Using Wally Tools

Thanks J.R, much appreciated reply.

Yes, I know. It is very difficult to isolate any of the parameters.
But my intention is to find a method that guides me in the right direction anyway.
I'm aware I still need to iterate among the parameters.

Hmm, I hear you and I see your point.

Two of the three tracks I show above are vertically modulated. Track A1-4 on STR112 is 1kHz square wave vertical, track B4 och UATLP is 1kHz sine vertical, and track A9 on UATLP is 60Hz+4kHz ratio 4:1 lateral.

I didn't know that. That's a big error.
I found quite big differences in the cuts between two copies of the UATLP also. Less than half of that, but that track was on a nullpoint (track A5).

Even if there are issues with cutting errors or with changing SRA with VTA or other things; what puzzles me is why none of my measurements show any differences in either time or frequency domain.

Really good to hear that!
I don't know how you manage to parse out specific parts from my message to reply to. All I know how to do is hit "Reply" button and your whole previous text comes up. Oh well, that is not the point of this reply.

To your point: "Even if there are issues with cutting errors or with changing SRA with VTA or other things; what puzzles me is why none of my measurements show any differences in either time or frequency domain."
I see plenty of differences between each trace, particularly the very top graph which is suggestive of what I would expect to see. However, your sampling rate seems to be very coarse. (I'm not the Fourier Transform expert on my team and he'd probably have far better response than that) We'd want to further know that each trace begins at the exact same moment in time on the test track right down to the microsecond level.

ASSUMING each of your traces are indeed REPEATABLE (a BIG question in and of itself) then I'd say there is plenty of evidence of difference between each graph. BUT, because so many parameters were changed at once, we cannot hope to extract a lesson from the data with respect to any one particular parameter.

I can't take much credit for the rigor of our own tests of the sort you are doing. We have an EE PhD leading that effort and he is knee-deep in our zenith error research right now.

Oh, and sorry that I assumed your test tracks were all horizontal. I forgot the CBS has vertical square wave tracks. Those are great to see the effect of lacquer springback. You could also use them to hypothetically calculate the effective modulation angle of the cutterhead if you have good optical metrology

I don't know how you manage to parse out specific parts from my message to reply to. All I know how to do is hit "Reply" button and your whole previous text comes up.
J.R.; when you hit reply to respond the text is 'smart'. if you place your pointer at any of the text of the quoted target message and hit enter, it will auto-magically provide a space for you to answer that phrase. then when you have answered that part, just move your pointer to the text where you want to insert another message and do it again. no limit to how many times.

you can first remove part of the reply if you don't want to comment on the whole message. and you can place links and pictures anywhere associated with the phrase you have inserted.

J.R.; when you hit reply to respond the text is 'smart'. if you place your pointer at any of the text of the quoted target message and hit enter, it will auto-magically
Ooohh!! I learned something! That was auto-magic!
provide a space for you to answer that phrase. then when you have answered that part, just move your pointer to the text where you want to insert another message and do it again. no limit to how many times.
Thank you, Mike! Enjoy your new WallyTools. I look forward to your thoughts - particularly of the WallySkater on your many arms

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing