Vibration Management

I disagree. The top plate is never compressed, deformed or stressed the way a leaf (or any) spring would be in the device's operation. It simply moves with the pendulum motion of the suspended wire. Having taken apart the Wellfloat Delta footers this is clear. And whether or not the semantics of things is that a wire is theoretically a spring, these pendulum motion suspended wire devices work differently from the damped coil spring devices that you provided photos of in your system, and as I've said are to my ears audibly superior.
Very cool design. Based on drawing there are multiple degrees of freedom. In the x and y-axis, the wire and the foam are the spring in the spring mass system. In the z-axis, it’s the foam assuming the brass plate is rigid. But at higher frequencies that brass plate will have resonance and harmonics, so technically that will act as a spring at its resonant frequency and beyond.

Not that any of that explains why it sounds good, ha!

And since we’re throwing around positions of authority, yes in my past life I did vibration management engineering for commercial products (not audio related though) :D

Very cool design. Based on drawing there are multiple degrees of freedom. In the x and y-axis, the wire and the foam are the spring in the spring mass system. In the z-axis, it’s the foam assuming the brass plate is rigid. But at higher frequencies that brass plate will have resonance and harmonics, so technically that will act as a spring at its resonant frequency and beyond.

And since we’re throwing around positions of authority, yes in my past life I did vibration management engineering for commercial products (not audio related though) :D

Authority? No-just critical listening experience.

Don't care why it sounds good - only that it does. And of course unlike posters who theorize and speculate about them, I actually use pendulum based isolation devices and have done head to head comparative listening tests against spring based and other designs.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing