Two birds - One stone?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

It's a bit of a reach but with a little imagination, reasonable listening skills, and earbuds, I think it can be done.

1. It's no secret that for the past 20+ years "the room" was deemed by so many throughout the industry to be without question THE most important component in any given playback system.

If there's even a hint of truth to such claims, then referencing just one of these videos, I would think it easy for any room savvy type to point out at least a few of my room's strong suits and/or shortcomings. Better yet, perhaps a room savvy type could venture a guess at my room's dimensions or even venture a guess at how much I've invested in my room and/or treating its acoustic anomalies. At the very least, I would think it relatively easy for a room savvy type to suggest ways in which I might improve my listening room and/or minimize any acoustic anomalies.

Regardless, what I think I'm able to demonstrate with just one of these or numerous other in-room recordings is that when a playback system's noise floor is so dramatically lowered, great percentages of previously inaudible volumes of ambient info (the lowest of low-level detail but also the most voluminous) will now become audible at the speaker because it's now above the dramatically lowered noise floor. And it's not just what a dramatically lowered noise floor does to the previously inaudible music info but also the previously audible music info too. Basically, at this juncture one becomes able to hear far greater completion of a given music note as well as anything else associated with that music note than previously thought possible, including and especially the volumes of precious ambient info.

As a result, any room acoustic anomalies are not actually reduced by any means but rather the newly audible volumes of ambient info embedded in a given recording will now completely overshadow most all listening room acoustic anomalies. IOW, the listening room and all its anomalies have all but disappeared i.e. completely overshadowed and with the room all but gone, one's listening perspective is now transformed to somewhere within the recording hall - even if it's near the restrooms. In conclusion, the import of the room (perhaps any room) was never really anything more than a basic requirement (think AC, speakers, amplifiers, etc) and most certainly a far cry from being the most important component.

In contrast, this perhaps also implies that for playback systems possessing much raised noise floors, it's entirely possible that a severely compromised playback music presentation with incomplete notes and very little ambient info remaining audible at the speaker must compete head-to-head with the listening room's acoustic anomalies. In such a case, then perhaps for those types the room is indeed the most important component. Even so, it's still an erroneous conclusion and therefore folklore.

BTW, please crank up the volume. To the best of my knowledge, nothing's ever been proven while listening to playback music at elevator music volume levels.

2. If I'm successful here making my point in #1 above, then this should also demonstrate at least to me that amateur in-room recordings are potentially beneficial in audio forums.

If there's any evidence to prove me wrong, I'm all ears.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing