Vangelis RIP

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I still find that hard to believe, I was genuinely shocked to hear the news that day. Reminiscing his music, I play the Blade Runner soundtrack quite often. I'd love to know some of your favorites.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
I played a cassette of "Friends of Mr. Cairo" to death. SONY Discman and goofy little headphones from back then.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
What gear does Vangelis get the most playtime on in your case?
In my case it is from CD’s. When I play him, it’s mostly on my SONY SCD-1, CD/SACD player. Got quite a few CD’s from Vangelis… love him, and was very sad when he passed away… So many mamories to his music :) .

/ Jk

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...my reference to my Discman days was when that music was new in the 80s. If I wanted some Vangelis now, I would have to stream it. I poke at the Bladerunner music now and again. That would be via Taiko Extreme from Qobuz.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
In my case it is from CD’s. When I play him, it’s mostly on my SONY SCD-1, CD/SACD player. Got quite a few CD’s from Vangelis… love him, and was very sad when he passed away… So many mamories to his music :) .

/ Jk
Have you got the Blade Runner soundtrack? :) It's my all-time favorite when it comes to movie music.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
...my reference to my Discman days was when that music was new in the 80s. If I wanted some Vangelis now, I would have to stream it. I poke at the Bladerunner music now and again. That would be via Taiko Extreme from Qobuz.
My Discman days are still ongoing - I have picked up a vintage used one for like 10 dollars. Works like a charm, the HE1000SE doesn't sound too bad off of it to be quite frank.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Have you got the Blade Runner soundtrack? :) It's my all-time favorite when it comes to movie music.
Hi AMR,

No not the actual soundtrack, but I got Themes, which some of the songs from Bladetunner is on. Then I have:

Alexander
Antartica
China
1492 - Conquest Of Paradise
El Greco
Oceanic
Rosetta
The City
Voices

/ Jk

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi AMR,

No not the actual soundtrack, but I got Themes, which some of the songs from Bladetunner is on. Then I have:

Alexander
Antartica
China
1492 - Conquest Of Paradise
El Greco
Oceanic
Rosetta
The City
Voices

/ Jk
That's quite the collection you have... I can imagine it's hard not to spend any less than a few hours every time the listening session commences... Am I right? :D

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
That's quite the collection you have... I can imagine it's hard not to spend any less than a few hours every time the listening session commences... Am I right? :D
Japp - you sure is! When choosing a Vangelis CD, it’s almost certain it is going to remain there for a while on repeat, haha.
When I play electronic music like Vangelis or Jean-Michael Jarre or psychadelic trancemusic and such, I like to project it into my 7.4 surround system… Then you really get the feeling of being in the middle of a stadion concert… very very big and tight, fast sound with things happen all over the place around you… It’s crazy - I tell you?, and I love it !!
With over 17.000w in the subwoofer system I have a great headroom coverage even in the deepest tunes, regardless the volyme :p .

All the best

/ Jk

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Japp - you sure is! When choosing a Vangelis CD, it’s almost certain it is going to remain there for a while on repeat, haha.
When I play electronic music like Vangelis or Jean-Michael Jarre or psychadelic trancemusic and such, I like to project it into my 7.4 surround system… Then you really get the feeling of being in the middle of a stadion concert… very very big and tight, fast sound with things happen all over the place around you… It’s crazy - I tell you?, and I love it !!
With over 17.000w in the subwoofer system I have a great headroom coverage even in the deepest tunes, regardless the volyme :p .

All the best

/ Jk
Nice! 17kW should indeed provide some good headroom, whether you want to crank the volume up, or tear the walls down... :D I enjoy Jean-Michel Jarre myself, that's a great choice. Have you tried shifting your electronic music attention more to the east, trying out the Yellow Magic Orchestra for example? I love their energetic, creative, and playful tunes, and they sound great live as well.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Nice! 17kW should indeed provide some good headroom, whether you want to crank the volume up, or tear the walls down... :D I enjoy Jean-Michel Jarre myself, that's a great choice. Have you tried shifting your electronic music attention more to the east, trying out the Yellow Magic ;) Orchestra for example? I love their energetic, creative, and playful tunes, and they sound great live as well.
No not yet, but I definitely will now?;). Thank you for the tip!

/ Jk

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hi AMR,
I have listen a little bit to YMO from yesterday and a little bit today to… I am sorry to say that is not really the music I would choose at first hand, but I love all kinds of music and I love to listen to new music that I havn’t heard before, so I thank you very much for the introduction to YMO - Thank you :) .

/ Jk

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
If you have Spotify…

Here is the link to my progressive trance list.
It’s not for everyone either, but this is what’s get me going a 1000%! Enjoy.

/ Jk

Reactions: Skanda

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Antarctica was a TAS Super Disc back in the day. I also have Chariots of Fire Soundtrack on tape (15ips 2 track). Larry

• Love

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
If you have Spotify…

Here is the link to my progressive trance list.
It’s not for everyone either, but this is what’s get me going a 1000%! Enjoy.

/ Jk

I'm very glad you've given YMO a try! The Trancelist is surely up next on my listening session, I will let you know how it goes :) Do you update it often?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing