What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

20221031_104721.jpg

Reactions: rando
Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 3.01.08 PM.png

I was in Roon "explore" mode the other night comparing some versions of M1 to each other and came across this totally by happen stance. I never heard of Daniel Harding previously . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Harding
A protege of Simon Rattle, and now 45 years old, he has a surprising number of Mahler recordings under his belt. I was very impressed. This guy's got the goods when it comes to Mahler! I look forward to exploring his recordings more. When the NY Phil looks to replace Jaap Van Zweeden next year, I hope they consider this guy. (I'm also rooting for Marin Alsop). The only down side is that he flies his own plane. (I really hope he stops doing that!)

Reactions: christoph and tima
1200x1198.jpg

Dmitry Shostakovich: String Quartet nos. 5 and 6
Pacifica Quartet

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODAwMjE5MS4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZS...jpg

Shame the long gone Çedille full catalog purchase option was delivered so poorly as it was potentially great value for money if you didn't require the physical product.

1667578989805.png

Anyone remember reading stories of scandalously unartistic performances deemed too intoxicating for lowly uneducated peasants to consume without inducing lifelong madness and hysteria? This is like that.

c7cnr4nlvv5fc_600.jpg

Georg Christoph Wagenseil (1715-1777): Six Sonatas for Violin, Cello and Violone
Musica Elegentia
Matteo Cicchitti, violone & musical director
Paola Nervi, violin
Antonio Coloccia, cello

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiOTMwNjA0Ny4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZS...jpg

Hard to believe I was 10 when this CD came out!..

51FbSrtnBHL._SY580_.jpg

Last edited:
From the booklet:
Max Bruch was very successful not only as a composer but also as a conductor and teacher. In 1891 he took over the most advanced classes in composition in Berlin. His pupils included Ottorino Respighi and Ralph Vaughan Williams. His comment to Vaughan Williams: ‘You must not write eye music, you must write ear music’ clearly shows Bruch’s credo as a composer.

7318599920696_600.jpg

Antonio Vivaldi: 12 Concertos, Op. 4 “La Stravaganza”
Monica Huggett, violin
The Academy of Ancient Music - - Christopher Hogwood

81xfOF9w7hL._SL1088_.jpg

1970 Connoisseur Society release given anonymous digital mastering and reissue on streaming. Provided art is poorly recycled, laughably so.

Unique low wattage playing style Moszkowski's 15 Virtuoso Études is far from thrown together as might be surmised by digital packaging.

kahh6sgeny77b_600.jpg

1668050991100.png

What are you currently listening to (Classical)?​

1668104616133.png

Not for the moment but soon enough I hope...

Reactions: rando
Gaetano Brunetti (1744-1798): String Quartets
Carmen Veneris

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODAzODY0Ni4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZS...jpg

Clara Iannotta (b.1983): orchestral & ensemble works (2009-2014)
Ensemble Intercontemporain - - Matthias Pintscher
ensemble recherche
Talea Ensemble
Orchestre des Èlèves du Conservatoire National Supérieur de Paris - - Tito Ceccherini

R-7994674-1453241782-7710.jpg

Gaetano Brunetti: Divertimenti a violino, viola e violoncello
Concerto 1700 - - Daniel Pinteño

ia6wds2258jkb_600.jpg

Ji?í Antonín Benda (1722–1795): Harpsichord concertos
Edita Keglerová - harpsichord
Hipocondria Ensemble

preview510.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing