Wadax Server PSU unit has now arrived

Hi Carlos - you have very eloquently and succinctly summarised my own 'concerns' regarding the Wadax reference DAC. I too suspected DSP when I read about 'paradigm shifts' in DAC performance, as articulated by forum members I trust and respect. After all, my team uses Universal Audio plugins (for example) in the studio when producing, to get the sound we are after (and that consumers hear). And funnily enough..... the Studer A800 tape plugin almost always features. I am about to invest hard-earned money in a flagship DAC for pleasure (not work) - so Wadax hit my radar, along with dCS and MSB. But my due-diligence is throwing-up some red flags, also.

Absolutely, the issue is not if they are clever and implementing soft clipping & the addition of harmonics through saturation emulation. The big concern, if they are in deed doing this, is with the deception. Something smells not kosher here and the fact that did not submit review samples to Stereophile is all too telling. Glad to see someone else on this forum has experience with “sweetening” plug-ins.

Reactions: Googaliser
Absolutely, the issue is not if they are clever and implementing soft clipping & the addition of harmonics through saturation immolation. The big concern, if they are in deed doing this, is with the deception. Something smells not kosher here and the fact that did not submit review samples to Stereophile is all too telling. Glad to see someone else on this forum has experience with “sweetening” plug-ins.
Given how much we rely on plugins in production - the idea of consuming with them is just too obvious, although my imagination stopped with room-correction eq. My Trinnov Altitude is one of the most immersive listening experiences I have had to date. But it's just Meridian's trifield on DSP steroids. We are at a point now where the software can emulate hardware very convincingly. Maybe the Wadax is the first to pass the DAC Turing test ;-)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MarkusBarkus
You are funny. Your comments were a classic game, but they were pretty entertaining ;)

I remember the adage: The dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.

You are funny. Your comments were a classic game, but they were pretty entertaining ;)

I remember the adage: The dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.
Hi Steve - I hadn't heard this phrase before - it also made me smile and I learned something new!

Well my PSU should be fully burned in and I doubt it will be any different going foward and the result is really very positive. I am not surprised as to what a better or additional power suplly can do . This subject has been introduced into the improvement of most electronics as long as I can remember. They always improve the PS back from the early ARC days all the way till today.
For those that have a Wadax server I can never tell you how to spend your money as all of these items are a good chunk of change however I seriously doubt you wont like what happens when it is installed. I'm not scientist, dont have degrees in engineering, but I have been around a long time and had great teachers/mentors and many many live experiences. I really love what my system is doing. The word again is more not by addition and there is no subtraction just more. More of the system letting me in and more of the system getting out of the way, and more music in my room and me being more entertained and involved.

BTW Munich added more Wadax users including Magico and I spied another major speaker company exec who don't use Wadax spending a ton of time in the room and after I spoke with him and explained the products I introduced him to Javier and they spoke for a very long time. I was aware of 6 rooms using the products not sure if that was the total. I also visited the Gobel HQ with thier new large purpose built soundrooms and the Majestic System also featured a full Wadax system and was IMO just incredible , a treat to sit and listen too.
IMO whatever they are doing is amazing .

IMO whatever they are doing is amazing .

Is this the first acknowledgment that Wadax is “doing” something to the native music, feed by the serve, before converting to analog? Or just the classic expression?

Is this the first acknowledgment that Wadax is “doing” something to the native music, feed by the serve, before converting to analog? Or just the classic expression?
If this is so important to you Carlos here are a few suggestions that YOU can do to find out
1) Write to John Atkinson and ask him if he has requested product ?
2) write to wadax and ask the same questions
3) purchase a system and do your own research. I ll be happy to sell you one I even have one in stock ready to ship.
4) want an in home evaluation we can do that as well. I will be happy to do that if you meet my requirements and terms. Of course the units will require payment before they ship as I don't know you or have ever done business with you.
So now its action time or quiet time you choose.

Elliot, I believe you inserted not only the PSU in your system but also the Wadax top of the line DC cables between the PSU and server (and maybe also between the two PSU’s and the Wadax reference dac), is that right? Did you insert all those pieces simultaneously or maybe one after the other? I am asking because maybe it is possible for you to inform us on what these DC cables are bringing to the table (sonically speaking of course;))

Elliot, I believe you inserted not only the PSU in your system but also the Wadax top of the line DC cables between the PSU and server (and maybe also between the two PSU’s and the Wadax reference dac), is that right? Did you insert all those pieces simultaneously or maybe one after the other? I am asking because maybe it is possible for you to inform us on what these DC cables are bringing to the table (sonically speaking of course;))
I only received the PSU and the one Akasa power cable to connect to the server. I put them both in at the same time. I do not at this time have the Akasa power connects from the power supplies to the DAC.
My observations are based on both of those items inserted together. I do not have just another "standard" power connector from the PSU to the DAC.

I only received the PSU and the one Akasa power cable to connect to the server. I put them both in at the same time. I do not at this time have the Akasa power connects from the power supplies to the DAC.
My observations are based on both of those items inserted together. I do not have just another "standard" power connector from the PSU to the DAC.
Thanks Elliot.

Reactions: Elliot G.
Absolutely, the issue is not if they are clever and implementing soft clipping & the addition of harmonics through saturation emulation. The big concern, if they are in deed doing this, is with the deception. Something smells not kosher here and the fact that did not submit review samples to Stereophile is all too telling. Glad to see someone else on this forum has experience with “sweetening” plug-ins.
Why do they need so submit a sample for review? They are selling units faster than they can build them. More and more rooms at shows are displaying their digital front end despite the crazy high cost. People are listening and likeing what they hear.

Reactions: Elliot G. and GuyB
People are listening and likeing what they hear.

If you think so. Ask around and you might be surprised that not everyone feels that way. What has been consistent is that it does sound different. I thought that as a scientist/engineer you would also be curious as to why, like this scientist/engineer? I guess not all of us accept things in blind faith!

As i mentioned, i have pretty much given up on the intellectual side of this hobby. I will leave that to the younger generation to figure out why some of the stuff I hear works. I am just using my ears as the judge and as always if i have to squint to hear it i dont really care about it. Whatever needs to be clearly better (to me).

Reactions: Elliot G. and GuyB
Good to read that you are enjoying yourself so much, Elliot, and that even without any ‘measurement blessing’ ;).
I have gotten the system to a level thatfind items that allow to go further and this is one. I am just listening to music, don't care where it comes from and how I get it but rather does this interest me and make me want to listen. The PSU has made this happen and everyone that has heard the system has really enjoyed the results.

As i mentioned, i have pretty much given up on the intellectual side of this hobby. I will leave that to the younger generation to figure out why some of the stuff I hear works. I am just using my ears as the judge and as always if i have to squint to hear it i dont really care about it. Whatever needs to be clearly better (to me).

No need to ask to the younger generation. The current (and the previous one :) !) know a lot about the hobby. However most audiophiles prefer to stay in ignorance - and manufacturers/dealers (not all) also prefer they to stay so!

Sometimes our forum looks like a mix of Pleasantville and the confusion of tongues of the Babel tower.

Reactions: Young Skywalker
I have gotten the system to a level thatfind items that allow to go further and this is one. I am just listening to music, don't care where it comes from and how I get it but rather does this interest me and make me want to listen. The PSU has made this happen and everyone that has heard the system has really enjoyed the results.
Maybe one final question in this regard, Elliot: although always (somewhat) arbitrary, is it possible for you to mention a percentage as regards how much better the Wadax reference server sounds in your view with its dedicated PSU? If I understand you correctly the progress in music reproduction is really significant, that is we are not talking about only 2-3% or something like that.

No need to ask to the younger generation. The current (and the previous one :) !) know a lot about the hobby. However most audiophiles prefer to stay in ignorance - and manufacturers/dealers (not all) also prefer they to stay so!

Sometimes our forum looks like a mix of Pleasantville and the confusion of tongues of the Babel tower.
I can understand why you always show everyone your knowledge but I am sure you bought many things without knowing measurements.

Respect your time and everyone else's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing