Vera-Fi Audio VBH-1 (Vibration Black Hole)

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I figured I'd try these new footers out. They are a good deal at 4 for $200. They have several levels of vibration absorption and tuning.

They are difficult to place under heavy equipment, as the small cones will not stay in the upright direction until you get it just right. The brass point on the cone is VERY sharp, you can definitely draw blood with it. It will scratch the top plate of the footer as you try to get them upright. But once setup they feel very solid.

The footers have a bit of give if you put pressure under them, you can tell they are doing their job.

Sound quality is very good, with a top to bottom reduction of noise, very tight and tuneful bass, bass is turned up just a click (which is a good thing IMHO). Highs very clean and transparent, extended. Just a tiny touch of a metallic note on the top end, and I do mean tiny. I ended up with some small Ayre Myrtlewood blocks next to my preamp with the cones beneath, which is how I tend to like most footers. I like what the right wood does under components, reducing the 'electronicness' of the sound a bit. The Myrtlewood blocks opened up the midrange and treble, adding air and expanding soundstage, and wiping that metallic note away.

I was replacing some EVS Footers that had Gabon Ebony on top of them. They EVS are double the cost, and worth their price. Compared to the VBH-1 they sound just a bit muffled in the midrange, and lack a bit of the shimmer of the highs. Otherwise, they are very similar in sound.

So for $200, they are an excellent footer choice. Frankly, I think you'd have to spend about 3x or more to get a significant increase in performance.

VBH-1 (Vibration Black Hole)

VBH-1.jpg

Reactions: GroovySauce

Republicoftexas69

This is rather odd that Mark and his team did not think this out application wise. Was going to give these a spin but I will just order more of the Stack EQ isolators.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I figured I'd try these new footers out. They are a good deal at 4 for $200. They have several levels of vibration absorption and tuning.

They are difficult to place under heavy equipment, as the small cones will not stay in the upright direction until you get it just right. The brass point on the cone is VERY sharp, you can definitely draw blood with it. It will scratch the top plate of the footer as you try to get them upright. But once setup they feel very solid.

The footers have a bit of give if you put pressure under them, you can tell they are doing their job.

Sound quality is very good, with a top to bottom reduction of noise, very tight and tuneful bass, bass is turned up just a click (which is a good thing IMHO). Highs very clean and transparent, extended. Just a tiny touch of a metallic note on the top end, and I do mean tiny. I ended up with some small Ayre Myrtlewood blocks next to my preamp with the cones beneath, which is how I tend to like most footers. I like what the right wood does under components, reducing the 'electronicness' of the sound a bit. The Myrtlewood blocks opened up the midrange and treble, adding air and expanding soundstage, and wiping that metallic note away.

I was replacing some EVS Footers that had Gabon Ebony on top of them. They EVS are double the cost, and worth their price. Compared to the VBH-1 they sound just a bit muffled in the midrange, and lack a bit of the shimmer of the highs. Otherwise, they are very similar in sound.

So for $200, they are an excellent footer choice. Frankly, I think you'd have to spend about 3x or more to get a significant increase in performance.

VBH-1 (Vibration Black Hole)

View attachment 125919
The obvious improvement to make which would obviate the need for the piece of wood, would be to replace the aluminum cones (which are $20 for a set of eight at ebay) with a set made of ebony/mpingo,(also available at ebay). Both would transfer resonance (although I'm not sure to what extent the base has the capability to dissipate it as opposed to just being a decoupler), but only the wood cone can tune a component's resonant signature in a way that is sympathetic to music. For stability's sake you could attach the cones to the component bottom with double-sided tape or a very thin layer of silicone cement.

Last edited:

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
he aluminum cones (which are $20 for a set of eight at ebay)
ah yes, I found some. This is typical of Vera-Fi/Underwood Wally to repackage Chinese made products (at least partially).

You shared those nice Yamamoto ebony feet on that other thread I started, I may try some of those here eventually.

johnh

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
ah yes, I found some. This is typical of Vera-Fi/Underwood Wally to repackage Chinese made products (at least partially).

You shared those nice Yamamoto ebony feet on that other thread I started, I may try some of those here eventually.

johnh
Not sure if the spike portion on the Yamamoto cones is long enough - worth a try. The ebony/mpingo cones on ebay are typically well made and inexpensive, and sound similar to the Yamamoto.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing