USB for ProUSB

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hello all,

I am wondering if those of you who have used the ProUSB input on MSB DACs have feedback on the relative importance of the usb cable that feeds the usb to ISL module. Has anyone compared various USB cables? Of course I am not speaking of printer cables but rather good usb vs the uber-expensive usb cables.

Thanks

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Funny I just asked this exact question to my dealer. His response was yes a good USB cable will make a big difference. His belief is you are sending better information to the ISL module which would give you better information out of the DAC. It makes sense but you really need to give it a try to see how much of a difference it really makes.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
No usb cable is the best usb...an A to B adapter...

IMG_6662.JPG

Reactions: gds7368

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
No usb cable is the best usb...an A to B adapter...

View attachment 82408
Interesting. How are you supporting the USB to ISL module coming out of the back of the DAC? I am pretty sure it is not going to just hang in free space.

Also, you have to wonder why MSB doesn't provide the adapter and a solution just to plug the unit into the back of the DAC.

Thanks,
Todd

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Its not out of the back of the dac, its into the server......
63951812174__1E4B76F6-C908-421D-BAB3-DCDB4B37D02D.JPG

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Nice. Thank you for the tip. I was concerned about the “wings” on the isl module but it looks loke it works great.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Can you tell any difference in the sound of the adapter vs. a USB cable?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
The only audiophile USB cable I tried was the FTA Callisto....I'm still using the adapter

I did try the UpTone Audio adapter also...prefer the generic one

As always YMMV

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Thanks for the update. I'm going to give this a try. Heck a $4.00 adapter vs. a $3K USB cable I'm considering will be fun.

jaxho

May 18, 2021
I have just tried a generic adapter, a Renkforce. Not fun at all, in my ears. It played for about two weeks, improved a little. Then i changed to Neotech Copper. A big improvement but not really that good, boomy bass and veiled upper end. Next up: Neotech silver- flat, cold and boring at first but after three (3)! weeks it got quite good. Very good buy for its pricepoint!
Today at my dealer we went trough Shunyata Delta-Alpha-Sigma and Omega. I would rank Delta (perhaps Alfa) and Neotech silver about equal soundwise.
I was able to borrow the Omega wich is playing now... :p :p :p

Gretings Jaxho

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've had the "new model" FTA SiNOPE USB for about a month between my Taiko Extreme server and MSB Pro USB interface (MSB Select II dac).

i really like it so far, seems a very good fit into the presentation and balance of my system. lively, open, textured, and great bass weight and impact.....refined and grainless. no, never tried the Callisto. i did ask about what were the differences between the new SiNOPE and the Callisto. here is what i was told.

"There are a number of differences between this cable and the Callisto. The materials and metallurgy (mixed) has changed from the all copper Callisto. The cables geometry, cotton insulation used and intensity of labor are all significantly higher on the SiNOPE. It takes about 3x more time to make one of these cables verses the Callisto (remember these are all hand made)."

i got it already with a few hours on it, but only a few (it was one of the first one's they received, and had just started demo'ing it). it was good right away but a bit edgy and bright (traveling cross country). around 30-40 hours it smoothed out and seemed to open up at about 100 hours.....and then has continued to open a bit more over time. very happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Must be fresh of the boat! I cant find anything else on the web about it. Exiting!

Gretings Jaxho
yes.....i've not seen anything yet myself about this cable (Final Touch Audio--FTA Sinope USB), and i've looked. but i continue to enjoy it.

1634476060743.png

Last edited:

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, Mike! We're beyond pleased you've found it as special as we have.

The SiNOPE is Final Touch Audio's brand new statement cable. It hasn't really been announced publicly yet and has only made it to the hands of a few industry insiders and friends.

It was our plan to debut it at the Florida Audio Expo in February, but it's too good to keep a lid in and we'll be using it in most of our systems at Capital AudioFest in a couple weeks.

We will also begin taking orders in North America for the SiNOPE starting next week.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
i've had the "new model" FTA SiNOPE USB for about a month between my Taiko Extreme server and MSB Pro USB interface (MSB Select II dac).

i really like it so far, seems a very good fit into the presentation and balance of my system. lively, open, textured, and great bass weight and impact.....refined and grainless. no, never tried the Callisto. i did ask about what were the differences between the new SiNOPE and the Callisto. here is what i was told.

"There are a number of differences between this cable and the Callisto. The materials and metallurgy (mixed) has changed from the all copper Callisto. The cables geometry, cotton insulation used and intensity of labor are all significantly higher on the SiNOPE. It takes about 3x more time to make one of these cables verses the Callisto (remember these are all hand made)."

i got it already with a few hours on it, but only a few (it was one of the first one's they received, and had just started demo'ing it). it was good right away but a bit edgy and bright (traveling cross country). around 30-40 hours it smoothed out and seemed to open up at about 100 hours.....and then has continued to open a bit more over time. very happy with it.
The SiNOPE has officially launched! This past weekend at Capital AudioFest 2021 we debuted our new statement USB cable connected in two separate systems featuring Taiko Extremes. I know many of you who using similar servers or DACs similar to Mike's would be well served to give one a listen.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The SiNOPE has officially launched! This past weekend at Capital AudioFest 2021 we debuted our new statement USB cable connected in two separate systems featuring Taiko Extremes. I know many of you who using similar servers or DACs similar to Mike's would be well served to give one a listen.
thanks Fred,

another month now with the FTA SiNOPE usb cable and it has continued to open up and there is now an added ease and flow.

very pleased and i would highly recommend this cable.

Reactions: LampiNA

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Where can I find some info on this cable? When will it be on your site?

Reactions: Armsan

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
The only audiophile USB cable I tried was the FTA Callisto....I'm still using the adapter

I did try the UpTone Audio adapter also...prefer the generic one

As always YMMV
Thanks for the tip but, tried it here and, preferred the cable, and I only have a CAD I. Maybe the cable plays a role in terms of isolating vibrations, among other advantages. Just a guess. Emile said he prefers 1,5 meters cables over shorter ones. I don’t know if he tested the adapter solution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing