What 'Audiophile Records' lived up to your expectation?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
the Road Father disc should be quite satisfying. thanks for posting your system, now could you put it in your profile for future access?

i am a nag and nag for this a lot at the asylum. please dont take offense.

not at all, hifitommy. i plan to play Road Father very soon. it's been a long long time since i played it. second time could be magic. :) i'll try to post my system on my profile too.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Three labels that didn't draw any attention were the Japanese RVC series, Three Blind Mice and Cisco. Anyone have any faves among these?

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Three labels that didn't draw any attention were the Japanese RVC series, Three Blind Mice and Cisco. Anyone have any faves among these?

I have a couple of Cisco releases: Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat and The Hunter, and a Gary Karr LP whose name I can't recall of the top of my head. All three are great.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, excellent pressings. My favorites are:

1. TBM 23 - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto's 'Midnight Sugar'. The cut 'Nearness of You' is something else.
2. RVC 2154 'Natsu Nebutsu-Summer Prayer'.
3. RVC 1 - Audio Symphony Vol.1
4. Cisco - Clair Marlo's 'Let it Go'. I prefer this over Sheffield's pressing, which has a tad more sibilants than normal.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
To add a favorite Japanese pressing of mine, and I have a few friends who like it as well. Audiolab's 'La Vie', with Pierre Buzon on the Bosendorfer piano.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, excellent pressings. My favorites are:

1. TBM 23 - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto's 'Midnight Sugar'. The cut 'Nearness of You' is something else.
2. RVC 2154 'Natsu Nebutsu-Summer Prayer'.
3. RVC 1 - Audio Symphony Vol.1
4. Cisco - Clair Marlo's 'Let it Go'. I prefer this over Sheffield's pressing, which has a tad more sibilants than normal.

Particularly agree on #2. Was at one time on HP's list and have always used it as a reference and have several mint backup copies.

I'm going to throw out some more favorites:

On S&P: (all Steve Hoffman remasterings)
Eva Cassidy (Great singing/music, sound is ok)
Latin ala Lee
Bewitching Lee

On TBM:

Black Orpheus
Midnight Sugar (45 rpm)
Girl Talk (45 rpm)
Misty (45 rpm)
Mari (45 rpm)

On Wilson:

Concert with James Welch (For those who want to test the bottom end extension of your extension; good music too)

Test Records:

Technics '80 (45 rpm -for the first two cuts on side two with laurindo Almeida and Joe Sample)

On German Musica Viva:

The New Colophonium Bass Quartet (real fun)

On Gale Records, same music, recorded a little more naturally and on King Super Analogue, recorded from a closer perspective

Super Percussion (King)
Music for Percussion (Gale)

That's it for now!

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am really liking Winston Ma's latest version of Jazz At The Pawn Shop in limited release K2HD

I heard a 15 ips copy of Jazz at the Pawnshop about four months ago and was drooling!

hifitommy

whyy do people love to hate JATPawnshop?

is it because they have heard it too damm many times in demo? i think the music is good and well performed as well as well captured.

i can sort of understand a little of that because back in the late 70s you heard cat stevens and carly simon EVERYWHERE along with the early sheffield DTDs.

anyway, i first heard midnight sugar on CD and thought it was a great example of recorded piano with fantastic transients. yeah, thats true and the 45rpm (2LPs) version i got from cisco seals that up nicely.

latin a la lee is pretty nice, got it for a good price. i made the discovery that my oc9 stylus (the diamond had just FALLEN off) was gone. using that record. at first i thought it was the record.

as great as the audiophile records are, there are many conventional LPs that are pretty spectacular just as they arrived in standard form. keep your eye out for an album just called 'osamu' with a pastel air brushed cover. the music is cutting edge and the recording is quite lifelike in places.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
is it because they have heard it too damm many times in demo? i think the music is good and well performed as well as well captured.

It's interesting that in the 80's particularly, this 2 LP album was always used by dealers as 'demo record'. And it would stun a lot of listeners who eventually would buy the audio gears the were auditioning. (Me included). Nobody hated that album then, at least I never heard such comments. Even in the HK audio circles, the album was popular. But lately, circa year 2000 to present, I begin to hear buzz on how lousy the music is and some even wondered why this album is so popular. Well, I do not know why but I personally do not hate it. LOL I actually had the original album before but now I'm holding on to the JVC half speed mastered copy by Jack Hunt.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's interesting that in the 80's particularly, this 2 LP album was always used by dealers as 'demo record'. And it would stun a lot of listeners who eventually would buy the audio gears the were auditioning. (Me included). Nobody hated that album then, at least I never heard such comments. Even in the HK audio circles, the album was popular. But lately, circa year 2000 to present, I begin to hear buzz on how lousy the music is and some even wondered why this album is so popular. Well, I do not know why but I personally do not hate it. LOL I actually had the original album before but now I'm holding on to the JVC half speed mastered copy by Jack Hunt.

you should have a listen to the special K2HD version to which I made reference

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
you should have a listen to the special K2HD version to which I made reference

Will be on the lookout for a copy on my next trip to HK. I have a few K2 CDs, I can imagine the improvements in the K2HD format.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am really liking Winston Ma's latest version of Jazz At The Pawn Shop in limited release K2HD

Speaking of Winston, one of the nicest guys in the industry, did you ever pick up a XRCD or SACD of Favorite Chinese Instruments. It was a digital reference for me and still is.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Speaking of Winston, one of the nicest guys in the industry, did you ever pick up a XRCD or SACD of Favorite Chinese Instruments. It was a digital reference for me and still is.

I have the XRCD version

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing