Two generations audiophile?

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Any of your kids share the passion for audio? Listening with the son, or working on audio projects with the Dad? Audio can be quite a non-bonding activity when it comes to family involvement, at least thats what it appears to be in my case. Love to hear other stories.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Interesting thread.

being my father a classical and jazz music listener only, we did not share much when it came to love for music.
Oddly, it’s him that told me to attend an audio show in the mid 90s, when I was a teen, with me getting hyper about the experience. He was into audio gear when I was a young adult, but he stopped caring over time. Of course, if he’ll decide to fly to visit me in my new home, he won’t be spare from a listening session

Now that I’m a father and I have a girl and a boy, I try to do some listening with them: no audio geek stuff yet, just love for music. They’re 8 and 6 respectively: let’s see if they’ll still like to spin some records with me once they’ll be teen!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I followed my late father into Hi-F. Even in the 80’s it was a regular upgrading of components. Garrard 401 to Oracle Premiere and early triplanar with original koetsu onyx, quad 33/303 with esl 57’s (then stacked) to lux laboratory reference components and beveridge system 3 with RM1-RM2 pre and stasis 1000 mono blocks and myriad other items in between. Supplemented with a Revox A700 RTR and B261 tuner (I think that was the model numbe)
He was one of the earliest customers of Absolute Sounds in the UK.
As you say, great bonding going to shops, shows, listening and many hours talking!
Fantastic memories

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
3 generations here. My father was an audiophile. My brother and I got the bug when we were teenagers. My son got interested when he was about 15. Now he is in college and he has a fairly decent system. Actually his system is way better than the one I had when I was his age. Some of his system’s components are actually items I used to own and that I gave him instead of trying selling.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
My daughters grew up with this stuff and take it for granted but one of my sons-in-law is a real comrade in arms. When we (he and I) met, he already had Quads on custom stands. Now, I am proud to be the oldest member of an informal audio group devoted to high quality multichannel sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing