Were you disappointed by WAMM design?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
When Wilson announced the new WAMM project I was expecting something quite different. I expected them to continue on the original theme.
Instead they produced what is imo a classic box speaker. Something that was already available in the top of the line speakers.
I have not heard it. There is no reason to suspect it is not commensurate with their other fine efforts.
However it is not the modular design of the original.
It sort of reminds me of the Martin Logan CLX. It is fine speaker. But it was not an e tension of the CLS.

Reactions: Andrew S.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
When Wilson announced the new WAMM project I was expecting something quite different. I expected them to continue on the original theme.
Instead they produced what is imo a classic box speaker. Something that was already available in the top of the line speakers.
I have not heard it. There is no reason to suspect it is not commensurate with their other fine efforts.
However it is not the modular design of the original.
It sort of reminds me of the Martin Logan CLX. It is fine speaker. But it was not an e tension of the CLS.
Are you looking at the correct speakers...model...etc?....
The latest ( New), WAMM is identical in concept, ie: one large woofer box housing two woofers, than a stack of vertical individual modules, that can be adjusted back and forth . The only real difference (besides no longer needing a parametric equalizer, that the original WAMM required) is the new model is far more sophisticated in it’s execution and materials used to fabricate the drivers and the enclosures.
Cheers.....

Last edited:

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I'm disappointed because I don't have the room and I can't afford it even if I had the room. I personally see it as an updated/improved version.

Reactions: FDPDK

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Are you looking at the correct speakers...model...etc?....
The latest ( New), WAMM is identical in concept, ie: one large woofer box housing two woofers, than a stack of vertical individual modules, that can be adjusted back and forth . The only real difference (besides no longer needing a parametric equalizer, that the original WAMM required) is the new model is far more sophisticated in it’s execution and materials used to fabricate the drivers and the enclosures.
Cheers.....

I was going to post something in the same sense when I read your post - the basic principle, moveable units to get time alignment - is the same.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm disappointed because I don't have the room and I can't afford it even if I had the room. I personally see it as an updated/improved version.

If I could afford them I would also get the space ...

But thanks, thinking that the WAMM is just an improved XLF makes me happy! Unfortunately I listened to the WAMM and know it is a little more than just an improvement. :oops:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the new WAMM seems to be a successful product design as far as i can tell.

the only 'gotcha' is that subsequent Wilson Audio driver design advances incorporated in the XVX are said to be superior, and not retro fit-able. reports are that possibly some prefer the "half WAMM price" and "not limited edition" XVX to the WAMM. had i invested in the WAMM that would be 'disappointing'. i would have assumed the clear top of line position of that product be longer lasting.

i've heard neither product and am only going on second hand feedback i have read.

i don't see anything nefarious in this situation, and don't expect it was intentional.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I tend to be an old school guy. I recall those pictures 9f Dave and his lovely wife
You know the ones with the subs in the corner
I hear the subs are optional.
I am.never going to be a customer so they don't have to please. I just think it would have been
Don't think it would be fun to construct your on WAMM. Heck you could even use Wilson speakers.You might save some money.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I thought it might be less diminishing returns style... but it's hard as hell to innovate in this arena so I can't hold it against them too much.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

the only 'gotcha' is that subsequent Wilson Audio driver design advances incorporated in the XVX are said to be superior, and not retro fit-able. reports are that possibly some prefer the "half WAMM price" and "not limited edition" XVX to the WAMM. had i invested in the WAMM that would be 'disappointing'. i would have assumed the clear top of line position of that product be longer lasting.

i've heard neither product and am only going on second hand feedback i have read.

i don't see anything nefarious in this situation, and don't expect it was intentional.

Mike,

I would first question if the people who report on the XVX preference have listened to the WAMM in top conditions - all I read is from people listening to demos.

From my experience some audiophiles experience great pleasure telling that something costing half the price "is better" than the more costly. Unfortunately I never found it with properly designed and matched equipment.

Due to ceiling height of my new space I will probably need to change speakers. Although I can compensate in some aspects I know what I will loose in scale and realism.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest

Hi Mike,

nice shot mike ;).

I have heard both the WAMM and XVX correctly set up and optimized. The XVX is a fantastic transducer, IMHO, only bested by the WAMM in the modern arena.

vbw,
-a

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike,

I would first question if the people who report on the XVX preference have listened to the WAMM in top conditions - all I read is from people listening to demos.

From my experience some audiophiles experience great pleasure telling that something costing half the price "is better" than the more costly. Unfortunately I never found it with properly designed and matched equipment.

Due to ceiling height of my new space I will probably need to change speakers. Although I can compensate in some aspects I know what I will loose in scale and realism.
I do take pleasure in announcing that there is an equal or superior to a more expensive product. That is not to suggest the WAMM is not singular in its result.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

nice shot mike ;).

I have heard both the WAMM and XVX correctly set up and optimized. The XVX is a fantastic transducer, IMHO, only bested by the WAMM in the modern arena.

vbw,
-a
first feedback i've read with that viewpoint and a valuable data point. maybe others will chime in likewise.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do take pleasure in announcing that there is an equal or superior to a more expensive product.

My terms were more precise and were not so general. But I am always ready to learn about such events and discuss them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing