WaxRax Vinyl Record Storage Racks

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Other than $5,000 being a nice round number, I cannot deduce why they are so expensive.

Machining cost? But they look like (nicely-made) strips of aluminum and side panels.
I've seen them Ron, they're way over priced for simple sheet metal shelves. I looked for a very long time for record racks and in the end I found some old ones on ebay that came from an old record store which unfortunately arrived broken and in pieces. As far modern options go I didn't find anything worthwhile compared to a custom build or the alternative Ikea Kallax shelves that are great value and you can assemble them almost anyway you'd want. I went with the Kallax because it was easy to purchase and ready to go, they worked out great for me with minor modification to shorten the shelf depth. In your shoes I'd look at custom ones.

david

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
A colleague has a fetish for making some fantastic LP storage, freestanding cabinets or fitted, in fact one member here on wbf has one, but images below are of the fitted type. Really fancy something like this for myself now :) Drawers through the middle for 7" singles or some CD's, bottom shelf angled upwards slightly, all well thought out.. Very clever girl!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I've seen them Ron, they're way over priced for simple sheet metal shelves. I looked for a very long time for record racks and in the end I found some old ones on ebay that came from an old record store which unfortunately arrived broken and in pieces. As far modern options go I didn't find anything worthwhile compared to a custom build or the alternative Ikea Kallax shelves that are great value and you can assemble them almost anyway you'd want. I went with the Kallax because it was easy to purchase and ready to go, they worked out great for me with minor modification to shorten the shelf depth. In your shoes I'd look at custom ones.

david

Thank you very much, David!

Reactions: ddk

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A colleague has a fetish for making some fantastic LP storage, freestanding cabinets or fitted, in fact one member here on wbf has one, but images below are of the fitted type. Really fancy something like this for myself now :) Drawers through the middle for 7" singles or some CD's, bottom shelf angled upwards slightly, all well thought out.. Very clever girl!

The integrated lighting is pretty neat.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
That was my contribution, so thanks! It does help and look cool..

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

david

I use Kallax, too. It's just so darn easy and you pick colors. I got a stick of trim wood and I cut it, counter sunk it, then drilled it into each shelf to stop stuff from going too far back. They also have nice boxes of sorts that fit into the shelves, I use some at the bottom for cables and rando stuff.

Ron would probably be best with something custom, but maybe from a reputable cabinet place or something... I'm not sure about his contractor now after a butt-jointed wall...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I use Kallax, too. It's just so darn easy and you pick colors. I got a stick of trim wood and I cut it, counter sunk it, then drilled it into each shelf to stop stuff from going too far back. They also have nice boxes of sorts that fit into the shelves, I use some at the bottom for cables and rando stuff.

Ron would probably be best with something custom, but maybe from a reputable cabinet place or something... I'm not sure about his contractor now after a butt-jointed wall...
Exactly what I did with trim wood.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited:

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
I originally designed the storage system in our condominium to maximize space usage. I needed to get seven rows wall to wall with an eight foot ceiling so records pretty much covered the entire wall. It was cinderblock concrete construction. I utilized (48) shelf brackets that support 600 pounds per pair. These were mounted approximately 18 inches apart along each shelf level (not the bottom obviously) anchoring each of them with two 3"X5/16" lag bolts into lead anchors. The satin silver aluminum shelves I ordered from RAKKS were 6" deep so I needed 14 of them wall to wall and were 11' 7" in length.

No shelf flexing at these specs even full of records. The brackets act as dividers. Granted a bit far apart but mine are fairly full to keep them all relatively vertical.

So a couple years ago we retired and I moved us out of our condo and purchased our larger house which I moved us into (groan). The living room (now my listening room-thanks Honey!) side wall was two feet longer so I split the difference when setting up the same shelving. Waste not want not. It conveniently left room to mount my Eighth Nerve room treatments in those two corners. The wall wasn't concrete but I just mounted the brackets into the wall studs which were 16" apart.
IMG_1329.jpg I continued the storage along the same wall into the dining area (now my library-thanks Honey!). four bottom rows of 11' 10" RAKKs shelving. IMG_1328.jpg Leaving a gap between the top rows for the window. 87 brackets total and 174 lag bolts into wall studs.Whew!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing