What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I discovered Idagio today (just signed up for a free trial membership to use on my desktop computer). Here is the first album I discovered. Couldn't help myself with all the accordion jokes.
View attachment 80487
Decades ago I had a bumper sticker that stated, "Play the accordion, go to jail. It's the law." :)

• Haha
Reactions: rando

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Unfortunately, Hyperion does not allow streaming of their recordings. Someone has uploaded a decidedly lo-fi excerpt of the Medtner work on Youtube.

Bugger. You are right! Don't tell me I might have to buy something....
This is a very fortunate find that is sensational in my view. I had had the Haydn quartets op. 33 played by the Eybler Quartet for quite a while now, which I immensely enjoyed, and based on that had explored a number of their other recordings. This US American-Canadian ensemble specializes in music from the first century of string quartet writing, and plays on period instruments, with details of their makeup, including choice if strings, also based on their own research. Their recordings of Beethoven's early string quartets op. 18 are fantastic, and they have recorded lesser know composers as well. The string quartets of Vanhal and Asplmayr are very charming and really good, enjoyable music.

But the quartets by the composer Eybler, after whom the Quartet Ensemble named itself, are something else. About 45 seconds into the beginning of this CD (string quartet op 1/2) I said a big "Wow!", as I knew right then that this was the music of a genius, and I have been sold and ever deeper involved with this music ever since. Fantastic melodies and transitions between them, great melodic/thematic developments and wonderful harmonic and contrapuntal work.

Eybler was a close friend of Mozart, who entrusted him with training his singers for his opera Cosi van Tutte. After Mozart's death, his widow Constanze asked Eybler to finish his Requiem, but Eybler, perhaps out of respect, could not bring himself to do the job, so Suessmayer eventually did it. Beethoven's teacher Albrechtsberger said, before Beethoven broke onto the scene, that after Mozart the greatest genius you could find in all of Vienna was Eybler.

Music history is sometimes cruel in its choices of whom to elevate for prosperity. Eybler fell through the cracks. But no wonder that the Eybler Quartet would choose just this name for itself.

Great Post. Thanks Al. Learned something today.

Oh this is very interesting. Thank you.

Reactions: rando and Al M.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
1627504590865.png

Reactions: rando and Andrew S.

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Streaming on tidal

Attachments

• DD73C10E-66FE-4376-A0CF-73F72392783F.jpeg
    DD73C10E-66FE-4376-A0CF-73F72392783F.jpeg
    807.4 KB · Views: 5

jandl100

Mar 6, 2018
Forest of Dean, UK
Recent discovery for me, Castelnuovo-Tedesco. 20thC Italian, moved to America midlife.
Excellent mainstream classical.

The piano quintets are both lovely works.

Reactions: rando and Andrew S.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
It's hard to beat the Alpha label for great Baroque recordings. Anyway, yes, the organists are not using some puny Baroque organ, but they don't turn these works into Louis Vierne, either!
24/96 FLAC...Qobuz has it, too.

1627771923108.png

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Beautiful music (Violin Concerto No.2, Cello Concerto, Viola Concerto), great playing, and exemplary sound. DSD 128. (It's also available as an SACD on the 2L label.) More info and samples at https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue...18139b-cce6fbb293-165817570&mc_cid=cce6fbb293
Great stuff. Do not know Stale Kleiberg at all - never heard of him (or her).

I've got quite a few 2L DSD - they make great recordings.

What do you use to play back your DSD mate? The Esoteric?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Great stuff. Do not know Stale Kleiberg at all - never heard of him (or her).

I've got quite a few 2L DSD - they make great recordings.

What do you use to play back your DSD mate? The Esoteric?
Kleiberg is male. :) He was born in 1958 in Norway. I have another recording of his music titled "Treble and Bass--the Violin Concerto No.1 and the String Bass Concerto--another excellent recording from 2L.

If it's an SACD, yes, but for DSD and FLAC files I play them from an HP laptop into the DAC on my Oppo 205. I was using a Chord Qutest DAC, but it wouldn't play DSD files at all from my HP laptop--had terrible distortion. I could sort of play DSD via my MacBook Pro, but that new Kleiberg DSD recording had lots of popping noises through the Mac/Chord, so I took the Chord out of my system, and I'm sending it back. I'm on the lookout for a new DAC. (The DAC in my McIntosh amp causes my Audirvana software to crash when I use it--dang, I can win for losing!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew S.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015

jandl100

Mar 6, 2018
Forest of Dean, UK
Mozart's piano quartets.
Walter Klien and the Amadeus string quartet on an old stereo DG album.

Marvellous music, this Oldie is far from the most transparent and natural recording of them, but for me the exuberant fluidity of the playing really brings out all aspects of the the music's perfection and hits the spot nicely.
It's a slightly 'sturdy' style that is of its time, but then what performances aren't?
Superb musicianship imo.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
It's hard to beat the Alpha label for great Baroque recordings. Anyway, yes, the organists are not using some puny Baroque organ, but they don't turn these works into Louis Vierne, either!

View attachment 80647

View attachment 80647
Great organ cover And hall.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing