VIV Laboratory Rigid Float Tonearm, first experience.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I stopped using the Rigid Float after being in to Micro Seiki and TechDAS AF3P turntables, as the RF arm does not fit.

But since a short time, the German Rigid Float importer constructed a tonearm base for Micro Seiki and TechDAS:

So I might consider the tonearm again, as I liked the dynamic and brute force a lot :)
I tried to buy that but he says he has no more left and wasn’t sure if he was making more. I use a temp wood block on my rack, works fine. Now I am having a stainless steel pedestal made.

Reactions: SONDEKNZ

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
I tried to buy that but he says he has no more left and wasn’t sure if he was making more. I use a temp wood block on my rack, works fine. Now I am having a stainless steel pedestal made.
Thanks for this confirmation.
I hope you don't mid a bunch of questions.
What table are you using it on and what tonearm did the VIV displace?
What cartridge are you running? Got any pics?
What listening differences did the VIV bring to the table? [Excuse the snappy idiom :) ]

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Thanks for this confirmation.
I hope you don't mid a bunch of questions.
What table are you using it on and what tonearm did the VIV displace?
What cartridge are you running? Got any pics?
What listening differences did the VIV bring to the table? [Excuse the snappy idiom :) ]
I’m using it on an AF5. Didn’t displace anything really, use it in addition to a 3012R. I have the Ha7 and so far have used it with a SPU-A Wood and a DaVa FC A1. No pictures, it’s not too pretty now sitting on the block of wood I got from the hardware store! Dynamics, detail, and I swear it sounds a bit like a linear tracker. This I don’t get since I believe the tracking error is quite high due to the nature of the design. It’s also so quick/easy to align and doesn’t require absolute accuracy to sound outstanding.

Reactions: SONDEKNZ

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I’m using it on an AF5. Didn’t displace anything really, use it in addition to a 3012R. I have the Ha7 and so far have used it with a SPU-A Wood and a DaVa FC A1. No pictures, it’s not too pretty now sitting on the block of wood I got from the hardware store! Dynamics, detail, and I swear it sounds a bit like a linear tracker. This I don’t get since I believe the tracking error is quite high due to the nature of the design. It’s also so quick/easy to align and doesn’t require absolute accuracy to sound outstanding.
Can I ask if you are still just as happy with the arm two months on? I recently had the chance to hear the Cb7 and was very impressed.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has compared the carbon and aluminium models in 7” and 9” versions. What are the differences in sound between the various models?

David Whistance

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Can I ask if you are still just as happy with the arm two months on? I recently had the chance to hear the Cb7 and was very impressed.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has compared the carbon and aluminium models in 7” and 9” versions. What are the differences in sound between the various models?

David Whistance
I love this arm! If you can get past the somewhat crude adjustments and alignment you will be rewarded.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi David,

Good to see you here.. I have the RF9 on my TTS-8000 at the moment, alongside my SAEC WE560, which has been a favourite for some years now. The ViV RF9 has been a very interesting exercise though, debunking the tracing error theory completely, and demonstrating what a tonearm without any bias application is capable of. As you'll have heard via the 7, there is no distortion at LP extremes, even almighty crescendo's or powerful female vocal's at the inner groove will not upset the tracking. I have used the RF9 with the Aidas cartridges, from the £2800 Rainbow Malachite in the Nasotec Swing headshell, up to the top level Mammoth Gold Mkii at £7,700 in the Nelson Hold headshell. The Mammoth Gold I could not achieve top performance for some reason in the swing headshell, but the ViV headshell works wonderfully. This all run through the RCM Theriaa Mkii and Mayer 10Y Silver or Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 at present. So I think headshell experimentation is applicable here as per usual. You are always welcome to call by if you are in the area anytime..

BR,
Paul

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Thank you both. I will keep investigating but I must say I’m tempted! I do need to try and listen to both aluminium and carbon versions in several lengths to try and understand the differences.

David

Reactions: Uk Paul

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Is the RF, even in the longest version heavy enough for the Ortofon SPU? Or would you maybe recommend explicitly the shorter ones, even for an SPU?
I read many good things about the tonearm but I have never heard it. I am interested in them for my two SPU A cartridges in comparison to a Groovemaster 12“ tonearm.

Joyride

Mar 15, 2022
Birdwatcher:
Is the RF, even in the longest version heavy enough for the Ortofon SPU? Or would you maybe recommend explicitly the shorter ones, even for an SPU?
I read many good things about the tonearm but I have never heard it. I am interested in them for my two SPU A cartridges in comparison to a Groovemaster 12“ tonearm.

Did you find out anything more about using it with a SPU?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I can’t imagine a Groovemaster sounding better than the ViV.

Reactions: Uk Paul

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
With the Viv the general idea is use the shortest one that will fit easily on your table. Since it is straight/ no offset / underhung there is not an issue with cart body length...

Both arms are a great value, might as well have them both ;)

Reactions: jespera and Uk Paul

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
In the meantime I bought a second ViV Rigid Float (second version) in 9" for my turntable.
So far no one conventional tonearm betters the sound experience of the Rigid Float.

Using Ortofon SPUs is a no brainer. I had different SPUs on my ViV tonearms from the
SPU#1E, Synergy GM, Royal A to the Shindo A.

The only thing is to put the basis a little nearer to the platter in the case of the SPU As.

All of them sounded in the best way they can... and this is really good. ;-)

Actually very often one of my DS Audio cartridges are occupying at least one place
in the Rigid Floats. They show a perfect harmony with the "stock" Nelson Hold headshells.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
In the meantime I bought a second ViV Rigid Float (second version) in 9" for my turntable.
So far no one conventional tonearm betters the sound experience of the Rigid Float.

Using Ortofon SPUs is a no brainer. I had different SPUs on my ViV tonearms from the
SPU#1E, Synergy GM, Royal A to the Shindo A.

The only thing is to put the basis a little nearer to the platter in the case of the SPU As.

All of them sounded in the best way they can... and this is really good. ;-)

Actually very often one of my DS Audio cartridges are occupying at least one place
in the Rigid Floats. They show a perfect harmony with the "stock" Nelson Hold headshells.

The rigid float comes in three lenghts 7, 9, 12. Do you know how they compare sound wise?

Really just, the shorter the better..?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
The rigid float comes in three lenghts 7, 9, 12. Do you know how they compare sound wise?

Really just, the shorter the better..?
One of the published reviews mentioned the difference in length/material. Can’t recall where it was but should be easy to find.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
This might be a case for the longer Viv, due to logistics, measure what will work without interference.

Having a decoupled arm on a suspended table is not 'textbook' best practice, but people have done it and posted good results. Wbf member @PeterA had a thread on just such an endeavor before he switched turntables....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing