Upcoming CES: Anything exciting or just another Yenta-fest for insiders and elites?

I am sorry, did I miss the thread where I learned something?

I wonder why they decided to buy that company. I haven't heard much about them in the past couple of years.

In the many years I have used there products three things have stood out. Superb sound, very reliable, excellent customer service. I think MD can help them with distribution.

BATs retail prices increased up to 20% accross the board. if you have your eye on a dealers current inventory or a used piece, id jump on it now before sellers wise up.

I hope the REX and REX2 sound much better than the VK-52SE I had.

I hope the REX and REX2 sound much better than the VK-52SE I had.

I can only tell you what I heard at CES and there, the BAT equipment didn't have that BAT "sound." Instead I found the BAT/Aerial/Avid very transparent with great resolution and instrumental texture, and little to none of the characteristic BAT "darkening." Reductionism aside, I just really enjoyed sitting down and listening to all the albums that I brought along!

I can only tell you what I heard at CES and there, the BAT equipment didn't have that BAT "sound." Instead I found the BAT/Aerial/Avid very transparent with great resolution and instrumental texture, and little to none of the characteristic BAT "darkening." Reductionism aside, I just really enjoyed sitting down and listening to all the albums that I brought along!

Good to hear!

BATs retail prices increased up to 20% accross the board. if you have your eye on a dealers current inventory or a used piece, id jump on it now before sellers wise up.

I think that is why they are having trouble. They used to be a great product at a respectable price. Now they charge 20k for a higher end stereo amp. The 75SE/51SE combined cost less than that.

Loved my BAT/Wilson combo back in the day. Really made music.

I think that is why they are having trouble. They used to be a great product at a respectable price. Now they charge 20k for a higher end stereo amp. The 75SE/51SE combined cost less than that.

Loved my BAT/Wilson combo back in the day. Really made music.

Wow, $40k for the REX monoblocks, I thought they were $30K. I need to tell my wife, she will think we got a great deal on ours. I think you can still get the 75se/150se amps cant you? BAT/Wilson has always been one of my favorite combos

BAT Literature: CES 2013

Balanced Audio Technology – CES 2013
New Model Introduction

Balanced Audio Technology is proud to introduce five exciting new models for 2013 at CES in Las Vegas. These new models begin with the introduction of our newest flagship REX II preamplifier and REX II power amplifier. The novel technology employed in our reference REX II components has also been incorporated into the new VK-33, VK-33SE and VK-53SE balanced tube preamplifiers. An overview of each new model is listed below:

REX II Preamplifier

The REX II preamplifier now features a transformer-coupled output stage. This Transformer-REX (code named T-REX internally) replaces BAT’s venerable Six-Pak of output capacitors with custom-designed amorphous core transformers, encapsulated into proprietary mu-metal shields. These new transformers significantly improve the REX II preamplifier’s ability to drive low impedance loads. The two-chassis REX II design with its robust eighteen tube architecture also features Balanced Audio Technology’s highest current Unistage gain block. This Unistage design does not rely on cathode followers or any global feedback in its purist approach to amplifying the incoming signal. The 6H30 SuperTube is employed in this elegantly simple Unistage design to provide maximum linearity and the lowest distortion possible.

This high-current Unistage control module is then innovatively coupled to one of the most massive, yet truly elegant and extraordinary power supplies ever built for a line stage preamplifier. The ten-tube Power Module supply gets its raw power from vacuum tube rectifiers. The DC voltages then undergo several steps of filtering, including the use of AC shunt regulators to minimize low-level power supply noise. Custom series II oil capacitors provide the final stage of filtering.

Result: The REX II preamplifier, now with its pure transformer coupled output stage, provides a level of transparency, dynamic scale, and textural insight that is simply beguiling. The power, finesse, and beauty of music is conveyed effortlessly.

REX II Power Amplifier

THE REX II power amplifier extends the benefits of vacuum-tube current sources to include both the first and second gain stages of the amplifier’s design. Moreover, the current source for the second gain stage in the REX II power amplifier can use either a 6922, 6H30, or 6H6 vacuum tube. This allows each user to final tune the Rex II power amplifier’s sound to best meet their individual needs.

Of course, the REX II power amplifier remains the same all-triode, zero feedback, fully symmetrical design that has earned Balanced Audio Technology its well-deserved reputation for engineering excellence. Meanwhile, the second-generation “fuseless” protection circuit eliminates the power supply rail fuses to provide both a more refined sonic performance as well as a very user-friendly experience.
The REX II power amplifier is the ultimate complement to our REX II preamplifier as it provides an extraordinarily palpable and realistic portrayal of the original musical event.

VK-53SE Preamplifier

The VK-53SE preamplifier incorporates the same transformer-coupled output stage as featured in the flagship REX II preamplifier. Just as with the REX II preamplifier, the low impedance drive capability of the VK-53SE preamplifier is greatly improved. This amorphous core output transformer replaces the Six-Pak output capacitors to provide a level of transparency, dynamics, and musical insight that forms the foundation for the REX II preamplifier. Indeed, the VK-53SE can be fully upgraded to the REX II preamplifier at any time. But make no mistake, the VK-53SE preamplifier is a stunning achievement in its own right!

VK-33SE Preamplifier

The VK-33SE preamplifier also incorporates a custom transformer-coupled output stage that is specific to this design. These transformers provide the same improvement in low impedance drive capability and rely upon the same shielding technology employed in our REX II reference design. The VK-33SE preamplifier, therefore, achieves the same improvements in transparency, dynamics and textural beauty as experienced by the REX II series preamplifier and can compete directly with many of our competitor’s reference designs.

VK-33 Preamplifier

The VK-33 preamplifier incorporates changes to its power supply formerly reserved for our special edition models. New power supply transformers provide a marked increase in dynamics and speed. Just as in the REX II preamplifier, VK-53SE and VK-33SE models, a beautiful new anodized aluminum top cover complements the aesthetic design of this outstanding new model.

Summary

Balanced Audio Technology continues to strive for excellence in every aspect of its business, from our emphasis on exceptional customer support, to innovation in product design, and most importantly, to the musical enjoyment provided by every component we manufacture. With these five new models, BAT provides demonstrable proof of that commitment to excellence; from the tasteful improvements to the new models aesthetic design to the outstanding improvements in audio performance - these engineering changes and their corresponding sonic benefits are some of the largest in the near two-decade history of our company. Balanced Audio Technology: All you need to do is listen.

318 N. Laflin St. Chicago, IL 60607 Tel: 302-999-8855 Fax: 302-999-8818

I am not a BAT fan, after I wasted money on the 52SE.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing