IMG_0111.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IMG_0112.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Above are screenshots of the two posts I made on the original Mofi thread. As readers can see, I am clearly stating that the lack of transparency was a problem.

And the comment on thoughtful observers relates to my explanation of the technical reasons. It does NOT suggest in any way that people having issues with mofi’s lack of transparency are less thoughtful.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Let's be real: the reasons neither for suing the company nor the settlement have anything to do with sound quality. Let's also note the terms excluded any possiblity for traders to be compensated for (prospective or paid for) secondary market prices markup (in the respective forums and YT videos etc.: those people who were/are whining the loudliest).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Reactions: Lee

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
There are no relentless personal attacks. You have taken every opportunity to defend MoFi here on the forum including indicating that audiophiles who thought MoFi were fraudulent were thoughtless, by using the phrase "for other more thoughtful audioghiles"

The only one who does personal attacks by calling people "douchebag" and "asshole" is you.

Oh @Lee

You really are the protector of overpriced audio companies, whether they be hardware or software

Do you also get free or discounted mofi records as well as cheap hifi gear?

Why don't you do another useless video, this time supporting mofi and other audiophile ripoff labels and argue there is no law of diminishing returns with overpriced vinyl :p

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

wil

Jul 22, 2015
There are no relentless personal attacks. You have taken every opportunity to defend MoFi here on the forum including indicating that audiophiles who thought MoFi were fraudulent were thoughtless, by using the phrase "for other more thoughtful audioghiles"

The only one who does personal attacks by calling people "douchebag" and "asshole" is you.
M
Oh @Lee

You really are the protector of overpriced audio companies, whether they be hardware or software

Why don't you do another useless video, this time supporting mofi and other audiophile ripoff labels and argue there is no law of diminishing returns with overpriced vinyl :p
So, you’re basically accusing Lee of being a paid-off schill for various audio companies?

These attacks, in response to his mostly well reasoned posts, seem way over the top to me.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Oh @Lee

I am just calling it as I see it.

audiophile ripoff labels?

I think MFSL, Impex, Analogue Productions, ORG, Intervention, and others do a very good job with their masterings. If you don’t think their products are fairly priced then just don’t buy it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So, you’re basically accusing Lee of being a paid-off schill for various audio companies?

These attacks, in response to his mostly well reasoned posts, seem way over the top to me.

If his defence of MoFi, wanting a 2 million speaker, negating law of diminishing returns, wanting CH to provide their CD player to dCS (where CH is already outsourcing) and his defence of long term loans to reviewers sounded well reasoned to you, that is on you

As such, I wholeheartedly agree with these two comments

Post in thread 'Why doesn’t dCS partner with CH Precision for transports?'

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
If his defence of MoFi, wanting a 2 million speaker, negating law of diminishing returns, wanting CH to provide their CD player to dCS (where CH is already outsourcing) and his defence of long term loans to reviewers sounded well reasoned to you, that is on you

1. Defense of MFSL: I have condemned them for the deceit several times on this board. I only objected to throwing out the baby with the bath water as MFSL is still a beneficial label that does very high quality mastering work.

2. Two Million Dollar Speaker: Out of context here as I was suggesting the trickle down would be valuable for the R&D alone. I also hinted that selling such a speaker could provide financial stability benefits to the manufacturer. Funny that no one in the car world objects to $4 million hyper cars but suddenly in audio a $2 million speaker is shameful. I like moonshots. You learn a lot from them.

3. Law of Diminishing Returns being BS: a true statement as far as speakers go (often with electronics as well) but you seem to lack experience with the better speakers so this must be a hard concept for you to grasp.

4. CH and dCS partnership: It's a good thought piece based on the concept of coopetition defined as collaboration between business competitors, in the hope of mutually beneficial results. Definitely a worthy discussion. Perhaps you can read up on it so you can keep up here.

5. Defense of long-term loans. I stand by comments here on the forum as I believe there are good business reasons for the loans.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
1. Defense of MFSL: I have condemned them for the deceit several times on this board. I only objected to throwing out the baby with the bath water as MFSL is still a beneficial label that does very high quality mastering work.

People can go to this thread, and search for all posts by Lee within that thread. The search function allows that. In that thread, where there were many condemning this practice, not a single post from Lee condemning it.

Instead he had these two

The other topics are not even worth engaging on.

wil

Jul 22, 2015

Disagree or not with his thoughts, what’s notable to me is the level of aggression and personal animas in response.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Disagree or not with his thoughts, what’s notable to me is the level of aggression and personal animas in response.

You mean like calling people “douchebag” And “asshole” and “small person” and other class distinctions to back his industry plugs?

Reactions: XV-1

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Thread is title label included 'honesty' and is referencing digital files 'enlarged' beyond their capture file to sell as high rez. Can't see how this is defensible in any way?

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Thread is title label included 'honesty' and is referencing digital files 'enlarged' beyond their capture file to sell as high rez. Can't see how this is defensible in any way?
Can’t remember anyone defending it either.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My posts here are very clear. I have repeatedly condemned Mofi for lying about the sourcing of the masters. However that has not prevented them from making good masterings and I have expressed sincere doubt that people could hear differences between Quad DSD playback and the analog tape used.

Lee,

Mofi is a taboo subject in some audiophile forums. Although a few audiophiles disliked MoFi re-issues in general, some of the golden ear people were humiliated when they found they or, even worst, their idols have been enjoying and praising LPs with digital processing. No fair discussion is possible in WBF on this annoying subject.

Independently of their cheating, that we should condemn, IMO MoFi have done more for this hobby than any other LP re-issue company for long years. I still remember that in audio shows a significant number of exhibitors choosed MoFi pressings to demo their gear.

BTW, in Europe some of their One Step sealed recordings sell regularly at the usual online sources at insane prices and I was told by a dealer that their sales go on, but are affected by the high prices of their regular LPs- most of the new generation of vinyl buyers buy essentially digitally processed cheap LPs, not the expensive audiophile pressings.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
You mean like calling people “douchebag” And “asshole” and “small person” and other class distinctions to back his industry plugs?
I must have missed the class distinctions comments…
My take on the other stuff: if you go after someone personally you might get it back in spades.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
M

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.

With some of the industry accommodation prices that exist, it is hard to be rational when it comes to value for money and if companies are ripping off their customers.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Lee,

Mofi is a taboo subject in some audiophile forums. Although a few audiophiles disliked MoFi re-issues in general, some of the golden ear people were humiliated when they found they or, even worst, their idols have been enjoying and praising LPs with digital processing. No fair discussion is possible in WBF on this annoying subject.

Independently of their cheating, that we should condemn, IMO MoFi have done more for this hobby than any other LP re-issue company for long years. I still remember that in audio shows a significant number of exhibitors choosed MoFi pressings to demo their gear.

BTW, in Europe some of their One Step sealed recordings sell regularly at the usual online sources at insane prices and I was told by a dealer that their sales go on, but are affected by the high prices of their regular LPs- most of the new generation of vinyl buyers buy essentially digitally processed cheap LPs, not the expensive audiophile pressings.
Apart from traders who lost potential profits (I’m a wine lover, so my sympathy for anyone jumping on the bandwagon to make a quick buck is negligible to say the least), I’ve often wondered in these past months if it’s mainly purists who are mad at MoFi because of the realization that they could NOT tell the difference between an analogue and a digital master being used. False advertisement is a criminal offense, that part is obvious. But the outrage among audiophiles, who for the most part extolled the sound quality (e.g. in print, forums and YT video reviews) of the same releases they’re now damning, portrays a “butthurt” emotional quality way beyond being miffed as in “we’re being lied to” (what else is new?).

Last edited:
Reactions: PYP, Lee and wil

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I’ve often wondered in these past months if it’s mainly purists who are mad at MoFi because of the realization that they could NOT tell the difference between an analogue and a digital master being used.
Nobody was trying to tell if analog or digital master is used. People were and still are trying to get the best possible pressing and listen to music.

MOFI used digital copies of the master tapes and lied to customers. The thing is not primarily about analog or digital but cutting from a copy of the master tape. In this case digital copy which is adding an additional A/D and D/A conversions and some computer processes in the chain. The problem is about adding unnecessary additional digital stage. If you can not cut from the master tape let other companies who can.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing