Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!

I wanted to let you all know about a new all analog project I am involved in: a quartet record with jazz legend Kenny Barron, Joe Martin and Johnathan Blake.

This new album is a mix of compositions of mine and standards. There are some duets between Kenny Barron and I, and some quartet tracks. The album was recorded to multitrack tape by Ryan Streber at Oktaven Audio, and mixed at Brooklyn Recording by Pete Rende on a custom all tube 1/2 inch Ampex 351 tape machine. Both tape machines were at 30 ips. The Ampex was converted to 1/2 inch 15/30 ips operation with the help of some of the best technicians in the US (Dave Dintenfass, John Chester, John French), has new heads from Flux, and sounds stunning, in my opinion. Members of this board were very helpful in the process, in the Ampex 351 thread and the Ampex electronics for best sound thread, which is a fascinating trove of information for anyone interested, and I am grateful for the knowledge I got on this board. The process of converting the Ampex lasted over two years. Bernie Grundman will do the mastering and cut the record, all analog.

I am currently fundraising to help finance the mastering and pressing and recoup some of the recording costs. The Kickstarter page is here, in case anyone is interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...l-analog-vinyl

There are many rewards, starting with the vinyl itself, in regular or limited, numbered edition, but also including test pressings, R2R tapes, as well as high resolution downloads and CDs. The R2R tapes are sold out on the Kickstarter but if anyone on this board is interested, I will make it happen for you.

I really went all out to make this record sound great. I am very pleased with the results, musically as well as sonically, and I hope you will consider supporting this project. The Kickstarter is technically funded, which ensures the project will go forward. However, my actual budget is a lot higher than what I asked for, and that doesn't even count the cost of the Ampex, so I would very much welcome some support if you are into it.

I am happy to send a couple of songs at 192/24 to anyone here who wants to check out the music and the sound. Just let me know.

Here is a video from the mix session, in case you are curious:

The Ampex is portable! That was a factor in choosing it, as we can take it to a studio or a space to record if we want to.

I am happy to answer any and all questions. Thank you for your support!

Jerome Sabbagh

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats...sounds exciting. Will check it out and any audio clips here would probably be heard over and over again towards promoting your album. Meanwhile, will CDs also be available? Looks like it but did not see it on the kickstarter site.

Reactions: Jerome Sabbagh

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
@LL21 : Thank you! CDs will also be available. Look on the right side column, where the rewards are. They are towards the beginning ("Physical CD" or "Signed Physical CD").

You can listen to a couple of track here:

On a Misty Night (Tadd Dameron)

We See (Thelonious Monk)

It's Souncloud, so it's compressed but it will give you an idea. The 192/24 files sound better, and I'm happy to send them to anyone here. Thanks for your interest!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jerome. Thank you! Sounds interesting! On the site, it says 'rewards are not guaranteed' which presumably is a global site policy. If I were to go for your A Physical CD Option ($20 + shipping), would I definitely be getting a CD and receiving around September time 2023?

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Hi Jerome. Thank you! Sounds interesting! On the site, it says 'rewards are not guaranteed' which presumably is a global site policy. If I were to go for your A Physical CD Option ($20 + shipping), would I definitely be getting a CD and receiving around September time 2023?
@LL21 : Yes, you would definitely get a CD around that time. The long delay is about the timing to press vinyl, which is really long right now, and even for the vinyl, I built in a safety margin so that all backers should get what they order in time. For the CD, it should be ready long before that, although I want to deliver everything around the same time.

The "rewards are not guaranteed" thing is indeed some sort of legal disclaimer. Rest assured though, I have run two Kickstarter campaigns before here and there. They were both successful and everyone got what they ordered. That's how I financed my last two records, "The Turn" and "No Filter". Any other questions, please ask. Thanks for your interest!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Purchased! Look forward to receiving. Presumably the system will request shipping address within UK at some point. It simply priced for UK shipping at this stage.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
HiJerome, I would love to hear a couple of the tracks In 24/192. Big fan fellow Philly guy Kenny Barron. The recording sounds like a great review project For me.

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Purchased! Look forward to receiving. Presumably the system will request shipping address within UK at some point. It simply priced for UK shipping at this stage.
Thank you @LL21! Yes, once the Kickstarter ends (Jan 12), I will send surveys asking for addresses. Thanks for your backing!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
HiJerome, I would love to hear a couple of the tracks In 24/192. Big fan fellow Philly guy Kenny Barron. The recording sounds like a great review project For me.
Hi Joe,

I just sent you the tracks by PM on this board. It was certainly amazing to play with Mr. Barron! I enjoyed every minute of it, especially playing duet with him. Thanks for your interest!

Anyone else, please feel free to reach out. Thank you!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
@LL21 : Yes, you would definitely get a CD around that time. The long delay is about the timing to press vinyl, which is really long right now, and even for the vinyl, I built in a safety margin so that all backers should get what they order in time. For the CD, it should be ready long before that, although I want to deliver everything around the same time.

The "rewards are not guaranteed" thing is indeed some sort of legal disclaimer. Rest assured though, I have run two Kickstarter campaigns before here and there. They were both successful and everyone got what they ordered. That's how I financed my last two records, "The Turn" and "No Filter". Any other questions, please ask. Thanks for your interest!
What are the fastest/easiest ways to order CDs of these 2 albums if we are interested?

Jerome Sabbagh

Mar 27, 2018
Just 6 days left on the Kickstarter! 7 test pressings left, and no R2R (but I can make it happen for the members of this board if you are interested). Plenty of regular AAA vinyl available though. Any and all questions, please let me know and thanks for your kind support!

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
Hi Jerome. The music sounds great. If you could PM me the two tracks in 24/192, it would be much appreciated. Take care.

Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing