Tube preamp suggestions under $11K, new/used

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
I have just upgraded my Zesto Andros 1.2 phonostage to the Andros Deluxe 2 and it will be burning in this weekend.
Also, I want to upgrade my Zesto Leto 1.5 preamp. If I stayed with the Zesto line, the upgrade would be to the Leto Ultra II which retails for $11K.
Ken Micallef wrote a very positive review in Stereophile (January 21, 2021) which is the only review of the Leto Ultra 2 I can find.
There is a very positive review of the previous version, Leto Ultra, by Robert Levi in Positive Feedback (2-22-2020)
There is very little information out on these preamps and I don't see anyone else who has them?
I am a little leary of spending $11K on a 'blind' buy.

At that price point I'm sure there are many very nice preamps and if I look into used, I bet there are some real nice preamps.
I want sound quality first, but also want reliability and a company with good support/customer service.

Next year I plan on upgrading speakers and amps.

Your suggestions and help are greatly appreciated!

Rick

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
At $11K, second hand, you have a lot of great options...imagine that you are looking at [ballpark] 50% off even if you are buying from authorized dealers. So you have purchasing power of up to $22K for a preamp now.

What is your ideal preamp? What are your priorities? Tube? SS? SE, XLR...plus sound-wise, what are your priorities in where the preamp excels or may not be as strong?

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I say keep what you have and put those funds into your speaker upgrade, far better move IMO and your ears will thank you !

Reactions: rich121

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Have you tried a passive preamp with the Zesto? Could be useful to experiment with something cheap and if shows promise go for a top AVC / TVC...

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
I would suggest an Audiopax Model 5. It's not a tube preamp but sounds essentially like one, only without the issues small signal tubes and HT power supplies bring. It's the closest I've heard to a faultless preamp (a big statement I know).

I've always preferred tubes and the rest of my system (power amp, DAC, phono stage, even head amp) is tube based. But somehow the Audiopax is a lovely fit. Mine is somewhere between a generation 4 (the previous model) and the recently released generation 5 model, with the revised power supply. Try and hear one if you can.

Mine replaced an EAR 912 and beat several tube preamps including Silvercore and Audio Research Ref 3 (which I previously preferred to the Ref 5) when I was auditioning for an upgrade. I had the more expensive Audiopax L50 on loan while it was being built and preferred my Model 5 (though I'm told similar upgrades are on the way for the L50).

Actually I think a listen to the Model 5 ought to be compulsory for everyone on record as recommending a passive - it has a passive's purity but with far better drive and without all the impedance issues that inevitably show up as a lumpy response.

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
@Solypsa

Are the output specs for the Andros Deluxe 2 good for an AVC?

Outputs per channel

• High quality output transformers driven by dedicated 12DW7/ECC832 output tubes
  • True floating ground, transformer Balanced XLR gold plated outputs
  • Single Ended gold plated RCA output, with isolated ground
  • Impedance 150 Ohms
  • +9 V max output level

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Certainly looks promising, but only way to know is to try ;) ( the amp that follows is also a part of the equation of course... )

Many passive solutions are not balanced but it would be good to test it with one that is if you normally run xlr to the amp

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
Maybe Allnic , Vac Renaissance, CAT , Nagra?
these are on my mind if I upgrade one day from my EAR 912. But for now have no idea on how they compare.
what I like about the 912 are the dynamics and involvement, along with tubes sound attributes.
CAT Legend would be on my radar, if it was not so expensive today ( it has doubled the price in 10 years).

Reactions: Maxb

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Like the other posters, since you already have a Leto preamp why not try a Music First TVC. Linear Tube Audio is an inexpensive choice that might be an interesting as well - a David Berning design.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have just upgraded my Zesto Andros 1.2 phonostage to the Andros Deluxe 2 and it will be burning in this weekend.
Also, I want to upgrade my Zesto Leto 1.5 preamp. If I stayed with the Zesto line, the upgrade would be to the Leto Ultra II which retails for $11K.
Ken Micallef wrote a very positive review in Stereophile (January 21, 2021) which is the only review of the Leto Ultra 2 I can find.
There is a very positive review of the previous version, Leto Ultra, by Robert Levi in Positive Feedback (2-22-2020)
There is very little information out on these preamps and I don't see anyone else who has them?
I am a little leary of spending $11K on a 'blind' buy.

At that price point I'm sure there are many very nice preamps and if I look into used, I bet there are some real nice preamps.
I want sound quality first, but also want reliability and a company with good support/customer service.

Next year I plan on upgrading speakers and amps.

Your suggestions and help are greatly appreciated!

Rick

The Thomas mayer 10y preamp is by far the best valve pre I have heard but you will get used one more like 11k GBP than dollar, if you are lucky, usually more, for the silver. slightly less for copper, and depends which valves you get

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Way under your price point, but I just can’t stop listening to a Transcendent Sound “The Masterpiece” preamp. It uses two 300B tubes is dead silent and intoxicating to listen to.
I've wondered about that one. Seems like a deal.

Did you build the kit? I am a little curious about parts quality ( given the modest cost ) and wonder if you upgraded anything or just enjoy as-is?

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
You can find a used thrax Dionysos in that price range. They are under rated and but top class.

Apr 13, 2020

Did you build the kit? I am a little curious about parts quality ( given the modest cost ) and wonder if you upgraded anything or just enjoy as-is?
Yes, I built the kit. I changed the volume control to an alps pot just for the linearity at the extremes. I later changed the output capacitors to Obbligato gold for a not noticeable change in quality of sound.

Apr 13, 2020

I would absolutely build the kit with no changes other than the volume pot.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
conrad johnson GAT - would be an amazing upgrade

Reactions: Puma Cat

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
I settled on a Lamm LL2.1

Reactions: Bobvin and gestalt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing