Visit to Miks home (CY108)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Earlier today I had the pleasure of visiting Miks home to collect a new Etsuro Urushi Cobalt UK version cartridge of which more anon, but also managed to spend about 40 mins hearing his system and expect to have a more extended listening session soon when I will have more time.
Mik is the proprietor of Unique Audio here in the UK and one of the most knowledgeable experts on vinyl reproduction in the world.
His system is incredible and I can say that with no exaggeration whatsoever.
Every element of it is custom made wherever possible. Its current guise is as follows:
Last ever built Rockport system 111 which was shipped out to him in 2011 by Tim Sheridan OF LORIEN.
LFD Golden Cobra reference tonearm cable featuring the worlds only d profiled pure silver conductors.
CS Port turntable with tonearmand etsuro custom cartridge. LFD raptor tonearm cable.
Custom one off SPJ Alba Special with Kevlar platter and Black Lady tone arm. Koetsu Blue onyx diamond cantilever with modifications to compressor etc and tonearm. Etsuro Gold SE cartridge.
Amplification is a Jadis heavily modified jp 800 preampwith large platinum wiring on inputand outputs all custom madeby Dr Bews of LFD. Custom output and mains transformers wound in solid platinum. Custom made pure silver mains cable. Wiring between pre power for high frequencies a long run of LFD diamond viper reference interconnect with large enchanting cable with 62 different diameters for different frequencies married up to a pure platinum coupling cable uniquely designed.
Bass amplifiers coupled with LFD Diamond Vipor long run coupled LFD Silver Raptor and diamond unscreened dongle together with a pure platinum coupler.
Jadis amplifier 4 chassis x 2 bass amps ja 800x2. 8 blocks in total biiamped with many revisions, different capacitors for bass amp and high frequency amplifiers specially tuned for each frequency.Mains and output transformers amplifier wound in purist platinum custom made for Mik. Internal wiring incorporating pure platinum. Passive component selection has been optimised for eacg frequency band (LF and HF)amps designed for strictly LF and HF.One-off amps. Input and outputs custom tuned with pure gold and platinum wiring with gold for high frequenciesand pkatinum for for bass. A total of 27kgs of platinum in the amps,
The speaker cable is custom made LFD pure silver ribbon /stranded hybrid speaker cable with pure platinum coupler.
The Rocport speakers are biamped and specially wired with pure platinum harnesses and specially modified.
Aesthetic io eclipse modified with pure platinum wiring, pure platinum transformers with many revisions.
Audio Tekne phono stage.
We used the Modern Cool 4 disc vinyl with all three decks.
for listening as it is a recording I am familiar with and time was regrettably short.
They all sonded stunning as you might expect. Every desirable attribute was there in abundance. Completely pure sound with no interfering artifacst (the compressors were in a separate room, The closest to a top class live performance I have ever heard anywhere.It feels superfluous to give more detail which may disappoint but I do want to say a bit about the three different turntables I heard,
We listened first to the SPJ which looks incredible and has an amazing musicality to its sound, Rich and well resolved and I am sure Baroque music would sound absolutley stunning. My only reservation was whether the sound might be too much of a good thing and a bit overwhelming for a long listening session.
Next up was the CS Port which had a more neutral sound. It married the best of high end digital sound with all the vitues of vinyl analogue sound if that isn't too much of a contradiction in terms. All beautifully balanced and distinctly different in character from the SPJ.
Last up was the Rockport which became my favourite. There was a complete rightness to the sound and I could have happily listened to it for hours. It was the nearest things to a live performance that I have ever listened to.
How much the different sounds owed to their different cartridges I cannot say, but they all sounded superb. Different genres of music would I am sure have revealed more of their different characters of sound and may have changed my preferences. All were stunning and ultimately personal preferences and tastes would I am sure determine individual assessments of them and I am very grateful indeed to Mik for the opportunity to hear his incredible system.
It reflects years of dedicated development which is very quickly evident on listening to the system.
I am expecting to be able to have an extended listening session next week and will update this post then.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
very nice, any pictures?

never heard of the CS Port turntable before, but it looks wonderful.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Does anyone know how the diamond viper reference interconnect with large enchanting cable with 62 different diameters for different frequencies married up to a pure platinum coupling cable uniquely designed compares to Ching Cheng

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Earlier today I had the pleasure of visiting Miks home to collect a new Etsuro Urushi Cobalt UK version cartridge of which more anon, but also managed to spend about 40 mins hearing his system and expect to have a more extended listening session soon when I will have more time.
Mik is the proprietor of Unique Audio here in the UK and one of the most knowledgeable experts on vinyl reproduction in the world.
His system is incredible and I can say that with no exaggeration whatsoever.
Every element of it is custom made wherever possible. Its current guise is as follows:
Last ever built Rockport system 111 which was shipped out to him in 2011 by Tim Sheridan OF LORIEN.
LFD Golden Cobra reference tonearm cable featuring the worlds only d profiled pure silver conductors.
CS Port turntable with tonearmand etsuro custom cartridge. LFD raptor tonearm cable.
Custom one off SPJ Alba Special with Kevlar platter and Black Lady tone arm. Koetsu Blue onyx diamond cantilever with modifications to compressor etc and tonearm. Etsuro Gold SE cartridge.
Amplification is a Jadis heavily modified jp 800 preampwith large platinum wiring on inputand outputs all custom madeby Dr Bews of LFD. Custom output and mains transformers wound in solid platinum. Custom made pure silver mains cable. Wiring between pre power for high frequencies a long run of LFD diamond viper reference interconnect with large enchanting cable with 62 different diameters for different frequencies married up to a pure platinum coupling cable uniquely designed.
Bass amplifiers coupled with LFD Diamond Vipor long run coupled LFD Silver Raptor and diamond unscreened dongle together with a pure platinum coupler.
Jadis amplifier 4 chassis x 2 bass amps ja 800x2. 8 blocks in total biiamped with many revisions, different capacitors for bass amp and high frequency amplifiers specially tuned for each frequency.Mains and output transformers amplifier wound in purist platinum custom made for Mik. Internal wiring incorporating pure platinum. Passive component selection has been optimised for eacg frequency band (LF and HF)amps designed for strictly LF and HF.One-off amps. Input and outputs custom tuned with pure gold and platinum wiring with gold for high frequenciesand pkatinum for for bass. A total of 27kgs of platinum in the amps,
The speaker cable is custom made LFD pure silver ribbon /stranded hybrid speaker cable with pure platinum coupler.
The Rocport speakers are biamped and specially wired with pure platinum harnesses and specially modified.
Aesthetic io eclipse modified with pure platinum wiring, pure platinum transformers with many revisions.
Audio Tekne phono stage.
We used the Modern Cool 4 disc vinyl with all three decks.
for listening as it is a recording I am familiar with and time was regrettably short.
They all sonded stunning as you might expect. Every desirable attribute was there in abundance. Completely pure sound with no interfering artifacst (the compressors were in a separate room, The closest to a top class live performance I have ever heard anywhere.It feels superfluous to give more detail which may disappoint but I do want to say a bit about the three different turntables I heard,
We listened first to the SPJ which looks incredible and has an amazing musicality to its sound, Rich and well resolved and I am sure Baroque music would sound absolutley stunning. My only reservation was whether the sound might be too much of a good thing and a bit overwhelming for a long listening session.
Next up was the CS Port which had a more neutral sound. It married the best of high end digital sound with all the vitues of vinyl analogue sound if that isn't too much of a contradiction in terms. All beautifully balanced and distinctly different in character from the SPJ.
Last up was the Rockport which became my favourite. There was a complete rightness to the sound and I could have happily listened to it for hours. It was the nearest things to a live performance that I have ever listened to.
How much the different sounds owed to their different cartridges I cannot say, but they all sounded superb. Different genres of music would I am sure have revealed more of their different characters of sound and may have changed my preferences. All were stunning and ultimately personal preferences and tastes would I am sure determine individual assessments of them and I am very grateful indeed to Mik for the opportunity to hear his incredible system.
It reflects years of dedicated development which is very quickly evident on listening to the system.
I am expecting to be able to have an extended listening session next week and will update this post then.

Wow Barry. I am very envious that you have now been to visit Mik and his unbelievable system.

I have yet to make the trip to Alladin’s Cave or should I say Treasure Trove. I have only heard a series of videos from Mik of the various TTs currently setup (Rockport Sirius III, SPJ Alba special platter, Blue Pearl Custom and CS Port).

What I heard seriously whet my appetite even via the video - I heard a very live, grainless, highly resolving and extremely natural sounding system. I have no doubt, Barry, that you heard something truly incredible. Anyway I hope to visit Mik one day to experience this for myself.

I know that Mik is *hugely* dedicated to this hobby spending every waking hour thinking and conceptualising how to evolve his system. Looking forward to learning more about his philosophy and approach to nirvana soon.

Enjoy your Etsuro, Barry! Please keep us updated on how you get along.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Barry, many thanks for this write-up. i've heard about these treasures you speak about during my phone conversations with Mik but i truly envy that you actually visited him and saw and heard them. sounds like hifi heaven +++ to me.

interesting comments on the CS Port tt with custom Esturo cartridge. was that the Gold? i wonder what your take might have been if it had had a cartridge more familiar to you? was it simply more detailed than the other carts so caused you to think 'digital'? a surprising word regarding that tt and cart. or maybe was just not adding it's own character comparatively? and wonder if you recall which cartridges were on the SPJ and Rockport? i know it's hard with only one record to sort things out.

again thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013
It was such a pleasure to have barry round all be it for such a short visit,the phono stages used obviously are very different I had the spj and the wonderful cs port connected to the same stock top line costly audio teckne phono stage. The tweaked rockport was connected to the heavily modified aesthetix io eclipse it took me many hours of trial and error trying to voice the aesthetix at great cost. The transformers made a vast improvement platinum has a greater sense of scale compared to silver so one cannot use the same conductors, to use correctly one has to have large amounts of material and many different diameters since the subjective bandwidth of silver conductors is relatively narrow some conductors can be as much as 4mm which is used. One cannot use the same conductors again to avoid clogging. Platinum on the other has has a relatively wide bandwidth for a conductor slightly wider than copper which means you use fewer different diameters to create a uniform coherent sound. Platinum when used correctly has a sheer kind purity to the sound that is truly grainless with absolute solidity not which is not easily achievable with other materials. Unfortunately the cost of platinum is truly un commercial and cannot be used main stream. As people know with thomas mayer improvements occur when using silver as a conductor and objectively the prices have to increase significantly.

Reactions: amadeus

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great to read about such system - would love to see a picture as many items see custom made.

Considering that platinum cost is fifty times higher than silver Kondo now becomes the electronics for penniless audiophiles ... ;) I can easily figure that just the metal cost for all these transformers should be close to six figures .

Reactions: 108CY

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry, many thanks for this write-up. i've heard about these treasures you speak about during my phone conversations with Mik but i truly envy that you actually visited him and saw and heard them. sounds like hifi heaven +++ to me.

interesting comments on the CS Port tt with custom Esturo cartridge. was that the Gold? i wonder what your take might have been if it had had a cartridge more familiar to you? was it simply more detailed than the other carts so caused you to think 'digital'? a surprising word regarding that tt and cart. or maybe was just not adding it's own character comparatively? and wonder if you recall which cartridges were on the SPJ and Rockport? i know it's hard with only one record to sort things out.

again thank you.

Thank you Mike
The SPJ had the Koetsu Blue Onyx and the Etsuro Gold SE were on the Rockport and the CS Port.
Yes I agree my description of the sound of the CSPort might cause some surprise but that was how it struck me. After such a short listening I am a bit reluctant to ascribe a particular reason for it, but it was certainly very impressive and I am sure that owners of that combination will be delighted with the sound.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Wow Barry. I am very envious that you have now been to visit Mik and his unbelievable system.

I have yet to make the trip to Alladin’s Cave or should I say Treasure Trove. I have only heard a series of videos from Mik of the various TTs currently setup (Rockport Sirius III, SPJ Alba special platter, Blue Pearl Custom and CS Port).

What I heard seriously whet my appetite even via the video - I heard a very live, grainless, highly resolving and extremely natural sounding system. I have no doubt, Barry, that you heard something truly incredible. Anyway I hope to visit Mik one day to experience this for myself.

I know that Mik is *hugely* dedicated to this hobby spending every waking hour thinking and conceptualising how to evolve his system. Looking forward to learning more about his philosophy and approach to nirvana soon.

Enjoy your Etsuro, Barry! Please keep us updated on how you get along.

Thanks Bill
Yes it was a really marvellous experience and I will look forward to reading your perceptions of Miks system.
Once I have had some more listening time with the Cobalt I will do an update but my early impressions are very positive indeed.
Best
Barry

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you Mike
The SPJ had the Koetsu Blue Onyx and the Etsuro Gold SE were on the Rockport and the CS Port.
Yes I agree my description of the sound of the CSPort might cause some surprise but that was how it struck me. After such a short listening I am a bit reluctant to ascribe a particular reason for it, but it was certainly very impressive and I am sure that owners of that combination will be delighted with the sound.

Thank you Barry. i think reading Mik's comments below does explain to a large degree the differences between the CS Port and the Rockport each with the same cartridge. the phono stages were very different. OTOH the SPJ had the Koetsu when added to the SPJ sound gets quite a ways in a particular direction.

It was such a pleasure to have barry round all be it for such a short visit,the phono stages used obviously are very different I had the spj and the wonderful cs port connected to the same stock top line costly audio teckne phono stage. The tweaked rockport was connected to the heavily modified aesthetix io eclipse it took me many hours of trial and error trying to voice the aesthetix at great cost.......

altogether lovely stuff.

agree with Micro that hundreds of thousands of pounds sterling worth of platinum in all the gear, particularly with the Aesthetix Io phono, pushes Mik's gear beyond any commercial relevance and enters a realm of magic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin and 108CY

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Pictures will certainly cause lust. I've seen a few photos of the incredible turntable collection. Based on some telephone conversations, I can say that Mik is a true enthusiast and is very generous with the sharing of his extensive experience. I'm glad there is a thread report of a member visiting this extraordinary system. Lucky Barry!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Barry2103,

Sounds like an amazing experience! Which Rockport speakers does Mik have? And was all the customization done by Rockport? Why did he customize...and did you speak with Mik about what he felt it did to the speakers?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes Llloyd it really was quite something.
Mik is better placed than me to tell you about his Rockport speakers so can I defer to him for a reply.
Hope you are well.
Best
Barry

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Given the intense effort (and great cost) to redo the gear in all platinum etc., I can't help but wonder why donor units (Jadis and others) were used and not fresh custom builds? At any rate as a vinyl guy the system is pretty jaw dropping.

(I setup a modest analog rig the other day and my client showed me pics of a hotel in Japan he stayed at with a full CS Port system in the lobby. Pretty cool...)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing