What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

While he may not impart as much drama as some other players, this is fine playing by any standard, and the sound is superb.

71rYoG2-qnL._SX522_.jpg

Not really being an expert on contemporary performers, at first I thought, wow, this is a nice remastering from a 1970s analogue recording to SACD. Just the thing to listen to after watching my Goodies DVD. Then I looked him up.

I think his page on Wikipedia looks a bit better to me...

That is some hairstyle...

And no, I should not comment on appearances, but I know that anyone looking at that album cover is going to be zeroing in on that coiffure!!

Tonight, this was playing in the system...one of my favorite Shaded Dogs, particularly in a 1s 1s copy...View attachment 26332

You may missed other threads on that LP, but the just-reissued version of this by analogue Productions has been pulled from the shelves after just a couple of weeks on the market due to a speed problem with either the tape machine or record lathe! Somehow this was missed in the test pressings since the problem was only detected after customer complaints.

I think this LP is somewhat under appreciated, the violin tone is superb...again best in a 1s 1s copy: View attachment 26333

I just bought the Analogue Productions reissue of this. I think the sound is much closer to the digital remasterings of it than the early original reissues such as yours. In the AP reissue the solo violin is also a bit recessed compared to the rest of the orchestra, though only in relative terms compared to other concerto releases of the era. Certainly in his later recordings for Mercury, he is more spot-lit. The string tone is still reasonably good on the reissue but the overall recording is somewhat dry compared to the best of the US Living Stereos.

51XwdcPgPLL._SX450_.jpg
Selections from Walkure were on the menu last night.

Here's a little taste!

sounds exceptional...his technical mastery is unusual. As his producer, Marianne, says...incredibly light and crisp yet with a dynamic power that is very richly expressive. wow. Thank you. Have ordered and look forward to hearing it!

You're welcome. I heard him in concert a few years ago--he was phenomenal.

For Bach's birthday.

51tQIiTnFCL.jpg

61Xwj-397vL._SX522_.jpg

You may missed other threads on that LP, but the just-reissued version of this by analogue Productions has been pulled from the shelves after just a couple of weeks on the market due to a speed problem with either the tape machine or record lathe! Somehow this was missed in the test pressings since the problem was only detected after customer complaints.

I just bought the Analogue Productions reissue of this. I think the sound is much closer to the digital remasterings of it than the early original reissues such as yours. In the AP reissue the solo violin is also a bit recessed compared to the rest of the orchestra, though only in relative terms compared to other concerto releases of the era. Certainly in his later recordings for Mercury, he is more spot-lit. The string tone is still reasonably good on the reissue but the overall recording is somewhat dry compared to the best of the US Living Stereos.

Fiddle Faddle, the versions I am referring to are not original 'reissues', they are the original pressings:D. I have not heard any of the reissues, but my 1s1s Lalo does not portray the solo violin as recessed in any way. When it comes to digital remasters, I tend to shy away from these, mainly for the reasons that you are expounding.

Fiddle Faddle, the versions I am referring to are not original 'reissues', they are the original pressings:D. I have not heard any of the reissues, but my 1s1s Lalo does not portray the solo violin as recessed in any way. When it comes to digital remasters, I tend to shy away from these, mainly for the reasons that you are expounding.

Sorry, that was a slip of the brain / fingers. I am of course aware that yours are the original issues. I don't blame you for sticking to them. Michael Fremer did some transcriptions of LSC 2446 when the new AP reissues were just coming onto the market. I preferred the original 1S pressing to any of the reissues. That said, the reissues had some positive attributes missing in the originals, though the originals to me still sounded more like a real concert. Owners of originals will not like me for saying this, but I actually believe the recent reissues are closer to the actual master tape sound than the originals are..

but...

and it is a big but...

in the end, the originals still sound better. In my view this is because the sonic character of those master tapes combined synergistically with the long production process to the finished vinyl LP produced sonically better end result.

Sorry, that was a slip of the brain / fingers. I am of course aware that yours are the original issues. I don't blame you for sticking to them. Michael Fremer did some transcriptions of LSC 2446 when the new AP reissues were just coming onto the market. I preferred the original 1S pressing to any of the reissues. That said, the reissues had some positive attributes missing in the originals, though the originals to me still sounded more like a real concert. Owners of originals will not like me for saying this, but I actually believe the recent reissues are closer to the actual master tape sound than the originals are..

but...

and it is a big but...

in the end, the originals still sound better. In my view this is because the sonic character of those master tapes combined synergistically with the long production process to the finished vinyl LP produced sonically better end result.

Agreed. Plus, I think that the reissues are probably going to be overall quieter in the groove. This is particularly true with the jazz reissues that I own. Back in the day, the original jazz LP's were played a lot...typically on poor gear. ( Can we say stacking TT here).
Interestingly, the classical LP's ( at least IME) were not so prone to groove damage etc., I believe simply because they were played a lot less. Luckily, most of my classical originals are pretty quiet in the groove ( Mint or NM) BUT...the reissues I own are quieter still.

Great stuff...have you listened to the following Art of the Fugue?

Bach - Art of the Fugue Emerson.jpgBach - Art of the Fugue - Emerson.jpgBach - Art of the Fugue - Gould.jpgBach - Art of the Fugue - Delme.jpg

You're welcome. I heard him in concert a few years ago--he was phenomenal.

For Bach's birthday.

51tQIiTnFCL.jpg

61Xwj-397vL._SX522_.jpg

Yes, I have. The Emerson SQ plays it well, but I just prefer the piano version--maybe I'm biased because I play the piano!

Yes, I have. The Emerson SQ plays it well, but I just prefer the piano version--maybe I'm biased because I play the piano!

Thanks...will definitely give it a listen.

These concerti feature some freakishly high pitches, which pose occasional problems for her, but overall the playing is very good, and the sound is stunning.

514TJALtA%2BL.jpg

Also check out versions by Feltsman, Sokolov, Lifschitz, and Nikolayeva. Airmard's comes across as perfect but perhaps a little mechanical.

Thanks! I like Sokolov's playing from what i recall.

His doesn't have great sound, but the playing is certainly fine. Two others to consider are Rangell and Koroliov.

do you have a particular one you would recommend above the others? (BTW, i am thinking about Tokyo Quartet Beethoven Quartets)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing