What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
With Beethoven there always seems so much underlying struggle with the great darkness but some of the most extraordinarily beautiful music comes out of this battle.

Fidelio appears to have involved much the same struggle for Beethoven but it has all the extraordinary majesty his best work always evokes.

Usually I’d turn to Klemperer, Vickers and Ludwig... but Abbado, Kaufman and Semme are also compelling.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Adding Zlata Chochieva to my list of Chopin go to pianists along with Argerich, Arrau, Rubinstein etc. This is fluid and fantastic...much beauty and poetry this is just liberation. Extraordinary.

Last edited:
Reactions: accwai and rando

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Händel: Sonatas for Violin and Basso Continuo
Ryo Terakado, Christophe Rousset, Hidemi Suzuki, Kaori Uemura

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

RIP Ennio, one of the greatest cinema composers of all time!

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Fortuitous discovery of this album lead to some pleasant pre-dawn listening this morning + virtual choir video from 2012.

Reactions: accwai

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you are able to understand french and appreciate Stravinsky this recording is mandatory. Exceptional narrators, a fresh and soulful recording with the known recording quality of Harmonia Mundi.

a1.jpg

Reactions: rando

audiorkr

Jul 18, 2020
fantastic story...i have received a few copies over the years this way as well though not from the artist directly but from the producers:

I contacted Lipinski regarding their exceedingly rare recording of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony...conducted by Gorecki himself in his home town. And they were so kind and pleased, they sent me a copy gratis, along with their equally legendary Pendericki recording. Both fabulously well done. I was invited by them to come listen to their flagship speakers in Poland, and no doubt we will go at some point. Just have to find the time!

Did you go to Poland in the meanwhile? I listened to them in The Netherlands. I own the flagship Lipinski's now and there is nothing like it for me (of course it is personal, but anyone who hears them is just amazed by the sound). The 3rd Symphony is really well recorded.

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Even more emotional than Ms. Hahn’s performance. From Max Richter’s upcoming album Voices.

Reactions: accwai and Manesp2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing