Upcoming CES: Anything exciting or just another Yenta-fest for insiders and elites?

thanks for the lines Myles, I must say I am not that familiar with BAT but now you raised my interest.

thanks for the lines Myles, I must say I am not that familiar with BAT but now you raised my interest.

Worth a listen as well as the Avid table! The Avid table has sounded great everywhere have heard it (both show and homes).

Myles,

Did you ever listen to SoundLabs other than in shows? ;) I can assure you that they are NOT surely dark, sluggish and boring sound if properly amplified! Anyway, thinking about you, a pair of the new transformers is arriving at my door .

Thanks for a great preliminary report!

Mostly shows but also in two homes. The latter, however, were earlier models.

Whatever, think you're in for a treat :)

Anybody hear the new Siltech amplifiers , heres a vid about them although its in dutch .
accupowered tube pre amp SN 120 db
The power amp is quite special they wanted to use accus as well in the poweramp but being practically impossible they designed something else .
From what i understood its a patent pending technology which used the wall power through filters to produce light .
This light is then shown on a solar cell which makes electricity which then powers the transistors , quite amazing .
I think they are beautifull amps too and they use quite different tubes as used in general in pre amp designs
1280 watts in 2 ohm and around 75.000 euro for the whole system incl vat

http://www.hifi.nl/artikel/19970/Video-CES-2013-Siltech-en-Crystal-Cable-opnieuw-showstoppers.html

If they were there, I missed them :( Not unusual as I passed Atkinson rushing, as I was on Friday, to cover a few rooms/corridors that had somehow missed.

You are welcome. (It was a combination of things) (one being a set/loom of cables that are the only type in the world to perform the trick of both fundamental forms of wave propagation)

Were these new Teo cables? I thought Brian used your cables last year too.

Phono section? Table? Hard to tell. But I did hear Friday PM that the table's designer had worked on the table Thursday night :) However doesn't take way from the digital that more than a few with whom I spoke we're impressed by.

Was the Vlad phono being demonstrated with that new high ticket turntable that Gary K was talking about? (I thought Gary said something about using Vlad's new phono stage... and if so, with that big ticket arm?) Perhaps I'm confused. ...

Really??? Maybe then you can educate us idiots what your question has to do with the OT? Don't need an IQ much above 80 to figure that out. Zippo. I was at CES and my post was on topic.

Feeling stressed? :(

True, nightlord's comment was ridiculously off-topic and I'm not sure how it could possibly relate to CES (which is obviously a hardware show), but still...

Was the Vlad phono being demonstrated with that new high ticket turntable that Gary K was talking about? (I thought Gary said something about using Vlad's new phono stage... and if so, with that big ticket arm?) Perhaps I'm confused. ...

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9057-2012-Awards&p=161614&viewfull=1#post161614

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9057-2012-Awards&p=161615&viewfull=1#post161615

The new LP1 Signature is shown in the second link

Kronos table, Graham Phantom arm and ZYX Universe 2 cartridge. Haven't heard the Universe but one thing the ZYXs don't lack is musical involvement.

Myles,

Did you get a chance to hear the new Rowland 925 amplifiers? I've seen photos of them in some of the show reports, but no direct mention.

They sounded like Rowlands eg. never the most open :) Can't remember the system, but thought the smaller 725s sounded better. Have to look thru my pics when get home. Which is going to be late since the Spirit(s) Airline hasn't risen yet and won't for at least another two hrs.

Just got back from CES, The phono in the Wilson- Lamm room was amazing! They later changed to Cd and it was still very good, but I give the nod to phono.
The big MBL room had a little trouble with the hghs but it still sounded pretty good too. I guess some tweaking was in order.

The Audionet room at THE show did everything right!

True, nightlord's comment was ridiculously off-topic and I'm not sure how it could possibly relate to CES (which is obviously a hardware show), but still...

'Nuff said....

Quick tease of best sounding rooms:

Balanced Audio Technology/Aerial 7T (the room to go if you wanted to hear music. Yes, there were systems that were more full range, more dynamic, etc. but none sounded more like music than the BAT room. Note: I would have liked to hear Michael Kelly's top of the line 20Ts driven by the BAT electronics!)

good to know BAT is still in the game, i always liked the BAT sound. do they have new owners? i heard music direct was a suitor.

My vk500's sounded fantastic on dynamic speakers specifically my stand monitors not so on ribbons or ESL , solid and beautifully built amps , still have the VK-3 pre ..

The 7T seems to be a well built speaker .....

Quick tease of best sounding rooms:

*snip*

Genesis Technologies/Viola Labs (Effortless was one word that came to mind. Loved that arm! Now let me hit the lotto.)

Thanks, Myles. To be in your list of seven best rooms is an honor.

It's about the Music too. ...And all the latest technologies.

'Nuff said....

I am reading this entire thread, like many other threads here at WBF, and we are now at the beginning of the year 2013....

The CES (2013) is a very interesting event, about many many things, and we all appreciate your sharings with us Mr. Astor.
...You have some informative posts for us here. ...Pictures would be nice too.

BTW, post #59 (yours), IMO should be deleted; no more no less, no arguments no hard feelings. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing