Two reissue high rez Beethoven Symphonies boxsets

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
For the Karajan set, I'm wondering if the new set on CD is the same as the CD layer on the DG hybrid SACD set remastered in 2003. Insights?

typically tapes will be mastered to 96/24 or 88/24; then the SACD's or CD's will be mastered from that. rarely a tape will be mastered to dsd directly. mostly DG discloses their mastering process on their CD's and SACD's......you will see this process there.

so go get the high rez file from HD tracks and that will be closest to the tapes.

i do lots of comparing PCM high rez PCM files to dsd files and it's very easy to hear how the PCM high rez is better than the dsd every time, unless specifically it was dsd mastered from tape. and for years i was a dsd champion. but improvements in dac chips and designs have raised the PCM performance and changed that equation.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
I think i looked those up as well at some point in the past and came to the same conclusion. I also own the 2003. However, in this latest case, the suggestion is that these remasters were redone in 2019?

See Presto Music suggesting it "is an update on 2003 remaster"

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8042445--beethoven-9-symphonies

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KKXOT54/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm getting confused researching this, but I think both releases are from the same 24/96 master. This new issue has some extras included such as artwork and Blu-ray.
One possible way to tell if it's a new remaster is to compare the lengths of each track. Remasters are usually off by a few seconds.

In any event, the hires on Qobuz sounds terrific; more layered and focused than CD quality.
As Mike Lavigne suggested, ultimate SQ can be realised with a download.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
typically tapes will be mastered to 96/24 or 88/24; then the SACD's or CD's will be mastered from that. rarely a tape will be mastered to dsd directly. mostly DG discloses their mastering process on their CD's and SACD's......you will see this process there.

so go get the high rez file from HD tracks and that will be closest to the tapes.

i do lots of comparing PCM high rez PCM files to dsd files and it's very easy to hear how the PCM high rez is better than the dsd every time, unless specifically it was dsd mastered from tape. and for years i was a dsd champion. but improvements in dac chips and designs have raised the PCM performance and changed that equation.

I have the Bruno Walter 'The Edition' collection from Sony. Is the new release much better? I agree with you Mike, high quality CD is underrated compared to all the DSD hype.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing