Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
And if you give that same degree of benefit of doubt to Tang’s system, because of the iPhone recording corruption , as you should to be fair, then the actual delta may still be relatively the same.

Only assuming that the relative corruption of sound is the same in Tang's and Ron's video. I have no data to make that assumption. Too many potential variables involved.

Yes, phone proponents claim that iPhone video = iPhone video. I very much doubt that. To mention two of the things that, I think, Francisco (Microstrip) brought up:

1. In which position the phone is held
2. Volume at recording can influence recording quality, because the limiters of phones react differently.

(That is also one of the reasons why some have complained about different volume levels in your videos.)

Furthermore, I don't buy for a minute Bonzo's claim that there are negligible differences between different iPhone types. There certainly are vast differences between iPhone and Samsung. Tang once posted two videos comparing the phones with the same music on his system. It sounded like two very different systems.

Reactions: MPS

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Let readers decide

Yeah, decide on a twisting of words. Great job. man.

If video proponents have to resort to such tactics, it shows how truly desperate they really are.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah, decide on a twisting of words. Great job. man.

If video proponents have to resort to such tactics, it shows how truly desperate they really are.

desperate to get you off the thread. nothing has worked including your own promises

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To mention two of the things that, I think, Francisco (Microstrip) brought up:

Birds of a feather flock the thread together

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
desperate to get you off the thread. nothing has worked including your own promises

What promises? I promised to Tang that I would not comment anymore on videos.

Newsflash: Tang is not a participant on WBF anymore.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
while i am open to videos for a number of reasons, one of them partly to respect the community, i don't share the idea that it will change the dynamics of how we judge systems or speaker systems. but maybe some groups will choose see it that way. it's more a sharing thing, than a proof thing.

it should be no more 'proof' of anything than claims of measurements might be. or speaker or amp dogma. video's can be data points. judged by each individual as they decide to. more useful to some than others. along the current lines of thinking.

i don't want videos offered as proof, or demanded for proof. my 2 cents. i will avoid any of that thinking.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What promises? I promised to Tang that I would not comment anymore on videos.

Newsflash: Tang is not a participant on WBF anymore.

you promised that on a public thread. While the reply was to tang it was to everyone. You are a liar

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
you promised that on a public thread. While the reply was to tang it was to everyone. You are a liar

No, it was a promise to Tang. Who is the liar now?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Again you are misinterpreting my stance. It's the same as ever.

See my post #1494.

To quote myself from there:

The basic idea of "sharing" for fun or information is fine. Yet if I have the choice between sharing a vastly degraded replica of the sound of a system, which is a subversion of the very idea of the High End, and sharing nothing, I choose to share nothing.

And so do many other posters on WBF, including a number of prominent ones. I am by far not the only one who makes that rational choice.

I could have said that 5 years ago.

Al, I’m not disputing your very carefully crafted and guarded expression of the value you place on videos. I do remember when you and Ron were two of the most vocal against videos. That seems to be changing.

I am pointing out that at one point you said you would not comment on videos and now you are. This approach has changed for you. You are actively engaged in a thread about a topic that you had no interest in before. It’s fine to change your mind and evolve. I have no expectations that you will ever record your system and share those recordings publicly. I respect that decision as it is solely your prerogative.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Pic 0 Al.png

Pic 1 Al.png

"Anyone else"

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyway now whenever Al replies to a video thread I will post the reply on his system thread

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Only assuming that the relative corruption of sound is the same in Tang's and Ron's video. I have no data to make that assumption. Too many potential variables involved.

Yes, phone proponents claim that iPhone video = iPhone video. I very much doubt that. To mention two of the things that, I think, Francisco (Microstrip) brought up:

1. In which position the phone is held
2. Volume at recording can influence recording quality, because the limiters of phones react differently.

(That is also one of the reasons why some have complained about different volume levels in your videos.)

Furthermore, I don't buy for a minute Bonzo's claim that there are negligible differences between different iPhone types. There certainly are vast differences between iPhone and Samsung. Tang once posted two videos comparing the phones with the same music on his system. It sounded like two very different systems.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I’m just saying since you don’t know about the variables in either system, why would you give more benefit of the doubt to one of them and not the other? On what basis do you give more benefit of the doubt to Ron’s video than the one David made of Tang’s speakers. Hasn’t Ron claimed that his videos are representative of the sound he hears from his listening seat? He has stated that and so I take him at his word. And I don’t think that David would’ve made his video and shared it if he also did not think it represents the sound of those speakers.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hasn’t Ron claimed that his videos are representative of the sound he hears from his listening seat? He has stated that

This is a disingenuous misrepresentation of what I have posted on this subject. Please excerpt where I stated that.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
On what basis do you give more benefit of the doubt to Ron’s video than the one David made of Tang’s speakers.

One possible basis is if the cheap ADC in the recording iPhone and DAC in the playback iPhone or computer tends to corrupt higher frequencies in a more sonically subjectively damaging way than it corrupts lower frequencies. To the extent that my system may have a more extended perceived treble frequency response than the Tang system, conversion to cheap digital and back could be more sonically detrimental to the sound I hear in my room versus the sound David heard in his room from Tang's speakers.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Peter's video was far more realistic than yours tho....
Interesting how we can hear this so differently. To me Steno's sounds like his system is giving an uncolored representation of a well produced studio recording. Peter's sounds like a great, lively system that is getting played twice with a strong room signature.

Unsolicited advice: If I were Peter I would get some professional impulse response measurements and then some well thought out minimal room treatments to get the most out of this obviously great system. Caveat: opinion based solely on video playback via headphones!

Reactions: hopkins

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Interesting how we can hear this so differently. To me Steno's sounds like his system is giving an uncolored representation of a well produced studio recording. Peter's sounds like a great, lively system that is getting played twice with a strong room signature.

Unsolicited advice: If I were Peter I would get some professional impulse response measurements and then some well thought out minimal room treatments to get the most out of this obviously great system. Caveat: opinion based solely on video playback via headphones!
Imagine if we all heard the same thing, it would be totally boring.
It's the same in every forum in the world, a nice thread gets buried. It was nice to listen to other systems from afar. In the end, people always argue about little things and nobody posts anything nice anymore. pity

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is a disingenuous misrepresentation of what I have posted on this subject. Please excerpt where I stated that.

Ron, It took me a while to find, but here is one example where you state that the video is "pretty representative" of your in room system sound, in terms of tone. (Bonzo and Al both like the post too. ) You should still have the Carole King video in your Venmo. Link to your own words: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/ron’s-new-system.35810/page-85

"This iPhone mic recording sounds pretty representative
tonally of what I hear in the room.

Carole King "Will You Still Love Me Tomorow""

Reactions:
bonzo75 and Al M.

And here is another: "The resolution is representative of what I hear in the room. " Post #1224 this thread.

And another: Music Nuda "Eleanor Rigby"

Shure MV88+ on tripod, mic EQ (as illustrated above) for tonal balance representativeness", Post 1233 this thread.

Ron, it seems to me, there are many examples of you stating that specific aspects of your videos, tone, tonal balance, resolution, are captured fairly well by your videos. The impression I have from your posts is that your videos are a fair representation of the sound you hear from your system.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing