Uh Oh

Raider

Jul 30, 2020
Knowledgeable peeps...I purchased a pair of lightly used B&W CM5's to replace my 1997 B&W DM602's. The 602's have been exemplary with a couple of shortcomings, mainly a bit of mud in the midrange and can be a little shrill on some high notes. Overall though they did their job. I hooked up the CM's and right off the difference in mid/high clarity, detail, spaciousness and accuracy of musical notes were remarkable. Very pleased with this. The 602's handled the low end quite well maybe because of the larger cabinet, driver and placement of the flowport. No matter what I threw at them they performed with valor. The CM's however are quite boomy. Not pleased with this at all. They are occupying the same space as the 602's. I've tweaked speaker placement. Foam plugs in, plugs out, sleeves in. Only slightly less boominess. I switched crossover from 80hz to 90 to 100 with varying degrees of success or failure. Yamaha Pure Direct mode eliminates the subwoofer but is where my 602's really shine. With the CM's...boomy. I'm getting an uh oh feeling. CM5's.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing