUT’s, among other features)

The result is very good. It was clear to me - or at least that's what I hoped - that the DECCA or Columbia curves would have a positive effect with the matching mono LP records.

Nevertheless, the sound improvement baffled me. Also a - as I said unfair - comparison to my "big" RIAA stage was amazing. With the correct EQ curve, the MELTO placed a more pleasing sound in my living room than the "wrong" RIAA curve of the "big ones". Provided, of course that the Mono record was also cut accordingly.

Whereby, with a (mono) LP with normal RIAA equalization, my "big" MM-stage provided even more space, a deeper stage and more of this incredible "Euphonic Mono Magic".

(Ouch, here I must have caught the "Fake-News Button": MONO ? More space ?? Deeper stage ??? ... "Can’t be !" the mono-sceptics will immediately exclaim ... "works very well, and how ! " , hopefully Mono-supporters will help me ...)

In my opinion, the prerequisite is a (very) good MONO cartridge - and, as noted, a suitable phono stage.
My record collection includes several old stereo LPs, of which I am not sure if they were really cut to RIAA. Or whether they were simply "lousy mastered".

In both cases I had the possibility with the MELTO, either with Decca or Columbia equalization to tweak the frequency response a bit.

The “competitors”:
I confess that I do not know the market of "affordable" phono preamps with selectable EQ curves. Known only by name are: Graham Slee, MONK Audio, then there's ifi "micro iPhono2".
The MELTO is available for under 4000.- Euros; In this context, I would give the MELTO good value for money, with the restriction that I've only listened to half the device.
In my opinion, above this quality level, it will get much more expensive: The "Thöress" would possibly be in the realm of the financially possible; then come the Audio Research, and other, also pecuniary high-flyers, such as devices from TW-Acustic and AMR, not to speak from the ultra-high-end machines from EMT and FM-Acoustics, etc. these trade, as far as I’m informed, well over 10'000 or even 20'000 ?, Euros.

If you are looking for an affordable, versatile mono-compatible phono-pre, you should definitely listen to the MELTO.

And: for "lazy bums", such as me, the MELTO offers the benefit of a remote control !

Regards

Urs
=================
Did you ever get your hands on an AMR PH-77?

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Since just a few hours, a second hand AMR PH-77 Phono stage is installed in my system.

First of all, I'll have to learn and apply those many interesting options and functions, until everything is finely tuned
……there are some 20 odd EQ curves to choose from, among many other features ….;)

Regards
Urs

An insider source indicated, that any new TOTL AMR phono stage may still be a few months (or even years ?? ) away....hence I took the opportunity to get this well-kept used unit.

Coltrane23

To your query:
YES - see above
And YES, I'm exceedingly happy with this new "Old" Toy - Note: it's over 10 years old ! - and regretfully out of production.
And YES again, the various EQ curves are beneficial, IF you have the appropriate records, of course .

Regards
Urs

Needless to say: any modern phono stage with multiple EQ Curves is likely on par…

Coltrane23

Aug 9, 2019

Coltrane23

To your query:
YES - see above
And YES, I'm exceedingly happy with this new "Old" Toy - Note: it's over 10 years old ! - and regretfully out of production.
And YES again, the various EQ curves are beneficial, IF you have the appropriate records, of course .

Regards
Urs

Needless to say: any modern phono stage with multiple EQ Curves is likely on par…
Wow I have been looking for a used AMR PH-77 for some time with no luck....lucky you.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I myself use Ortofon, Miayima and Grado.

Btw.
Mono fans often have vintage classics. Here the AS mono amplifier with a real classic. An Accuphase C-200X preamplifier. The champagne-coloured fronts of the ACCUPHASE are always a challenge to combine with other brands. This music collector is a mono fan with a focus on classical music. These are many records from the fifties, Deutsche Grammophon and some DECCA cut with CCIR distortion. The AS Monophonic can do that because of its customisability. Loudspeakers are Quad ESL-57. Very fine resolution and also sounding out the depth of the orchestra. A beautiful vintage chain in my opinion.

View attachment 77238

groovemaster
If he's not had the power supplies rebuilt in that Accuphase I would get it done immediately. I would also change out the electrolytics on the various modules as they are all far too old to be considered reliable or in spec!

Reactions: Lampie519

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
If he's not had the power supplies rebuilt in that Accuphase I would get it done immediately. I would also change out the electrolytics on the various modules as they are all far too old to be considered reliable or in spec!
Very good advice.
His dealer had also strongly advised him to do this. Replace the caps and clean the pots. This resulted in a great gain, quasi Accuphase factory condition.

analogsense

May 10, 2021
Germany
The correct equalisation of mono records seems to be not unimportant.

I still have a few old Mono Blue Note Jazz records that are very good recordings but are conspicuous for their pale treble reproduction. A pity really. Could this be due to incorrect equalisation?

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
The correct equalisation of mono records seems to be not unimportant.

I still have a few old Mono Blue Note Jazz records that are very good recordings but are conspicuous for their pale treble reproduction. A pity really. Could this be due to incorrect equalisation?
This cood be possible if the record has been released befor 1955. What title?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing