WADAX dedicated forum

I just did a shootout this week for a client that now has both the Wadax Server and Dac and the MSB Select 2 with the director.
The end result is the Wadax is in his primary system and the MSB is now in his secondary system.
Personally all this stuff is way to heavy for my old bones to move around and hook up and take apart so I am happy that the decision was made and we can all go back to enjoying the music.
Its all fun and games untill someone actually has to do the work LOL

Elliot,

I feel sorry for your back, and even sorrier for the poor client who has such an inferior second system.

Reactions: gleeds and Pokey77
Reactions: howiebrou and rando
I just did a shootout this week for a client that now has both the Wadax Server and Dac and the MSB Select 2 with the director.
The end result is the Wadax is in his primary system and the MSB is now in his secondary system.
Personally all this stuff is way to heavy for my old bones to move around and hook up and take apart so I am happy that the decision was made and we can all go back to enjoying the music.
Its all fun and games untill someone actually has to do the work LOL
I can relate to the schlepping stuff around - just assembled a new HRS VXR rack (400lbs?) and swear that lowering it to the ground has given me mild sciatica!
I recently acquired an MSB Select II, and my position on the Wadax has changed to one of being excited that there is an upgrade path in the future. The MSB has completely transformed my appreciation of digital music - am in absolute heaven - and haven't even tried to optimise it yet. So I look forward to vicariously enjoying the Wadax adventures of your customers and others. It took me a while to accept that the dCS and MSB world order had been disrupted.

I can relate to the schlepping stuff around - just assembled a new HRS VXR rack (400lbs?) and swear that lowering it to the ground has given me mild sciatica!
I recently acquired an MSB Select II, and my position on the Wadax has changed to one of being excited that there is an upgrade path in the future. The MSB has completely transformed my appreciation of digital music - am in absolute heaven - and haven't even tried to optimise it yet. So I look forward to vicariously enjoying the Wadax adventures of your customers and others. It took me a while to accept that the dCS and MSB world order had been disrupted.
congrats on your Select II. it is an amazing dac. i do see the frequency and veracity of Wadax deniers diminishing, and more that it's not a threat, instead a next positive step. i appreciate your perspective.

Reactions: ctydwn
congrats on your Select II. it is an amazing dac. i do see the frequency and veracity of Wadax deniers diminishing, and more that it's not a threat, instead a next positive step. i appreciate your perspective.
Thank you, Mike. Your journey has been an inspiration to me - have learned a lot from you over the years and probably wouldn't own the Select II were it not for your advocacy. I love dCS too - and respect both companies' engineering focus. The two brands have both been aspirational for me for over a decade - so a certain brand loyalty took hold. Even still - I was sceptical about the Select II until I took my first listen.The quantum leap it represents over my previous digital experiences - and even current ones such as the Rossini APEX - showed how little I actually knew. Biases are now firmly reset. I hope to have the opportunity to listen to the Wadax in my system in the next year.

Last edited:
Yes congrats it is an excellent product and a excellent sounding unit as well. I still don't get why others have hate for Wadax . If one doesn't like it or appreciate it then don't buy it, its really simple. The dCS first then the MSB and now the Wadax have all significantly improved digital playback and I would assume they will push the boundaries forward in the future.
For some reason these products are treated significantly different than analog. I wonder why, there is a new tone arm or cartridge every month and that doesn't get the same treatment.
BTW don't fret there will be lower priced products coming the future to make the world FREAK out in 2024. Maybe this is true, maybe this is fake news , maybe this is the emotional truth, or just a gut feeling.
The truth shall set you free :)

Elliot,

I feel sorry for your back, and even sorrier for the poor client who has such an inferior second system.
why sorry he is thrilled ! Its about him and his choices

.....I still don't get why others have hate for Wadax....
I figured this was probably not a unique phenomenon and indeed the following makes sense to me and phrases it better than I could: (source: au.indeed.com)

"Cons of disruptive technology

Unproven applications

Because disruptive inventions are completely unique to their markets, it might take several months or even years for the public to trust the product. Businesses that introduce innovative products may implement effective marketing strategies to help inform the public. The more information the public has of the product, the more likely they may be to trust it."

-----------------

Given the price point of the flagship Wadax system - user adoption and thus information flow is going to be *really* slow [small addressable market vs. a mainstream product]. Its the rarified end of an already niche market and many buyers ("install the best of the best please") don't frequent the forums to share their experiences. We will get there though - am sure I am not alone in having had an initial visceral reaction that has evolved into an open minded/curious outlook. This hobby is meant to be fun - I'm having the best time right now - and whilst scepticism is healthy - hate says more about the person than the product - and I speak from self introspection

Last edited:
Not to mention that the cd player looks like the carbon freezing chamber in the Empire Strikes Back. Dry ice should come free with every purchase.

Going to cast a doubt, Howie. Nerdy sci-fi reference and cryo treatment of every disc inserted. ;)

The red light district....:cool:

RGB.

Red money, Green money, Blue money... or any other permutation.

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou
I figured this was probably not a unique phenomenon and indeed the following makes sense to me and phrases it better than I could: (source: au.indeed.com)

"Cons of disruptive technology

Unproven applications

Because disruptive inventions are completely unique to their markets, it might take several months or even years for the public to trust the product. Businesses that introduce innovative products may implement effective marketing strategies to help inform the public. The more information the public has of the product, the more likely they may be to trust it."

-----------------

Given the price point of the flagship Wadax system - user adoption and thus information flow is going to be *really* slow [small addressable market vs. a mainstream product]. Its the rarified end of an already niche market and many buyers ("install the best of the best please") don't frequent the forums to share their experiences. We will get there though - am sure I am not alone in having had an initial visceral reaction that has evolved into an open minded/curious outlook. This hobby is meant to be fun - I'm having the best time right now - and whilst scepticism is healthy - hate says more about the person than the product - and I speak from self introspection
Without taking a side in the "what's best digital" debate. I did have the chance to hear the complete Wadax system while visiting Robert Harley a few weeks back. While I was unfamiliar with the speakers in place (Wilson Benesch Eminence with two WB subwoofers) I felt the sound produced by the Wadax was exceptional. No doubt the Select II is also great! It's nice to have a choice at this exalted level. It would be cool if Wadax trickles down their technology to a lower price point and less boxes. All those rack shelves, boxes and cables can be overwhelming! We also listened to Robert's Basis Transcendence, Super arm and Air Tight Opus 1 and the sound it conveyed was the best analog I have ever heard.

Killer!

Yes, looks killer. But would like some more trickle down for us with a lesser budget! MLs got me wanting to hear this manufacturer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing