Upcoming CES: Anything exciting or just another Yenta-fest for insiders and elites?

PROMETHEUS was the Titan god of forethought and crafty counsel who was entrusted with the task of moulding mankind out of clay. His attempts to better the lives of his creation brought him into direct conflict with Zeus. Firstly he tricked the gods out of the best portion of the sacrificial feast, acquiring the meat for the feasting of man. Then, when Zeus withheld fire, he stole it from heaven and delivered it to mortal kind hidden inside a fennel-stalk. As punishment for these rebellious acts, Zeus ordered the creation of Pandora (the first woman) as a means to deliver misfortune into the house of man, or as a way to cheat mankind of the company of the good spirits. Prometheus meanwhile, was arrested and bound to a stake on Mount Kaukasos where an eagle was set to feed upon his ever-regenerating liver (or, some say, heart). Generations later the great hero Herakles came along and released the old Titan from his torture.

Prometheus was loosely identified in cult and myth with the fire-god Hephaistos and the giant Tityos.

:);)

-- ...And just for more fun, check the Greek definition of Theta.

* Interesting too that Pandora is part of Prometheus's 'sabbatical fiction'.

And Zeus has some' to do with Superman. ...I got some Paradigm Titan speakers.

My impression so far of CES 2013. Lowest manufacturer turnout I've seen since the recession. Traffic, maybe because the show's during the week, was pretty lame today.

Sound was not much to write home about. Of the rooms that I heard today, the standout was the BAT room with their new REX2 amplifier and preamplifier (no caps in the signal path and using amorphous coupling transformers). Ancillary gear including the top of the line AVID table/SME arm/Dynavector XV1 (not sure if S or T) and Aerial 7 Ts (best I heard save for a little, not unusual for show conditions, boominess in he bass).

Promising is the CAT room with the new JL5 amplifiers using Kt-120 Tubes. Promising because as it turns out the Sashas are brand new and lack bass extension and overall dynamics. But the midrange to top end (of course with analog/Simon Yorke/vdh Frog) was exquisite.

I also want to go back and spend more time in the Martin-Logan/CLX room where they're using the Matthew-James Cello Encore amplifiers that I recently gave a PFO Product of the Year. The sound that I heard, though, with limited listening, was 10^6 times better than last year.

My impression so far of CES 2013. Lowest manufacturer turnout I've seen since the recession. Traffic, maybe because the show's during the week, was pretty lame today.

Sound was not much to write home about. Of the rooms that I heard today, the standout was the BAT room with their new REX2 amplifier and preamplifier (no caps in the signal path and using amorphous coupling transformers). Ancillary gear including the top of the line AVID table/SME arm/Dynavector XV1 (not sure if S or T) and Aerial 7 Ts (best I heard save for a little, not unusual for show conditions, boominess in he bass).

Promising is the CAT room with the new JL5 amplifiers using Kt-120 Tubes. Promising because as it turns out the Sashas are brand new and lack bass extension and overall dynamics. But the midrange to top end (of course with analog/Simon Yorke/vdh Frog) was exquisite.

I also want to go back and spend more time in the Martin-Logan/CLX room where they're using the Matthew-James Cello Encore amplifiers that I recently gave a PFO Product of the Year. The sound that I heard, though, with limited listening, was 10^6 times better than last year.

Could you do something more akin to speed dating?;)

Well the bulk of my report will be on PFO :)

Myles,
Any truth on the rumors about some changes in the Audio Research CD8 CD player?
Better question, did you listen to the CD9? :)

Last edited:
Myles,
Any truth on the rumors about some changes in the Audio Research CD8 CD player?

Haven't been in their room yet. Will check with Dave or Warren.

Some other exciting CES news for analog lovers!

Chad/Acoustic Sounds showed me a mockup of their very forthcoming UHQR pressings. Hand pressed on their two modded Finebuilt presses (eg no vibrations and constant temps), 200 g, Clarity vinyl, boxed sets, etc. For those technically inclined, lots of technical data (like MOFI did in their day but going much deeper) supporting the superiority of the UHQR format. Price won't be cheap with a ballpark figure of $100/album.

First UHQR album slated to be a double release of Waltz for Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard. I asked Chad if there's any possibility of reissuing I Robot (an old UHQR) but appears that some other label has already acquired the rights to reissue the Alan Parson's recordings.

Looking forward to the feedback on the new YGA Kipod signature passive and there new top of the line Sonja speakers. Great to hear the BAT room was sounding nice. Have had the REX pre for 4 years, and the REX amps for 2, enjoy them everyday.

Looking forward to the feedback on the new YGA Kipod signature passive and there new top of the line Sonja speakers. Great to hear the BAT room was sounding nice. Have had the REX pre for 4 years, and the REX amps for 2, enjoy them everyday.

Yes, the BAT cave was really nice. Sat down with Steve and Geoff and had a good time listening to music (BTW Geoff has turned me onto some really good Blues artists over the years!). You'll enjoy the new amp and preamp! Just really, really quiet and amazing texture. If only my friend's Aerial 7Ts sounded 1/4 as good as it did in the BAT cave.

Yes, the BAT cave was really nice. Sat down with Steve and Geoff and had a good time listening to music (BTW Geoff has turned me onto some really good Blues artists over the years!). You'll enjoy the new amp and preamp! Just really, really quiet and amazing texture. If only my friend's Aerial 7Ts sounded 1/4 as good as it did in the BAT cave.

I've been using my REX/REX combo with the YG Carmels, 100% happy. Are these upgrades of the REX gear?

Myles,
Please do not forget we would also love to know how the Aida's are sounding ...

And the new YG s would love to hear them also, coming back on the remark that the wilson sashas were nt " burned in " , i find that always a easy excuus from a show participant , here in holland one reads that regarly to , if someone says he didnt like the sound of the system then they say the cables werent burned in .
One might think that paying serious $$$for a room /exposure such as on CES , the speakers would come prepared.

Ps i do know off course a hotelroom isnt always optimal for a system to show its capabilties

Last edited:
Some other exciting CES news for analog lovers!

Chad/Acoustic Sounds showed me a mockup of their very forthcoming UHQR pressings. Hand pressed on their two modded Finebuilt presses (eg no vibrations and constant temps), 200 g, Clarity vinyl, boxed sets, etc. For those technically inclined, lots of technical data (like MOFI did in their day but going much deeper) supporting the superiority of the UHQR format. Price won't be cheap with a ballpark figure of $100/album.

First UHQR album slated to be a double release of Waltz for Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard. I asked Chad if there's any possibility of reissuing I Robot (an old UHQR) but appears that some other label has already acquired the rights to reissue the Alan Parson's recordings.

Very exciting news; thanks for sharing!

I asked Chad if there's any possibility of reissuing I Robot (an old UHQR) but appears that some other label has already acquired the rights to reissue the Alan Parson's recordings.

Like I need another pressing, but you know I might be persuaded....any idea on the label?

737699_2660550289485_1871837699_o (1).jpg

And the new YG s would love to hear them also, coming back on the remark that the wilson sashas were nt " burned in " , i find that always a easy excuus from a show participant , here in holland one reads that regarly to , if someone says he didnt like the sound of the system then they say the cables werent burned in .
One might think that paying serious $$$for a room /exposure such as on CES , the speakers would come prepared.

Ps i do know off course a hotelroom isnt always optimal for a system to show its capabilties

Part of the issue though is that the speakers aren't Kens and were shipped to him from Wilson.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing