vinyl upgrades; Dava, FCL tone arm, EMIA silver Phono Corrector, MC Trio

three-TTs.jpg i've finished my digital push....and been working on a few odds and ends to fine tune my vinyl. had my 3 tt's for 3 years now, thought long and hard about consolidating the 3 into one 'big-boy' tt, but at the end of the day have decided that the three tt's cover state of the art vinyl rotating and so they are all keepers. i like what each does too much, and nothing else enough, to change. i will likely sell my 4th tt, the EMT948 i got a year ago, as i'm rarely listening to it.

a month ago i ordered the DaVa Ref (field coil) cartridge and did post about that. it's still approximately 3 months away. so May. it will replace one of my 3 Etsuro Gold MC's.

i've been working on a new tone arm for the last couple of months, and did finally order the 12" Primary Control FCL (field coil) tone arm last week. that's also scheduled to arrive in May. my initial plan was to combine the DaVa field coil cart with the field coil arm. but i've learned that is not a good idea. that arm/cart combo not synergistic. so the DaVa will be mounted on one of my Durand Tosca's. the FCL arm will then have one of my Etsuro Gold's.

right now, the plan is to mount the FCL arm on the Wave Kinetics NVS, and keep the Tosca on the Saskia with the Dava cart. but i will have arm boards for both arms, for both turntables. so i can play around with the best combinations. my goal is to have the best jazz/blues arm/cart combo on the Saskia, and the best classical/pop combo on the NVS to compliment the CS Port linear tracker for classical/pop. the Durand Telos which now has my Miyajima Infinity mounted will be moving on, and my other Tosca will now do both my Infinity Mono carts.

lastly; i have ordered today the EMIA Phono Corrector in silver, with 2 power supplies. it will hopefully be here in late April. it will replace my CS Port phono. once the DaVa cartridge arrives; Dave Slagle will work with me to identify the best SUT as a match for it, and Dave will then combine that SUT with a silver SUT for both Etsuro Gold's into an EMIA MC Trio. i'll trade my current pair of silver 1:10 EMIA SUT's in on the MC TRIO. so the Phono Corrector will service all three cartridges, leaving the mono carts for the darTZeel phono. the MC Trio will also have a mono switch, so i can use it for the mono's if i like.

to help pay for all these items, i'll be selling the EMT 948 with Durand Kairos arm, one Etsuro Gold, the CS Port phono, and one of my Studer A-820's (without the head switch and with 1/4" and 1/2" guides and head blocks) i have not been using. so there will be some pain, but not crazy amounts of it. it will be a few months, but i can ride off into the sunset once these things are in place and dialed in.

at least it's a plan. and checks have been written.

Last edited by a moderator:
IME the main reason for records to gain static charge is anti-static brushes (besides humidity and earth’s natural magnetization). -Against all the advertisements- when you use anti-static brush it works like a static charging device, especially when the record is on the platter. If you’re using furutech or similar destat device before brushing then you’re erasing it’s effect by charging records with static again. Using destat while record sitting on platter also diminishes the effect.

Yes, many record brushes can increase static on a record through friction, but not all do.

There is a modern fiber invented by Mitsubshi named COREBRID and described as a "core-in-sheath acrylic fiber" (ref). It has an acrylic outer sheath with an interior that can be a variety of materials. One of those interiors is conductive carbon particles and that product is COREBRID B.

Two manufacturers use this fiber in record brushes: Furutech and Analog Relax. Both have the fiber in contact with metal in their handle and operate using what's known as the corona discharge mechanism (ref). The idea is to hold or touch the metal handle while you hold the brush and touch something metal with your other hand (rack, lamp,etc.) Hold the conductive fibers against a record rotating on the platter. Touching metal with your free hand creates a 'circuit' to discharge the static electricity built up on the record. Simple and it does work.

I've tried both products. The Furutech brush has long flexible fibers that are hard to press to the record which leads to more of a broom-like sweeping affect. I do not find it particularly effective for removing dust. The Analog Relax brush has short stiff fibers that are 0.03mm thick which allows the fibers at least partly into the groove. You press it against the record while it rotates and it does a fine job of removing both dust and static in a couple rotations. You can also hold the record to brush it though record handling can be dicey. The Analog Relax brush is on A'zon but pricey - better prices on ebay. The Furutech ASB-1 from whomever sells Furutech and is typically $100 more than the Analog Relax.

I also use a small UV flashlight to see dust on records and check the results from cleaning, brushing and destat. There is a lot more dust than meets the naked eye. I use the Alonefire SV003.

DSC02023.JPG

Two manufacturers use this fiber in record brushes: Furutech and Analog Relax.
I tried Furutech brush a couple of times it’s not effective to remove dust due to long fibers as you’ve said. I wasn’t aware of Analog Relax brush. thanks for the info.

Reactions: tima
My 3rd anti-static device arrived today, another CS Port IME1. This one has the cable that can plug directly into the CS Port LFT1 tt power supply. So a little more tidy install. So all three tt’s are equipped, the Saskia/Tosca/DaVa now has one for the first time. Playing the first side now, a Schubert Symphony on Philips. It’s better, too soon to go further. the system, tt and cartridge are not yet warmed up.

Normally I would only have one anti-static device on at a time. All three are on for you to see it, the green lights. the lights are indicators only, so you don't leave the units on accidently.

CBB99624-2841-49F0-96A2-EA938693EBAB.jpeg D59E4B87-894C-4AD0-9AAD-36B6A19D0A66.jpeg 09AC5C40-F00D-4A0D-9A47-EF9171267A54.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 98516 i've finished my digital push....and been working on a few odds and ends to fine tune my vinyl. had my 3 tt's for 3 years now, thought long and hard about consolidating the 3 into one 'big-boy' tt, but at the end of the day have decided that the three tt's cover state of the art vinyl rotating and so they are all keepers. i like what each does too much, and nothing else enough, to change. i will likely sell my 4th tt, the EMT948 i got a year ago, as i'm rarely listening to it.

a month ago i ordered the DaVa Ref (field coil) cartridge and did post about that. it's still approximately 3 months away. so May. it will replace one of my 3 Etsuro Gold MC's.

i've been working on a new tone arm for the last couple of months, and did finally order the 12" Primary Control FCL (field coil) tone arm last week. that's also scheduled to arrive in May. my initial plan was to combine the DaVa field coil cart with the field coil arm. but i've learned that is not a good idea. that arm/cart combo not synergistic. so the DaVa will be mounted on one of my Durand Tosca's. the FCL arm will then have one of my Etsuro Gold's.

right now, the plan is to mount the FCL arm on the Wave Kinetics NVS, and keep the Tosca on the Saskia with the Dava cart. but i will have arm boards for both arms, for both turntables. so i can play around with the best combinations. my goal is to have the best jazz/blues arm/cart combo on the Saskia, and the best classical/pop combo on the NVS to compliment the CS Port linear tracker for classical/pop. the Durand Telos which now has my Miyajima Infinity mounted will be moving on, and my other Tosca will now do both my Infinity Mono carts.

lastly; i have ordered today the EMIA Phono Corrector in silver, with 2 power supplies. it will hopefully be here in late April. it will replace my CS Port phono. once the DaVa cartridge arrives; Dave Slagle will work with me to identify the best SUT as a match for it, and Dave will then combine that SUT with a silver SUT for both Etsuro Gold's into an EMIA MC Trio. i'll trade my current pair of silver 1:10 EMIA SUT's in on the MC TRIO. so the Phono Corrector will service all three cartridges, leaving the mono carts for the darTZeel phono. the MC Trio will also have a mono switch, so i can use it for the mono's if i like.

to help pay for all these items, i'll be selling the EMT 948 with Durand Kairos arm, one Etsuro Gold, the CS Port phono, and one of my Studer A-820's (without the head switch and with 1/4" and 1/2" guides and head blocks) i have not been using. so there will be some pain, but not crazy amounts of it. it will be a few months, but i can ride off into the sunset once these things are in place and dialed in.

at least it's a plan. and checks have been written.
Looks great Mike,
I wish I had the chance to visit you and getting a NASA-standard Demo…

All the best / Jk

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
hi Johan,

you would be welcome any time you are in the neighborhood.
Thank you Mike,

It would be an honor… just a pity that it is so far in between … all the atlantic ocean and stuff… haha. Otherwise I would be ringing on your door already, so we could spinn some vax together, right - haha..!!?

I have been follow you in the shadows since you had the Kharma Exquisite Classique, and before you moved to the barn of yours.
I’m so impressed of your hifi journey.

I’m not in to social media like FB or Tw, so this is really the first time I’m getting a little bit digtally social..
This forum though, (WBF) seems to be very gentle and nice to be in, so I give it a go. I really love hi end hifi and when you have a little bit more than just a transistor radio, it gets apperent that you need like-minded persons to share your interest with… and this seems the right place to be?.

Btw: When you feel the urge for a ”swedish fika”, -just take a rocket launch over the little water strech between us… and you are most welcome here too…

Now.. you have the best weekend and a very Happy New Year, okay!

All the best

/ Johan 940CD30D-3A95-4B8E-BB41-EBFCF3A589A1.jpeg

Thank you Mike,

It would be an honor… just a pity that it is so far in between … all the atlantic ocean and stuff… haha. Otherwise I would be ringing on your door already, so we could spinn some vax together, right - haha..!!?

I have been follow you in the shadows since you had the Kharma Exquisite Classique, and before you moved to the barn of yours.
I’m so impressed of your hifi journey.

I’m not in to social media like FB or Tw, so this is really the first time I’m getting a little bit digtally social..
This forum though, (WBF) seems to be very gentle and nice to be in, so I give it a go. I really love hi end hifi and when you have a little bit more than just a transistor radio, it gets apperent that you need like-minded persons to share your interest with… and this seems the right place to be?.

Btw: When you feel the urge for a ”swedish fika”, -just take a rocket launch over the little water strech between us… and you are most welcome here too…

Now.. you have the best weekend and a very Happy New Year, okay!

All the best

/ Johan View attachment 102310
Johan, thank you for the kind comments.

you have a beautiful room and very nice kit. looks like a great listening spot, and maybe someday i will take the 'rocket'.....when you get a chance list your gear.

cheers,

Mike

Reactions: Johan K
Johan, thank you for the kind comments.

you have a beautiful room and very nice kit. looks like a great listening spot, and maybe someday i will take the 'rocket'.....when you get a chance list your gear.

cheers,

Mike
Dear Mike,

I have listed my gear under my profile..
Enjoy..

All the best

/ Jk

My 3rd anti-static device arrived today, another CS Port IME1. This one has the cable that can plug directly into the CS Port LFT1 tt power supply. So a little more tidy install. So all three tt’s are equipped, the Saskia/Tosca/DaVa now has one for the first time. Playing the first side now, a Schubert Symphony on Philips. It’s better, too soon to go further. the system, tt and cartridge are not yet warmed up.

Normally I would only have one anti-static device on at a time. All three are on for you to see it, the green lights. the lights are indicators only, so you don't leave the units on accidently.

View attachment 100336 View attachment 100337 View attachment 100338
Hi Mike,
If you could only buy one Static Eliminator, which one would it be i.e. the CSPort IME1 or the DS Audio ION-001 and why ?

With my Kuzma XL DC, I could mount either at the locations as recommended by the Manufacturer.

I could site the IME1 on top of my spare Tonearm Tower and maybe even bolt it to it (at least until I get a 2nd arm which won't be just yet!)

To my eyes, the IME1 looks more professional and purposeful !

Hi Mike,
If you could only buy one Static Eliminator, which one would it be i.e. the CSPort IME1 or the DS Audio ION-001 and why ?

With my Kuzma XL DC, I could mount either at the locations as recommended by the Manufacturer.

I could site the IME1 on top of my spare Tonearm Tower and maybe even bolt it to it (at least until I get a 2nd arm which won't be just yet!)

To my eyes, the IME1 looks more professional and purposeful !
i have not been able to do an A/B in any meaningful way. they both seem to be similarly effective. probably the IME1 is more flexible in finding a location where it works, the emitter is closer to the record, and it does demagnetize too, although i rarely do that step. so i might lean that way as far as features and ease of use.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy
Yes, many record brushes can increase static on a record through friction, but not all do.

There is a modern fiber invented by Mitsubshi named COREBRID and described as a "core-in-sheath acrylic fiber" (ref). It has an acrylic outer sheath with an interior that can be a variety of materials. One of those interiors is conductive carbon particles and that product is COREBRID B.

Two manufacturers use this fiber in record brushes: Furutech and Analog Relax. Both have the fiber in contact with metal in their handle and operate using what's known as the corona discharge mechanism (ref). The idea is to hold or touch the metal handle while you hold the brush and touch something metal with your other hand (rack, lamp,etc.) Hold the conductive fibers against a record rotating on the platter. Touching metal with your free hand creates a 'circuit' to discharge the static electricity built up on the record. Simple and it does work.

I've tried both products. The Furutech brush has long flexible fibers that are hard to press to the record which leads to more of a broom-like sweeping affect. I do not find it particularly effective for removing dust. The Analog Relax brush has short stiff fibers that are 0.03mm thick which allows the fibers at least partly into the groove. You press it against the record while it rotates and it does a fine job of removing both dust and static in a couple rotations. You can also hold the record to brush it though record handling can be dicey. The Analog Relax brush is on A'zon but pricey - better prices on ebay. The Furutech ASB-1 from whomever sells Furutech and is typically $100 more than the Analog Relax.

I also use a small UV flashlight to see dust on records and check the results from cleaning, brushing and destat. There is a lot more dust than meets the naked eye. I use the Alonefire SV003.

View attachment 99971

Hi 'tima',
Is it this Analog Relax brush you mention in your post above;

or this one;

p.s. I have ordered off Amazon the Alonefire SV003 UV flashlight to see how clean my records are after washing them on my Keith Monks Classic RCM !

i have not been able to do an A/B in any meaningful way. they both seem to be similarly effective. probably the IME1 is more flexible in finding a location where it works, the emitter is closer to the record, and it does demagnetize too, although i rarely do that step. so i might lean that way as far as features and ease of use.
Thank you Mike. Very much appreciated.

Yes, I am thinking the same as you for the IME1's advantages !

I wonder if the previous posters have a terrible static problem. I live in the San Fernando Valley where humidity is very low for months at a time. I do not have an LP static problem generally, no pops or crackles when removing a record. CDs nearly always sound better after using the Destat III.

I use a Furutech Destat III on CDs and LPs (sometimes a Walker Talisman on LPs). I also destat the SME IV (modified) tonearm or swipe it with a destat/carbon fiber dust brush. Maintaining a continuous anti-static system is over the top for me and I have 28,500 LPs and 11,000 CDs (and a not SOTA but high end system). I use the Destat 3 after cleaning using a Kirmuss and drying with a VPI 16 although the static charge is usually not apparent.

Considering that this forum is "What's Best," my comments are probably inadequate for the forum. I only mentioned what's best for me and probably many others but eradicating all static continuously during play is best.

Considering that this forum is "What's Best," my comments are probably inadequate for the forum. I only mentioned what's best for me and probably many others but eradicating all static continuously during play is best.
from time to time i do have noticeable excess static, but as i live in the mountains (much of the year a rain forest) and it's not extremely cold and dry, my humidity is more normal. i think for myself the major advantage of an effective negative ion anti static treatment device is to allow the micro dust on our records to be removed from the grooves by the release of the magnetic cling and thereby lower noise and reduce/eliminate pops and clicks.

the music is noticeably more vivid and microdynamic. cleaner and more real. this is a subtle thing but valuable in the context of my investment a great ROI.

so fixing static is only one level of the benefit, and thank you for your comments they are very relevant.

i mentioned on other threads i had another cartridge coming, it just arrived. the Audio Technica AT-2022 60th Anniversary Edition, with the unified stylus cantilever design. i plan on trying it on the TA-9D tonearm on the Esoteric T1 turntable soon.

The Japanese really know how to present a product. i have high expectations.

never seen gloves with a cartridge before. :oops:

06C71051-E642-4FFF-BA3F-53B1175DD3CB.jpeg
78F88DE9-4B00-4A38-9F1A-E9875FF5B018.jpeg

142B0D1B-1774-4370-BC0C-453C78C8512A.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing