Universal 3D Glasses

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't think they work with all formats but rather, all TVs which use shuttered glasses (current consumer standard). The problem they have solved is to be able to receive the control signal from different TVs much like a universal remote would do (in reverse).

cal87

Jun 14, 2010
Tracy, CA
The industry really needs to get their act together. They should have had everything standardized before release.
Apparently, the left/right can be reversed according to manufacturer, so you might have to wear the glasses upside down.
I think I saw an option in the Panasonic menu where you can reverse the sync, not sure about other manufacturers though.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was at a local Future Shop a few days ago and they had 2 lovely young ladies from Sony standing by one of their new 3D displays. Didn't take notice of the Model and screen size, but the picture looked fantastic...and that was in 2D (no glasses). They had AVATAR showing and man it looked like a 3D image, and that's without the glasses. The scene they showed was under that tree when those jellyfish-like flowers or whatever are falling from their branches. I was thinking...why am I seeing a 3D image when I'm not wearing 3D glasses, it was that good.

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The brain uses many cues to determine distance between object. The differential positioning between the eyes is only one of them. Depth of field,and changing perspective are other examples of telegraphing distance. You can see that in one of my images:

There is no doubt that there is a sense of 3-D space in there....

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Agreed. The brain is used to seeing this as 3D so fills in whatever blanks there may be. Forget what the figure is but with our close eye spacing stereo vision only works for depth perception for a limited distance.

Personally I've found the use of lovely young ladies in marketing to sometimes be rather disingeneous. There's been a few commercials on that to this day I still don't know what they were trying to sell.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Les, your point is well taken regarding ads. But want to clarify that the above was a picture I took in Japan ("counterculture girls"). It is not an image for a commercial.

I would owe someone money if such an image is used commercially to sell something :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing