Primary Control FCL 12"----field coil loaded unipivot tone arm.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
There is of course the technology, in this case magnetically stabilized uni pivot, yet just like with all audio gear ( especially transducers - carts and drivers ) the results can be hard to attribute to a simple tech or material. It's the craft person / designer balancing everything and creating a whole!

Congrats on the new level of enjoyment :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
yes...but not that simple.

i've owned a few unipivots; many years ago (late 90's, into 2001) i owned a couple of Graham arms; the 1.5 and the 1.5tc. they were a bit wobbly. never owned a Phantom or Graham after that.

i've owned 2 Durand Telos unipivots, and a Durand Kairos uni-pivot; both designs which use a side azimuth bridge to steady it. there was an art to setting up these particular arms in terms of degrees of tightness of the bridge and the whole balance. the Sapphire Telos was an amazing arm, still is. one of the very best arms i've owned. maybe the ultimate mechanical uni-pivot. with the bridge the Durand's were not at all wobbly. but not plug and play easy to optimize.

on the FCL, with the field coil turned on, you can push from the side and it will deflect, and smoothly spring back. but zero wobble. the feel when putting side pressure on is more a slight resistance but controlled. whatever is actually happening and however it works, the result is ultimate (in my experience) standard setting information and musicality.

Sounds good - I only have experience with the jmw VPI arms that wobbled all over the joint.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Sounds good - I only have experience with the jmw VPI arms that wobbled all over the joint.
You need this one that works really good;)

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Trying to understand how it wobbles. Does this wobbling happens only when the music is in the redline passage output peaking or all the time? Did anti-skate adjustment help at all?

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Trying to understand how it wobbles. Does this wobbling happens only when the music is in the redline passage output peaking or all the time? Did anti-skate adjustment help at all?

Hey Tang,

No it is the wobbling when cueing it. Not sure if you have tried one but as you lift it the wobble begins and as you lower it, it continue wobbling before it stabilises after a 10 seconds or so into leading edge of album.

Reactions: mtemur

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the Durand Telos is a uni-pivot that uses a side azimuth bridge/arm mechanism to eliminate the wobble. Graham used an azimuth magnet with it's Phantom and Elite. a naked unipivot design, such as the VPI, will have some visible wobble. it wobbles since it has a single point of contact. and will do so until it is in the groove, which will stabilize it somewhat. but it will then have what is referred to as bearing chatter. dancing around in the groove. it needs something to steady it to eliminate that chatter.
Based on the uni-pivot design Graham Engineering has perfected over the past 20 + years, the Graham Phantom Elite uses the point down damped uni-pivot bearing manufactured to spec in Switzerland, Magneglide stabilizer/azimuth adjuster, calibrated VTA adjustability with built-in spirit level, detachable arm wand in 9", 10" and 12" lengths with Grahams cartridge alignment gauge.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
the Durand Telos is a uni-pivot that uses a side azimuth bridge/arm mechanism to eliminate the wobble. Graham used an azimuth magnet with it's Phantom and Elite. a naked unipivot design, such as the VPI, will have some visible wobble. it wobbles since it has a single point of contact. and will do so until it is in the groove, which will stabilize it somewhat. but it will then have what is referred to as bearing chatter. dancing around in the groove. it needs something to steady it to eliminate that chatter.
Do you think the Primary Control FCL is "better" overall than other arms you have tried or just better in some aspects but not many aspects enough to say it is "better."

Same question to me I would answer yes the 3012R is better than all arms I had experienced except SAT. Comparing to SAT the 3012R is different not better. I only write this to be fair to you and will not talk about other arms in this thread again.

Reactions: PeterA

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Do you think the Primary Control FCL is "better" overall than other arms you have tried or just better in some aspects but not many aspects enough to say it is "better."

Same question to me I would answer yes the 3012R is better than all arms I had experienced except SAT. Comparing to SAT the 3012R is different not better. I only write this to be fair to you and will not talk about other arms in this thread again.
Tang,

until i try the FCL with more cartridges and maybe even on other turntables it's hard to be able to make wide claims. i can only say it's a particularly synergistic match with the NVS and it's active isolation, and the 'special' Etsuro Gold....and my system. it's doing things with familiar pressings i've never heard before.

logically.....intuitively......it has certain technical advantages over other tonearms. but it's impossible for me to know if those technical things are what is taking it further. marketing hype verses true performance advantages? does it matter which it is? not to me.

the FCL maintains the magical liquidity of the best arms even with astonishing detail. i've never lived with the SAT so i only know it from brief exposure at shows. the FCL never sounds forced or hard. the music is served, it flows and the inner musical energy is related. not information for it's own sake.

i hear a piano key strike in a most precise never before heard way, but my impression is of color, overtones and energy, not just the impact. like the arm control has such headroom of groove handling that it can dig it all out without breaking a sweat.

maybe other arms can do it too? or is it other tt/arm/cart/system combo's?

regarding your view of the 3012R, i view it like i view your perspective on tone arm cables. your arm preference seems to be a neutral component to get you to where you desire to go musically. so it's perfect for your needs....the best. who could argue? it does what you want from an arm. you can depend on it.

but maybe not exactly what i want from an arm. if someday i have one to compare directly i'll have an opinion. the video's i've heard with the 3012R are mostly very positive....as far as that goes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tango

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I cant speak up to the level of experience that @Mike Lavigne and @Tango have, however having met Bernd @ Primary control and having heard his system I can say his magnetically stabilized arms are really very good.

Reactions: flyer and hogen

PrimaryControl

Feb 4, 2018
Amsterdam
www.primarycontrol.nl
Tang,

until i try the FCL with more cartridges and maybe even on other turntables it's hard to be able to make wide claims. i can only say it's a particularly synergistic match with the NVS and it's active isolation, and the 'special' Etsuro Gold....and my system. it's doing things with familiar pressings i've never heard before.

logically.....intuitively......it has certain technical advantages over other tonearms. but it's impossible for me to know if those technical things are what is taking it further. marketing hype verses true performance advantages? does it matter which it is? not to me.

the FCL maintains the magical liquidity of the best arms even with astonishing detail. i've never lived with the SAT so i only know it from brief exposure at shows. the FCL never sounds forced or hard. the music is served, it flows and the inner musical energy is related. not information for it's own sake.

i hear a piano key strike in a most precise never before heard way, but my impression is of color, overtones and energy, not just the impact. like the arm control has such headroom of groove handling that it can dig it all out without breaking a sweat.

maybe other arms can do it too? or is it other tt/arm/cart/system combo's?

regarding your view of the 3012R, i view it like i view your perspective on tone arm cables. your arm preference seems to be a neutral component to get you to where you desire to go musically. so it's perfect for your needs....the best. who could argue? it does what you want from an arm. you can depend on it.

but maybe not exactly what i want from an arm. if someday i have one to compare directly i'll have an opinion. the video's i've heard with the 3012R are mostly very positive....as far as that goes.

Mike,

You mentioned "certain technical advantages" and I would like to take this opportunity to describe some technical aspects related to the magnetic stabilization of the FCL tonearm.

The magnetic stabilization of the FCL is implemented in such a way that the bearing position can be freely selected.
A classic uni-pivot design has a high pivot position and low position of the mass to stabilize the entire construction.

The FCL stabilization is provided by the magnet in combination with the field coil. However, the bearing still consists of a combination of ruby and sapphire bearing parts and not, as some audiophiles sometimes assumed, contact-free due to magnetic forces.
In addition to the more user-friendly handling behavior, it has the advantage of being able to lower the bearing to record level (applies to cartridge heights of 17mm).

The good thing about uni-pivot bearings is that you only deal with a defined point of vibration transmission from the cartridge.
Imagine two ball bearings with 7 or 9 balls each in a tone arm bearing (vertical movement).
3 to 4 balls in one bearing are loaded by the tonearm's own weight and the other balls are more or less unloaded.
Here the vibration transmission behavior is not easy to control.

FCL stands for (F)field (C)oil (L)oaded. This defined bearing point is loaded by magnetic force without adding additional mass to the moving parts of the tonearm.
This transmission begins at the pickup, which transmits a large amount of vibration and energy into the head-shell/arm-wand and should be dissipated through the bearing.
Here it is possible to minimise vibration-related bearing chatter by loading this one bearing point.

Last but not least, the field coil, driven by a constant current source, acts as a motion feedback system to minimize unwanted torsional motion.

Bernd

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

You mentioned "certain technical advantages" and I would like to take this opportunity to describe some technical aspects related to the magnetic stabilization of the FCL tonearm.

The magnetic stabilization of the FCL is implemented in such a way that the bearing position can be freely selected.
A classic uni-pivot design has a high pivot position and low position of the mass to stabilize the entire construction.

The FCL stabilization is provided by the magnet in combination with the field coil. However, the bearing still consists of a combination of ruby and sapphire bearing parts and not, as some audiophiles sometimes assumed, contact-free due to magnetic forces.
In addition to the more user-friendly handling behavior, it has the advantage of being able to lower the bearing to record level (applies to cartridge heights of 17mm).

The good thing about uni-pivot bearings is that you only deal with a defined point of vibration transmission from the cartridge.
Imagine two ball bearings with 7 or 9 balls each in a tone arm bearing (vertical movement).
3 to 4 balls in one bearing are loaded by the tonearm's own weight and the other balls are more or less unloaded.
Here the vibration transmission behavior is not easy to control.

FCL stands for (F)field (C)oil (L)oaded. This defined bearing point is loaded by magnetic force without adding additional mass to the moving parts of the tonearm.
This transmission begins at the pickup, which transmits a large amount of vibration and energy into the head-shell/arm-wand and should be dissipated through the bearing.
Here it is possible to minimise vibration-related bearing chatter by loading this one bearing point.

Last but not least, the field coil, driven by a constant current source, acts as a motion feedback system to minimize unwanted torsional motion.

Bernd
Bernd,

thank you for taking the time to shed more light on the FCL arm design. much better than my guessing and quoting is the actual designer's presence. your description of vibration transfer behavior from unloaded bearing balls (with multi-point bearing designs) verses the advantages of the uni-pivot approach, makes sense to me. it had always seemed logical that a single point of contact might have advantages, but i never really understood the actual mechanisms at work before.

and the FCL resolves certain uni-pivot design trade-offs.

this aligns with what i'm now hearing with the FCL.

thank you,

Mike

Reactions: Solypsa

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
this morning i continue to be amazed by the FCL arm. at some point i might take it for granted, but not yet. :)

just grabbed a random Lp, 1974 pressing of Tartini Violin Concertos on Philips (6500 784). the finely rendered violin just melts me. i can hear way into the intent and life of the performance. it's real. my musical vocabulary is not capable to relating what i'm hearing. lovely.

i'm told my EMIA MC Trio should (hopefully) ship to me this week, which will allow me to again be able to jump quickly from arm to arm and get a better comparative viewpoint of where i'm at. get a few hours on it before typhoon o_O Kedar arrives.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
there is a passage on side 2 of this Tartini pressing, Concerto in B Flat, 3rd movement, Allegro, with a heavenly duo with the violin and cello that is out of this world. oh my.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Do you think the Primary Control FCL is "better" overall than other arms you have tried
yes.
or just better in some aspects but not many aspects enough to say it is "better."
Tang,

after listening more to the FCL these last 2 weeks i would have to say that the FCL is at a level of musical expression beyond any other arm i have heard. i'm not saying it does this or that the best. because what it seems to do is to improve the realism of whatever the music is doing. i can't really break it down into pieces. none of my tonearms are slouches. the FCL is that little bit less reproduced and more real at everything.

maybe it's technical headroom for navigating the groove is on another level? i'm just trying to describe what might be going on. it could also be that the particular combination of the FCL, NVS, 'special' Etsuro Gold, LFD cable and Tana active system together is particularly synergistic. it does not seem to matter what type of music i play. it delivers. every time i play a familiar pressing i'm hearing a new level. not better this or that. just more real and solid sounding.

what is impressive is how natural and balanced the FCL is with the most energetic pressings. not a hint of anything mechanical or harsh. nothing even approaching sterility or detail for the sake of detail. the humanity of the music is like a drug. the listening experience is compelling. a continual suspension of disbelief. no it's not the same as live. but it's different somehow.

not had an SAT in my system, only heard them at shows. this one sounds somehow different than my impression of that. impossible to draw any useful conclusions from a show. love to hear a direct FCL compare with those two.

i have heard this same (model) special Etsuro Gold cartridge on the CS Port linear tracker and the Tosca (on both the Saskia and the NVS), so i do have a reference from those spots. it's amazing to me there so little buzz about the FCL. the FCL is not cheap, each one is built to order, and it's at least 4 months to get one. Bernd has been a pleasure to work with and was very good and clear with his communications. followed through on everything he promised. there was nothing unusual about set-up or adjusting. build quality is top level, has a very elegant look and feel.

i would encourage anyone who gets a chance to hear this arm to do it. hope others with this arm contribute to the feedback.

my EMIA MC Trio should arrive on Thursday. i'm curious how my other tt/arm/cart combo's will line up in terms of my listening once i can easily switch again. what will the CS Port linear tracker and the DaVa bring to the table as alternatives? it will be fun to work through that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: hogen and Tango

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
yes.

Tang,

after listening more to the FCL these last 2 weeks i would have to say that the FCL is at a level of musical expression beyond any other arm i have heard. i'm not saying it does this or that the best. because what it seems to do is to improve the realism of whatever the music is doing. i can't really break it down into pieces. none of my tonearms are slouches. the FCL is that little bit less reproduced and more real at everything.

maybe it's technical headroom for navigating the groove is on another level? i'm just trying to describe what might be going on. it could also be that the particular combination of the FCL, NVS, 'special' Etsuro Gold, LFD cable and Tana active system together is particularly synergistic. it does not seem to matter what type of music i play. it delivers. every time i play a familiar pressing i'm hearing a new level. not better this or that. just more real and solid sounding.

what is impressive is how natural and balanced the FCL is with the most energetic pressings. not a hint of anything mechanical or harsh. nothing even approaching sterility or detail for the sake of detail. the humanity of the music is like a drug. the listening experience is compelling. a continual suspension of disbelief. no it's not the same as live. but it's different somehow.

not had an SAT in my system, only heard them at shows. this one sounds somehow different than my impression of that. heard the new Kuzma Safir at the Puget Audio Fest, but i did not hear what i'm hearing here. impossible to draw any useful conclusions from a show. love to hear a direct FCL compare with those two.

i have heard this same (model) special Etsuro Gold cartridge on the CS Port linear tracker and the Tosca (on both the Saskia and the NVS), so i do have a reference from those spots. it's amazing to me there so little buzz about the FCL. the FCL is not cheap, each one is built to order, and it's at least 4 months to get one. Bernd has been a pleasure to work with and was very good and clear with his communications. followed through on everything he promised. there was nothing unusual about set-up or adjusting. build quality is top level, has a very elegant look and feel.

i would encourage anyone who gets a chance to hear this arm to do it. hope others with this arm contribute to the feedback.

my EMIA MC Trio should arrive on Thursday. i'm curious how my other tt/arm/cart combo's will line up in terms of my listening once i can easily switch again. what will the CS Port linear tracker and the DaVa bring to the table as alternatives? it will be fun to work through that.
Thank you very much for the feedback Mike. I admit I was pressuring you a little asking you that. But I knew if I ask "Mike Lavigne" that he would not answer me right away. Only til "Mike Lavigne" is certain within himself that he would respond as above. You must have listened to so many different records and thought of so many variables in different context before arriving this. Looking forward to hear further feedback from you playing this arm with Dava and your other turntables.

@bonzo75 . Your timing cannot be better visiting Mike man. Jealous. Can't imagine what it would be like if you, Mike and I, the three gear nuts are listening together in the barn.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@bonzo75 . Your timing cannot be better visiting Mike man. Jealous. Can't imagine what it would be like if you, Mike and I, the three gear nuts are listening together in the barn.

Same like now, you could read my report to find out what you heard.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Same like now, you could read my report to find out what you heard.
Your report is lame...like watching porn with no sound. All substance no emotional engagement. Mike's writing has foreplay, action, technique, sound, and even leave at the end with a to be continue to enjoy more later.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hey Tang,

No it is the wobbling when cueing it. Not sure if you have tried one but as you lift it the wobble begins and as you lower it, it continue wobbling before it stabilises after a 10 seconds or so into leading edge of album.
You must have something set up incorrectly, as I'm getting back into vinyl (for better or worse) and have a VPI Aries 3 and no such problem occurs. Mine drops on the record straight as an arrow continuing onto the record. And that's me working on a TT after walking away from analog 10 years ago :)

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
The fcl tone arm is quite amazing guys. On the basis of the reviews here I reached out and got one for my t1 turntable. The arm is a phenomenal match with the at mc2022 and the main difference.... Details! I hear much much more from this combination and with that came everything in spades

Naturalness
Tempo
Beat
Atmosphere
Soundstage

I did a lot of research before settling on the fcl. It just had a high pretest probability for me. And I am very happy that it has proven itself many times over

Friends! If you are looking for a tone arm. Consider the fcl! You won't regret it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230822_191631.jpg
    IMG_20230822_191631.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230822_191626.jpg
    IMG_20230822_191626.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 40

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The fcl tone arm is quite amazing guys. On the basis of the reviews here I reached out and got one for my t1 turntable. The arm is a phenomenal match with the at mc2022 and the main difference.... Details! I hear much much more from this combination and with that came everything in spades

Naturalness
Tempo
Beat
Atmosphere
Soundstage

I did a lot of research before settling on the fcl. It just had a high pretest probability for me. And I am very happy that it has proven itself many times over

Friends! If you are looking for a tone arm. Consider the fcl! You won't regret it.
The Primary Control Gravity ( little brother to FCL ) is no slouch either

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing