What are you favorite 845 tubes?

More than welcome. Power tubes are, imo, tricky (and NOS ridiculous). I have experimented more with the smaller driver and phase tubes internally. You may find some interesting insights here: https://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html. I certainly experimented.

For sure, quality never goes out of style. I cannot decide whether to get another pair for bi-amping (bi-wired), a Classic Amp for the same, or seek a new design completely (all Ypsilon?). Nagra service is dependable too (As is Epsilon, btw). That means a lot with this level of investment on components. In truth, I think I'd change the speakers before the amps. I cannot fault them, even against to comparisons I have made (Spectral 300s, Boulder 1060 & 2060, Burmester 956 - probably the weakest here).I perhaps miss the scale of the 2060 - but it's a machine compared to an instrument set against the VPAs...

Have a great day.

Reactions: Golum
I use Psvane ACME 845s...a matched pair in each of my 2 Chalice Audio ' Grail" mono blocks..have tried most of what are called the best of the 845s..

They well be a very good tube. No good for an unmodified Nagra VPA, however as they won't fit. ACME range use a 66mm dia glass enclosure (as do many others nowadays) so these will not fit through the milled opening in the Nagra top plate.

It is (should be) possible to modify the VPAs by shortening the standoff hex fasteners for the tube sockets so that the tube glass "terminates" before entering the opening in the top plate (with just the base cap going through). May even be possible without altering the wiring. BUT, that won't solve for the tube guards or the tube finisher rings. These are technically optional, of course.

With Linlai being a waste of time, Shuguang closed for the foreseeable, KR being out of the original RCA spec (at least according to Nagra), Elrog too big (that again) that only leaves PSvane and Sophia. The latter, I'm told being rubbish and the former increasingly making larger dia. tubes. Add that to international supply chain tensions, and modifying the VPA may become the only choice for tubes. I hear from Nagra 211s can work, if anyone had any sonic experience there. Doesn't solve all the issues, but does allow for a wider choice...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing