What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Manesp2

Dec 19, 2019
Bloch: Suites for Solo Cello
Dallapiccola: Ciaccona, Intermezzo e Adagio
Ligeti: Sonata for Solo Cello

Natalie Clein

Yes, this happens on my tablet. Computer based browsers work fine though. Might have something to do with allmusic fiddling with their Cross-Origin Resource Sharing configuration. But those images also carry link to the corresponding album entry on allmusic, so I figure using their album images here is fair game. Just for today, I have sourced the image above from Amazon. The linked album entry is still on allmusic and AWS object store is partly charged by traffic. So in a way this isn't fair to Amazon retail. Another possibility would be to copy the images to this site. Don't like the copyrights implication though...

I would assume you mean the first few notes in the Theme movement. What about them turns you away? Any comment on the 5th Metamorphoses where the color switches back and forth? I'm curious about any oboe recording that has the same breadth or color, pitch and dynamics that you're happy with. Any suggestions?

Like this?

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ntly-listening-to-classical.19654/post-622805

His symphonies from the Chandos Contempories of Mozart series is very good too:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 10351

I've been posting entries from this series here for a while. They're uniformly good. Don't have this particular one though. Will make a note to get it soon...[/QUOTE

Accwai...your post-622805 (... I missed that one...) is a recommendation I will investigate.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
@accwai Figured it was outside your control or polite mention would've been quicker in coming. The ease of exploring your usually high quality selections was being diminished slightly. ;)

As for the album in question, partially at fault were ears anticipating propitious relaxation of a vein similar to selections that proceeded it. Listening to the opening notes it was vividly clear personal and technical artistry had assumed prominence. Binned. Maybe a year later another listen attempted to peel back inflections of HIP or anything else likely to be used to sell albums and not a studied recital performance. Rekindling previous impressions still leads towards thinking she was too clever R E E D ing the works. Took each composer's placement of elements and blatantly etched them to produce her aggrandizing setting.

Taste was found wanting, prepared over poplar not oak. Though I understand how your early music palate was complimented. This is 20th century music (I only commented on not getting along with this album because we are acquainted).

A newer SACD of organ transcriptions I was happy to find RR allows freely downloading an alternate version of the last track from on their site.

...the unique façade features fully functional wooden pipes hand-built by Casavant Frères artists, and its design echoes the preponderance of wood in Helzberg Hall, designed by Moshe Safdie. In turn, the gorgeous Alaskan cedar, Douglas fir, and oak in the rest of Helzberg Hall were selected by acoustician Yasu Toyota for their specific resonant qualities, making the hall, musicians, and organ work together as one perfectly tuned instrument.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Found this a rather unique entry into especially the classical accordion repertoire. Felt a few works should have been held back.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
[...] The ease of exploring your usually high quality selections was being diminished slightly. ;)
As I'm not trying to attain anything, there is nothing to (be) diminish(ed) ;)
As for the album in question, partially at fault were ears anticipating propitious relaxation of a vein similar to selections that proceeded it. Listening to the opening notes it was vividly clear personal and technical artistry had assumed prominence. Binned. Maybe a year later another listen attempted to peel back inflections of HIP or anything else likely to be used to sell albums and not a studied recital performance. Rekindling previous impressions still leads towards thinking she was too clever R E E D ing the works. Took each composer's placement of elements and blatantly etched them to produce her aggrandizing setting. [...]
The piece in question is relatively new so score is a little difficult to come by. The sample below is from random sheet music vendor on the net. No idea if it's urtext or not but google search results all look more or less the same. So I would assume they're all reasonably authentic:

Andante rubato and pianissimo espressivo right at the beginning, then dynamic marks all over the place. Hmm... To be honest Jahren's dynamics seems rather literal to me, except for the missing accents. Where are the aggrandizing liberties taken? As for reeding, I'm not very up on oboe techniques. Other than vibrato on the really long tied notes, there doesn't seem to be any peeping or crowing. There are glissando elsewhere in the album but not here. So what oboistic trickeries are being played here?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
@accwai

Sound she produced and the particular qualities chosen to effect it did not resonate with me. Read that back in a propitious and then a captious manner. As straight a reading as you feel manages the desired parameters.

RvB and his artists are among the very few making commercial recordings worthy of drawing a hiss. By staying inside very strict parameters yet making their impact beyond.

I look forward to the day reattaining album art in your posts occurs. :)

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
shop-bb-192_m.jpg

Reactions: Bachtoven

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Which one do you like more? :D

20200216_084636~2.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Streamed the VM, will have to buy the Grumiaux.
For the two Grumiaux CDs, only a made-in-Japan version is available.

Reactions: rando

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
For the two Grumiaux CDs, only a made-in-Japan version is available.
Hello, the Japan edition is vastly superior to the older Philips version — worth having!

Listening to E. Ney / Abendroth - Berlin Phil playing Beethoven 5. A 1944 recording; fascinating performance (
)
Musical & emotionally charged at the same time!
Regards

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Very safe first release on the National Symphony Orchestra (NSO) label in partnership with LSO Live, recorded live by SoundMirror in DSD. Full cycle of Beethoven symphonies tentatively slated for June.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Is it possible to share your reasons for that? Mullova came back and recorded the partitas again with the sonatas ten years later with a half HIP setup. How does that one compare?
Hello, the Japan edition is vastly superior to the older Philips version — worth having!
How would one source these Japanese CDs then? Discogs has a listing for Grumiaux standalone Bach solo sonatas CD, Japanese only indeed. But the corresponding standalone solo partitas is listed as LP only. The former currently has a single seller asking €24.50, but how would one go about getting the partitas CD?

By the way, what year is the Japanese pressing? Would the 2001 Philips EU complete set be older, newer or vastly inferior regardless? And does that same apply to the 2006 Philips EU version for Mullova as well?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Beatrice-Rana.jpg

I was listening to Roon Radio (fabulous- the best algorithm for playing what you like once you enter the seminal selection or album. Even better than Pandora but of course much better SQ) ) for most of the day and this one stopped me in my tracks.

Beatrice Rana is a nascent superstar. She was a teenage prodigy but didn’t over expose herself. She is now taking a measured profile towards sure stardom. There are so many great young pianists and she is clearly among them. In fact, almost by coincidence, I received the NY Philharmonic 20-21 program schedule today and see she is making her debut with the NY Phil this fall.

I think this is her third CD, the last being in 2017. But her playing had me look up from my work two rooms away from the music room, and go check to see who was playing. She’s quite special. This is powerful playing and reminds me of a young Martha Argerich. Particularly impressive is Ravel’s La Valse, which is rarely recorded because it’s so damn hard to play. Her Stravinsky is textured, flawless and big in a wow kind of way.

The call between Qobuz and Tidal MQA is a tough one and I see merits to both. The Qobuz 24/96 Flac file is more immediate with “they are here” transients of the real thing. Tidal's 192 file is a bit more laid back and arguably a bit more natural sounding with “you are there” concert hall warmth. Both are however excellent renditions of a fine recording. Enjoy,

Last edited:
Reactions: Bachtoven

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Shostakovich Violin Concerto 1.
Listened to them last night.
Again which one you like more?
Easier or more difficult to choose this time?
:D

20200301_113333~3.jpg

Reactions: Manesp2

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Reactions: CKKeung and Manesp2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing