Using Wally Tools

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I wonder how large a difference in the SRA needs to be before it is perceptible. Given the range of SRA of a cutter head is 3 degrees (91-94), a fixed SRA of 92 will be out by up to 2 degrees. If one uses a tonearm with an Leff of 300mm, a 1 degree change is 5.5mm in height, which is orders of magnitude greater than the difference in thickness between a 120g and a 200g LP. If it is true that one can hear the difference between LPs of different thickness, we are then talking about a difference of a fraction of a degree. In that case, the variability of the SRA of cutter heads used to cut different LPs will make the whole exercise moot.

And yet small changes can be audible.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
And yet small changes can be audible.
In that case, whether you set the SRA of your stylus anywhere between 91 and 94 degrees will make no difference, because the error while playing any LP is random.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
In that case, whether you set the SRA of your stylus anywhere between 91 and 94 degrees will make no difference, because the error while playing any LP is random.
Wally Tools talk about SRA in some detail (amongst many other topics on setting up a cartridge) in their online 'WallySchool';

Reading through the Wally Tools information, even though SRA is an important parameter, the parameter that seems to have more importance of being correct in order to get the most information out of the grooves and a parameter that many people don't know of or realise is the stylus's 'Zenith'. Wally Tools / J.R. go into great detail about Zenith and the 'Zenith Error' in particular the wide range of errors from some cartridge manufacturers even very expensive ones !

This is the one parameter i.e. 'Zenith Error' for my cartridge I haven't properly checked yet, as I am still awaiting (been waiting over 3 months now) for the UK Distributer for AnalogMagik send me the V2 upgrade for my V1. Once I have V2 I can check my Zenith / Zenith Error (along with the other parameters at the same time and any error I find, I can correct it using the 'WallyZenith' Tool to re-set my cartridge to offset any Zenith Error I may have.

However, what I am waiting for is for Wally Tools to complete the development, build and bring to the market a tool that can read the cartridges Zenith Error directly / semi directly and more accurately. Hopefully it will be available to purchase by end of this year.

Reactions: tima

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I 3D printed a support tower for my WallyScope, "molded" around my stands and gear, so that I could do the work direct at the turntable. Prior to this I had to move the table to another surface, but I didn't like the disruption that caused. The support tower also starts the scope in close to the correct distance/orientation, making setup much quicker.
IMG_2704.jpg

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I 3D printed a support tower for my WallyScope, "molded" around my stands and gear, so that I could do the work direct at the turntable. Prior to this I had to move the table to another surface, but I didn't like the disruption that caused. The support tower also starts the scope in close to the correct distance/orientation, making setup much quicker.
View attachment 114407
Nice custom stand 'rDin'. A+

Doesn't your Wally Scope move around on your stand when you are making fine focusing adjustments with the Wally Scope's fine adjustments ?

I have had to 'G' Clamp my Wally Scope (I have the latest V2 Wally Scope) to my scissor lift stand and also 'G' Clamp my scissor stand to my extended shelf so I have a rock solid non moveable base (particularly as the Wally Scope is very sensitive to movement and vibration in order to obtain and then keep a good focus on the stylus !).

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Doesn't your Wally Scope move around on your stand when you are making fine focusing adjustments with the Wally Scope's fine adjustments ?
Almost none. All solid and secure. Initial models were wobbly etc but I found ways to remove the movement. The top plate, for instance, tightly grips the WallyScope's bottom plate so there is no movement. I also picked up some longer shaft turning keys (7/64" hex driver) which enable me to work further away from the scope when making adjustments. That also helps as I'm no longer bumping it with my fingers. So now there may be a slight moment of blurring when adjustments are made but they instantly settle once I remove my pressure, eg from the turning keys.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Almost none. All solid and secure. Initial models were wobbly etc but I found ways to remove the movement. The top plate, for instance, tightly grips the WallyScope's bottom plate so there is no movement. I also picked up some longer shaft turning keys (7/64" hex driver) which enable me to work further away from the scope when making adjustments. That also helps as I'm no longer bumping it with my fingers. So now there may be a slight moment of blurring when adjustments are made but they instantly settle once I remove my pressure, eg from the turning keys.
A+
Are you using any other Wally Tools 'rDin' ?

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Yes. All the available ones, backed up with AnalogMagik to fill the current gaps.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Reading through the Wally Tools information, even though SRA is an important parameter, the parameter that seems to have more importance of being correct in order to get the most information out of the grooves and a parameter that many people don't know of or realise is the stylus's 'Zenith'. Wally Tools / J.R. go into great detail about Zenith and the 'Zenith Error' in particular the wide range of errors from some cartridge manufacturers even very expensive ones !

Speaking of 'zenith error' is it meant the deviation of the stylus mount on the cantilever from 90 degrees to a line perpendicular to the groove ?

I'm somewhat fumbling for the correct way to describe this. Audio terminology is its own thing. The use of 'zenith' in this way is not intuitive to me. The stylus is a 3-dimensional object in space. I remember hearing descriptions of space capsules as they orbited the earth.

If the airplane is a stylus, I understand Pitch as SRA, Roll as Azimuth and Yaw as Zenith. Does that match your understanding.

Ptch Roll Yaw Small.jpg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
View attachment 114407

Very nice photograph!

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I'm a little surprised there is not a WallyScopePlatform.
Every system is different, so would be difficult to come up with a universal solution? The WallyScope itself has quite a bit of adjustment range.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
If the airplane is a stylus,
I guess “airplane is a cantilever” helps more to understand. The airplane drawing resembles cantilever for me.

Last edited:

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
If the airplane is a stylus, I understand Pitch as SRA, Roll as Azimuth and Yaw as Zenith. Does that match your understanding
That's how I see it, assuming the stylus is at the centre of the aeroplane in that graphic at the intersection of the three parameters.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I'm a little surprised there is not a WallyScopePlatform. (and a giant turtle to sit it on.)
Wally Tools suggest a clamp on extendable / foldable shelf available from Amazon (as per one of their more recent YouTube videos).

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I guess “airplane is a cantilever” helps more to understand. The airplane drawing resembles cantilever for me.
If you read one of the Wally Tools papers on 'zenith error' they show an excellent highly magnified image of a stylus skewed to one side which gives the zenith error.

Apparently according to Wally Tools it is quite common in cartridges from lower priced ones up to the highest price ones as many cartridge builders don't have such a powerful (and very expensive microscope) to be able to see it and then alter it !

Reactions: mtemur

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
If you read one of the Wally Tools papers on 'zenith error' they show an excellent highly magnified image of a stylus skewed to one side which gives the zenith error.

Apparently according to Wally Tools it is quite common in cartridges from lower priced ones up to the highest price ones as many cartridge builders don't have such a powerful (and very expensive microscope) to be able to see it and then alter it !
Sorry forgot to mention;
It is not the cantilever that is skewed but the stylus itself on the position and the way it is mounted onto the cantilever.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Sorry forgot to mention;
It is not the cantilever that is skewed but the stylus itself on the position and the way it is mounted onto the cantilever.
Link to the excellent Wally Tools paper / write-up on 'zenith error' ;

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
But powerful and expensive microscope doesn’t fix it either. AM software fixes it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing