Wadax Reference Dac and Server arrive

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
interesting question. not really. they answer a question i'm not asking.

i heard his room, which he is justly proud of, in early December with the CH 10 stereo. he just spent 3 days in my system. both with the Wadax.

my vinyl blew him away. and he went back to his room to work on it after hearing mine. he had never spent time with darTZeel before. he wondered how the world did not know all about Evolution Acoustics speakers.
Or could be Elliot stop to sell CH and will become Dartzeel distributor?

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I always preferred in system of shops or friends CD instead streaming,and i am very happy with my Kalista dream Play One,integrated cd palyer,but couldnt imagine using my Kalista like player and Wadax like dac

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Or could be Elliot stop to sell CH and will become Dartzeel distributor?
no, nothing like that. he loves his CH P. but he now does respect darTZeel.

how many have heard darTZeel in a mature system for 3 days with lots of different types of music?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

how many have heard darTZeel in a mature system for 3 days with lots of different types of music?
Me, me me! LoL. CH too, but Dart much much more. Even the 468 finally and with the latest preamp. I remember when it was just a prototype...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Me, me me! LoL. CH too, but Dart much much more. Even the 468 finally and with the latest preamp. I remember when it was just a prototype...
thanks Norman. :) it's got to be fun to pal around with Herve!

i had the original '458' prototype (with no casework just on a board with the final 'back' version) in my room for 6 months back in 2007-2008 (i think?). and the original 18NS preamp prototype before that (2005?) (which did have a chassis but not the final one).

fun stuff.

Reactions: Golum and wisnon

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

I had never heard the darTZeel before , nor the Evolution speakers. They system sounded incredible and there is no way to separate the items from the system. Having said that they have to be really good or the system wouldn't do what it is doing.
As Mike says whether i need the other is not a question I am asking at this time :)
FYI I am barely getting my head around the M10 and do not have an L10 yet !!!

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015

I am one of those that has not experienced 3 days of”exposure” to darTZeel under conditions you describe, Mike. Is there a sign up list yet?!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I am one of those that has not experienced 3 days of”exposure” to darTZeel under conditions you describe, Mike. Is there a sign up list yet?!
the 3 hour plan (dart+Evo+Wad+CS+ Studer+++) is always in play for those like minded people who are interested. just let me know. it's my favorite thing to do.

the 3 day plan (in my particular room) requires certain forces in the universe to align.....just right. and my wife to approve. :eek: it does happen from time to time.

maybe another darTZeel owner can accomodate?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
@microstrip Can you expand on this:

Thanks.

I am referring to direct comparisons between two components, just alternating between them in a short time (say an afternoon or less).

Although such technique looks ideal, the constraints to carry it in a proper way are too many to allow a proper opinion. Even ignoring the most critical aspect - biases and lack of proper statistics in such a short time - most people carry them in very inadequate conditions. Seldom listening volume is properly matched, cue time of the recorded music is not respected and 99% of the time listening is carried with the presence of other people.

Also, such methodology only tells you that in one exact system we seem to prefer A over B. It is possible that a minor change in the system will change the preference. All IMHO, YMMV.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
the 3 hour plan (dart+Evo+Wad+CS+ Studer+++) is always in play for those like minded people who are interested. just let me know. it's my favorite thing to do.

the 3 day plan (in my particular room) requires certain forces in the universe to align.....just right. and my wife to approve. :eek: it does happen from time to time.

maybe another darTZeel owner can accomodate?
Thank you, Mike, I’d be happy with 3 hours!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
So let me think about this. If I had one door that led to the barn for listening and another door that led to Penelope Cruz and Selma Hayek, I'm not sure that my favorite thing to do for the next 3 hours would be to choose the barn door!! Just sayin'... o_O

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So let me think about this. If I had one door that led to the barn for listening and another door that led to Penelope Cruz and Selma Hayek, I'm not sure that my favorite thing to do for the next 3 hours would be to choose the barn door!! Just sayin'... o_O
not if your 48 year Anniversary is next week. and you don't want just half your system.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Late to the party here but wanted to extend my congrats and appreciation to Mike for sharing with the group his experiences with his new set up. World-class system for both digital and analogue! I guess it comes down to " do I drive the Ferrari or Lamborghini today?"

Reactions: aangen

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
and you don't want just half your system

Mike, I believe many would be overjoyed to have half of your system... : )

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
@microstrip Your response helped me understand better. Good points... and ones I will keep in mind. Thanks!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I am referring to direct comparisons between two components, just alternating between them in a short time (say an afternoon or less).

Although such technique looks ideal, the constraints to carry it in a proper way are too many to allow a proper opinion. Even ignoring the most critical aspect - biases and lack of proper statistics in such a short time - most people carry them in very inadequate conditions. Seldom listening volume is properly matched, cue time of the recorded music is not respected and 99% of the time listening is carried with the presence of other people.

Also, such methodology only tells you that in one exact system we seem to prefer A over B. It is possible that a minor change in the system will change the preference. All IMHO, YMMV.
in the land of the blind men, the one eye'd man is King.

agree; A/B never tells the whole story. but we do what we can. and if it's our own system, then it's better than the alternative. as that is your context to use the gear. there are 'tells' that can be relied on.

you spend your dollars your way.

we can never eliminate bias and desire for pretty things, nor do we want to. this ain't science. not close.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
tonight i've done a playlist of Golden Age jazz classics. honestly in the past i've not listened to much of this digitally as it's a focus of my vinyl listening. but....the Wadax combo, even with redbook streaming, is able to take me to a high place where i am not aware it's not vinyl. it just soars and sucks me in like my 45 rpm gems. no; not exactly the same by degrees, but soo close. and i don't have to worry about falling asleep.

the Wadax does horns so completely......tonal density and organic textures. ease, flow and a sense of ambient air.......soundstage depth, holographic reach out and touch it presentation. real and life like.

i get the action and sense of air pressure from the horns......that immediacy and startle factor. life. alive.

Lee Morgan's "Search for a New Land" 192/24-Quboz......just started......sweeeeet!

no compromise digital.

Last edited:

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
tonight i've done a playlist of Golden Age jazz classics. honestly in the past i've not listened to much of this digitally as it's a focus of my vinyl listening. but....the Wadax combo, even with redbook streaming, is able to take me to a high place where i am not aware it's not vinyl. it just soars and sucks me in like my 45 rpm gems. no; not exactly the same by degrees, but soo close. and i don't have to worry about falling asleep.

the Wadax does horns so completely......tonal density and organic textures. ease, flow and a sense of ambient air.......soundstage depth, holographic reach out and touch it presentation. real and life like.

i get the action and sense of air pressure from the horns......that immediacy and startle factor. life. alive.

Lee Morgan's "Search for a New Land" 192/24-Quboz......just started......sweeeeet!

no compromise digital.
They will be sweeter in next May or June when the Reference PSU and Akasa DC cables is released. I have to save money from now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing