Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I heard the wood, if you go back to read my post, I said “not much wood”. Don’t try to playback the video. Use the Qobuz track. I will be using the Tidal track for my system video.

Good, then this a great test track.
Maybe but it's possible the youtube video has better sound than the Tidal/Qobuz version. This is the track I believe:
Screenshot_2023_0904_212223.jpg

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I like the sound of magnetic tape. It is very euphoric and makes recordings sound better. Part of my Remastering process actually includes tape emulation. The part that those that advocate magnetic tape and vinyl playback over digital need to come to terms with are the distortions associated with both magnetic tape and vinyl playback.

For those praising the virtues of master tapes, the following paper from Stanford University in the link below is a good read.

Magnetic Recording: Analog Tape

These artifacts of magnetic tape recording & playback are of course “naturally” embedded or baked into vinyl and its sound.

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Yes it's quite obvious to any music/Coltrane lover.
Btw I think the Cessaro one is quite good but held back by the iphone recorder.

This video to me sounds the best:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Reactions: treitz3

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe but it's possible the youtube video has better sound than the Tidal/Qobuz version. This is the track I believe:
That looks like the right version. Note that the commercial release may very well have been recorded at a different time and location. But that's not likely to matter very much.

I heard Hilary Hahn last May at Orchestra Hall in Chicago doing the Sarasate Carmen Fantasy. Very nice!

I was going to suggest to Carlos269 that he "remaster" this track and post it for all to compare. I see that may already be in progress. I look forward to the comparison.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Are you saying that this sounds better than your system without your "remastering" process? Or are you implying that your mastering process improves on original versions ?

My remastering process is to change the sound and musical presentation of the “system” and therefore it is meant to improve the overall sound of the system. This is done real-time with source files streamed from Tidal. I can bypass the Remastering process to do quick A/B comparisons with the Remastering process engaged and disengaged.

That looks like the right version. Note that the commercial release may very well have been recorded at a different time and location. But that's not likely to matter very much.

I heard Hilary Hahn last May at Orchestra Hall in Chicago doing the Sarasate Carmen Fantasy. Very nice!

I was going to suggest to Carlos269 that he "remaster" this track and post it for all to compare. I see that may already be in progress. I look forward to the comparison.

Yes, I’m playing on recordings a video of the Hilary Hahn track played back through my WAAR system with the Remastering process, with the Carlos269 Edition settings, and will post the video here on this thread for all to hear and provide comments.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Here is the same version on Qobuz for those interested to listen on their system or record it:

Listening to this now. Very nice recording. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
My remastering process is to change the sound and musical presentation of the “system” and therefore it is meant to improve the overall sound of the system. This is done real-time with source files streamed from Tidal. I can bypass the Remastering process to do quick A/B comparisons with the Remastering process engaged and disengaged.

Yes, I understand the process. But I was curious whether you have also listened to this song on another system - possibly headphones? Honestly, I find the end result unpleasant, as the instruments have lost all their texture and definition. It simply sounds weird to me. Maybe that is not how it sounds in your room, but that is what I hear in your recording.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Yes, I understand the process. But I was curious whether you have also listened to this song on another system - possibly headphones? Honestly, I find the end result unpleasant, as the instruments have lost all their texture and definition. It simply sounds weird to me. Maybe that is not how it sounds in your room, but that is what I hear in your recording.

Hopkins, I have 40 working systems here at home and during my listening session, like the one last Friday where I listened for 7 hours straight, I listen to songs from my youth that I have been listening for over 35 years. I benchmark my settings with my reference tracks that I listen to thousands of times on high-end systems that I own, on systems that others own, at retail audio stores, and at audio shows. I have traveled all over the world and have listen to these same tracks on all continents in the world. I know what to expect from these tracks and I can tell you that the Remastering process with Carlos269 Edition settings is the most enjoyable and resolving that I have heard this music sound.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Hopkins, I have 40 working systems here at home and during my listening session, like the one last Friday where I listened for 7 hours straight, I listen to songs from my youth that I have been listening for over 35 years. I benchmark my settings with my reference tracks that I listen to thousands of times on high-end systems that I own, on systems that others own, at retail audio stores, and at audio shows. I have traveled all over the world and have listen to these same tracks on all continents in the world. I know what to expect from these tracks and I can tell you that the Remastering process with Carlos269 Edition settings is the most enjoyable and resolving that I have heard this music sound.

Yes, I understand you have a very high opinion of yourself, but regardless, you managed to butcher this song!

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Yes, I understand you have a very high opinion of yourself, but regardless, you managed to butcher this song!

That’s your opinion and you don’t even bother to state which song. I don’t know why you choose to pick these fights with me.

If you are a believer like Wavetouch that recordings are meant to sound like the original mastering engineer intended them too then I can’t help you. That mastering engineer was a human, with probably less tools than I have. I’m a firm believer in progress, improvement and progression.

I have developed a system that allows me to listen to my music in a way that now I enjoy more. What is problem with that?

The real power is in the fact this same system Remastering process can allow you, and others, to also enjoy your music more, in the way “you” would wish hear.

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
That’s your opinion and you don’t even bother to state which song. I don’t know why you choose to pick these fights with me.

If you are a believer like Wavetouch that recordings are meant to sound like the original mastering engineer intended them too then I can’t help you. That mastering engineer was a human, with probably less tools than I have. I’m a firm believer in progress, improvement and progression.

I have developed a system that allows me to listen to my music Iin a way that now I enjoy more. What is when with that?

The real power is in the fact this same system Remastering process can allow you, and others, to also enjoy your music more in the way “you” would wish hear.

Spare me the drama. I am happy for you that you enjoy it, I am just giving you my honest opinion about the results. The song referred to, included in the quote, is Coltrane.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Spare me the drama. I am happy for you that you enjoy it, I am just giving you my honest opinion about the results. The song referred to, included in the quote, is Coltrane.

It has never sounded better to me. Perhaps with “Hopkins Edition” settings it would sound great to you. The settings are very system and owner specific as they are meant to produce the result that are ideal to the system’s owner.

You and your system are a sitting duck, moored and tethered to the past.

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
You and your system are a sitting duck, moored and tethered to the past.

Personal attacks notwithstanding, I'll simply reiterate that I find the sound on that video to be pretty atrocious :) I am curious what others think about it.

Last edited:

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
Personal attacks notwithstanding, I'll simply reiterate that I find the sound on that video to be pretty atrocious :) I am curious what others think about it.
I commented to your video sound in post # 2467 as below
"All your videos sound (mid-range) very recessed (far far away) and dry without musical nuances to my ears."

Simply, your videos sound lifeless.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I commented to your video sound in post # 2467 as below
"All your videos sound (mid-range) very recessed (far far away) and dry without musical nuances to my ears."

Simply, your videos sound lifeless.

Yes. The sax solo starting at :37 sounds like a kazoo.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Yes. The sax solo starting at :37 sounds like a kazoo.

The beauty of my “system” Remastering process is that you can dial it in to your liking. Again, you don’t have to like my sound preferences. The system can be adjusted to your preferences. Luckily I also recorded the Coltrane track with the “Wood Edition” settings:

Try to pull of that trick with your system.

And lucky for all of us Wavetouch is no longer submitting his rebuttals with his own system videos

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
The beauty of my “system” Remastering process is that you can dial it in to your liking.

This second version unfortunately does not fix the issues which we highlighted - which I think you fail to understand. This could go on for some time, and the blood bath (your butchering of that track) would simply continue. I am assuming it is the layers of hardware components that you use that just kill the sound. But once again, I am glad that you like what you have done, which is still an impressive (technical) effort - just accept that it is not everyone's cup of tea (at least in the way it is heard through the videos).

A little more humility would serve you well.

It would be a pitty to end the day with the sound of your video, so I've cued up the track to Lee Morgan's solo so anyone can appreciate the sound - who cares what remastering this album version is?

Following Lee Morgan on trumpet is Curtis Fuller on trombone. You can appreciate here the specific sound of each player on these instruments and the subtlety of their craft... Some systems will convey this well, and give a sense of "presence" that can be mind boggling. It is hard to achieve but worth the effort.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing